Are you tipping enough?

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When did 20% become the standard? For as long as I can remember it was always a minimum of 15% for good service and more for excellent service. I usually tip 20% as long as the service is decent, but will tip 10% or less if I feel that the server is not doing his or her job.

I was at World of Beer last year having a few exotic beers and the server spent the entire time I was there talking to her friends. She came over once when my glass was still 90% full and asked if I wanted another. When I finished my beer, it was ten minutes before she could tear herself away to ask if I wanted anything else. I ordered a different beer and it took her five minutes to bring it. It's not that she was busy. she had plenty of time to talk with other people at the bar. My bill came to $9 and change. I left a ten and walked away. She was probably cursing me out as some old cheapskate, but the service was truly terrible.
Same here. I usually do 20 or more but it was always 15 % being the norm. I to will give a poor tip for poor service. I hate it when they add an automatic tip for large groups as I've found a guaranteed tip almost always translates to lousy service.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Gold member

Interesting question We normally tip 15 to 20% depending on service but tonight we went with friends to a restaurant in Mt Dora and a conversation with the waitress led to a discussion on tips. When this waitress realized we were from the villages, she proceeded to tell us she used to work at Mallory co club but quit because the villagers were very cheap with their tips. I was shocked to hear this and none of us wanted to get in a discussion with her on this topic so we paid our bill (with our normal tip) and left. Out of the mouth of a former villages waitress
Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 PM

I over tip. I worked as a waitress through college. It was the hardest job I ever had. I probably wasn't very good at it. My dear friend was a waitress for 30 years at a busy diner. She said most waitresses are single moms. If we can afford to go out to dinner, we can afford to take care of the people that serve us. We usually ask to be seated in an area where we know the server.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 AM

You don't tip fast food workers.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Twenty percent and most of our servers here in The Villages deserve much more than that. If I worked as a server for five minutes here, you would see my face in the mug shots.

Also thank them and say something nice if you find it in your heart.

Why did I say that? Of course you do that.

I am not your mom.

Good Morning everyone. It is another lovely day in The Villages.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage

Just curious, who decided that "standard" is 18% ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
18% is the standard. 20% is easier to figure up in my head so....
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage

I always thank the wait staff every time they come to the table. I hope, in some small way, it makes up for some truly atrocious behavior I have seen by some customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;103***3
Twenty percent and most of our servers here in The Villages deserve much more than that. If I worked as a server for five minutes here, you would see my face in the mug shots.

Also thank them and say something nice if you find it in your heart.

Why did I say that? Of course you do that.

I am not your mom.

Good Morning everyone. It is another lovely day in The Villages.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 AM

Not only do servers here make $5/hr....We also have to tip 4% of our TOTAL sales to the bussers and bartenders. So if you tip less than 4% (and some do) it costs us money to wait on you! Ex: If my total sales are $500, I have to give $10 to the bartender and $10 to the bussers.....
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Do you base your tip on pre-tax amount or total bill?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Sage

I was under the impression that your tips must bring your compensation up to $8/hour otherwise your employer must make up the difference. In other words, even if you received no tips during the day you would still make $8/hour regardless of the fact that 4% of your total sales needs to be paid to bussers and bartenders. Isn't that 4% going to be paid regardless of whether you have any tips and you are still guaranteed no less than $8/hour? Based on your post, it sounded like you could actually lose money (i.e. make less than $5/hour) because your tips didn't cover the 4% that is paid to the bussers and bartenders. I am just trying to understand how the law and restaurants operate.

Also, are you better off if we tip in cash instead of putting the tip on a credit card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleh View Post
Not only do servers here make $5/hr....We also have to tip 4% of our TOTAL sales to the bussers and bartenders. So if you tip less than 4% (and some do) it costs us money to wait on you! Ex: If my total sales are $500, I have to give $10 to the bartender and $10 to the bussers.....
Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Gold member

Just a thought. If there wasn't a buck to be made do you think anyone would be waiting tables any where?? You would think they would all quit working in the restaurants and go to the fast food places.

BTW, I do tip but that's between me and my server, I don't have to brag about it here on the board.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
BTW, I do tip but that's between me and my server, I don't have to brag about it here on the board.
Best post of this thread.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Sage
Default Are you tipping enough?

Quote:
...I do tip but that's between me and my server, I don't have to brag about it here on the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Best post of this thread.
Gotta agree.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Just a thought. If there wasn't a buck to be made do you think anyone would be waiting tables any where?? You would think they would all quit working in the restaurants and go to the fast food places.

I agree with your BTW!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

20% minimum here unless the service is poor, than 10%. I will sometime ask if the wait staff keeps their tips or are they split. If they are split I will tip 15% for poor service and have a discussion with the manager. If service is excellent then 25%.....all before taxes.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.