Are you tipping enough?

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This post was in no way directed at any certain country or area, this post is directed at the people who know how much to tip, and don't. When they eat out with other people, they nit pic the food or the something anything else they can, as an excuse not to tip.

I direct this at post at the lady that stiffed her waitress, because the waitress called her "honey".

I think being obnoxious to servers can go deeper than just being cheap. It is often a sign of someone with a mean streak and/or a need to control others or to feel superior. And they find it easy to pick on those in a position of not being able to stand up for themselves.

These types go through their days trying to make themselves feel better by making others feel worse.

The customer is not always right. The customer just might be a total .

Last edited by Laurie2; 03-23-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I tend to give even more (25-30%) when I'm with a large club group because I know the extra work involved, but that's just me.

I had a waitress make change at the table one night and I was due back a penny in addition to dollars. She asked me if I wanted the penny and I laughed and said no...she replied "you'd be surprised" and I said, no I wouldn't....

$5.00 minimum, regardless of bill amount - but always 20% or more unless something is seriously amiss. Jimmie
Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfooter View Post
$5.00 minimum, regardless of bill amount - but always 20% or more unless something is seriously amiss. Jimmie
I consider myself to be a good tipper - seldom less than a minimum of 20%. But $5 as a minimum is excessive if my breakfast or lunch is than $12.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
18% is the standard. 20% is easier to figure up in my head so....
What authority (who) makes the standard? Or, to put it another way, who declares what the standard should be?
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Whatever you tip is nobody's business but your own.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM

Who makes up the rules for tip amounts? Why not give 50%? A person should tip on quality of service. But the amount should be up to the person giving it.
Some cannot afford a larger tip. Some can and don't for many reasons. No one should judge others by the tip they leave. Yes, I agree the restaurants pay too little to the workers. But, that does not mean others must make up the difference.
The restaurant serves food, someone has to bring it to you.
I leave tips based on service not what someone demands I should leave. I find that many give very poor service in and around the villages but still expect big tips.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfooter View Post

Does that include buffets since all the server does is take your drink order?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

"Am I tipping enough?"

Yes.

Thank you for asking.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"Am I tipping enough?"

Yes.

Thank you for asking.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
My thoughts exactly.
And I get a little more tipsy after my second one.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I am not about to pass judgement on anyone regarding how they tip....and moreso what we say here on this board will have every little impact if any on how a person rewards a server for service.

Yes I have heard the stories about how people give 20 ---25 --or more percent as a tip. I congradulate them. On a cruise ship I am often asked should we leave something extra knowing the tips are already included in the cruise fare. I always say " you tip what you are comfortable in tipping...your under no obligation..but if the server provided you good service they should be rewarded..the amount is up to you. "

We are all adults and should know what the (tipping) customs are here in the US...yes it can be difficult when people from other countries visit the US or when americans visit foreign countires but its unfair to highlight Canadians in your example for it could apply to Brits, all Europeans and Asians or even

AMERICANS.

The system is wrong and just like how we pay income taxes in america, so are our tipping policies and I dont expect a change in the near future.. All I can do is control my own actions..and thats what I do.
Really? I've been on a number of cruises and tips were never included in the cruise fare. You can have them added to your cruise cost at $XXX per day, or you may chose to tip on the last day of your cruise. I guess Viking or Crystal may include all gratuities in your cruise fare, but Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean??? Not that I know of!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM

Every cruise I have been on, you tipped out lump sum at the end as well.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Does that include buffets since all the server does is take your drink order?
And bring you your drink. Refill it, 2,3 times or more. Set up the buffet and break it down afterwards. Keep the plates and silverware stocked. Make the tea, make the coffee. Bus the tables.

Yea, I wouldn't tip at a buffet, just because I can get away with it. Heck, I could probably get away with never tipping anyone ever again. Could eat out 2-3 times a week more on the extra money
Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM

I normally tip 20% on the total bill and then round up! It's easier if the service deserves it. If the service is bad (not based on the food itself), then the tip goes down which is only right. If they don't want to work, they prefer to talk to the other employees or friends stopping by or texting or just ignore the customer, then the tip reflects the service.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yea, I wouldn't tip at a buffet, just because I can get away with it. Heck, I could probably get away with never tipping anyone ever again. Could eat out 2-3 times a week more on the extra money
Hey Ozzello, I'm offended that you inferred that I wouldn't tip at a buffet or ANY restaurant. Where did you get that idea? I rarely go to a buffet , Katie Bells now and then, but tip around 15%, not 0 as you said. 15% because the server has done nothing but take my drink order. I usually have to chase them down to get a coffee refill.
Usually 15% at buffets and at least 20% at restaurants where the server really is a server, not a drink order taker.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.