Are you tipping enough?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2015, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Actually often times the SERVERS are the reasons for the problems GETTING to our table. You are there to make sure *BEFORE* you hand us something there's no OBVIOUS ERRORS such as wrong side dish, missing sides of condiments, wrong prices, bartender didn't put salt on the rim but bring it to me anyway my margarita when I ordered it with salt and you took my order, etc.

Most of the issues HONESTLY are because servers JUST DON'T CARE! They are TOO LAZY to even WRITE DOWN things you ask for and then forget them, then most of the time not even say they are sorry even in most cases.

I have had a waitress once where there was a dollar difference in a price on me and my husband's check. Instead of just going to get her manager to fix it, she was trying to out of it saying "Oh the newer menus aren't out yet" it's like I wanted to say to her "What if someone took YOUR DOLLAR from EVERY TIP YOU MADE at EVERY TABLE, HOW YOU'D FEEL THEN?" I didn't tell her that, but I did tell her about if she was at a store, would she not say anything if the price didn't ring up correctly when she went to the register to check out? I mean really, servers are SO SELFISH today in most cases. They can't even think about WE ARE PEOPLE TOO and OUR MONEY IS JUST AS IMPORTANT as theirs is. It is her fault since she can compare the menu prices to the check prices PRIOR to handing us the check and when she would have found the problem she would have gotten her manager to fix it BEFORE she gave us the check, so yeah, it was 100% HER DOING, NOT anyone else's doing since she was the LAST PERSON to see the problem that she could see it. This isn't something like an undercooked steak, this is the difference between $3.99(this was a cup of queso at a mexican restaurant) and on our check was $4.99 when we ordered it as it exactly came off the menu with no modifications to it. We have tipped 25%-30% and upwards as well as stiffed servers, because it all depends on the service. Because of the lazy and uncaring way she handled the issue from the start just by not even TRYING to catch it, then REFUSING to fix it, then not apologizing, she got stiffed over a dollar overcharge. She should have tried to catch this issue. That was only our second visit and didn't order that item the 1st time there, so she had MUCH MORE TIME than us no matter what. It was very slow like 11a.m. on a Saturday lunch, not 8p.m. on a Saturday night either.

If I don't have utensils when I am served food(btw that waitress did just that, so we had nothing to eat with when we were served food.) That's a server issue. Refills forgotten server issue. Bags, boxes, containers for condiments missing server issue when most servers don't write things down that they should be, because they are TOO LAZY to. Also, the servers that you want to give them a list of things at the end like boxes, bags, etc. they walk away so you can't even tell them everything, because they are TOO LAZY TO WRITE DOWN A LIST. It's like they'd RATHER be ran.

There are times servers put in orders wrong, forget to put in orders, bring you out the completely wrong item, etc.

Especially when another server runs the food, 99.99999% of the time, that other server doesn't give a CARE AT ALL about anything since it's not their table, they didn't read the ticket, they don't offer to fix the mistake, they don't offer you refills or anything else, etc.

In general today, in a good 70% of cases, service just sucks. There's not a whole lot of hard worker servers that actually "CARE" about people. It's like they think about the money, but don't realize how they are treating us will GREATLY effect their money.

Most issues come to the customers because of lazy and uncaring servers. THAT IS THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH and you know it!
No, I don't know it. We rarely--and I DO MEAN RARELY, (caps in keeping with the style of the post)--have those kinds of issues with servers.

If I were that upset with servers and had problems with 70% of them, I would start to look inward for the cause and/or choose to cook at home.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
...If I were that upset with servers and had problems with 70% of them, I would start to look inward...
Heh. I was thinking the exact same thing even before I read your reply.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Unless you were planning on entirely stiffing him on a tip, he essentially pre-collected the first 31 cents if his tip when he brought back the change. There are a lot of things that I have worried about in my life but 31 cents was never one of them.
That's the point, that he *PRE-COLLECTED* **********SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY*****************!! You can't do that LEGALLY! He wasn't tipping, *WE* were though.

I am not worried about 31 cents that he could have had it, but the fact that he ***********STOLE*************** it is my issue. I don't care if it was only a penny, theft is theft. He should have been arrested and fired for stealing. I can't grab even a penny out of a register at a store without being thrown out at the very least, isn't that correct? If you agree with me, then WHY you can't see it's THEFT?

It's not about the "amount" of money, it's about *WHAT* he chose to do.

He would have had the 31 cents most likely, but for him to take it without asking first, that's a no-no. That's theft. Stealing is stealing. I can't go into someone's purse and grab a nickle, can I? Well, I am waiting..... If one person can't steal, why can the other just because the person makes tips?

It's not about the "cents" that I wanted back, it was about that he STOLE it WITHOUT our consent.

Do you understand I didn't care about the cents? Do you understand that he TOOK something that wasn't his? THAT is why he got stiffed. He STOLE. When you steal, you should go to jail just like EVERYONE ELSE that steals.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
No, I don't know it. We rarely--and I DO MEAN RARELY, (caps in keeping with the style of the post)--have those kinds of issues with servers.

If I were that upset with servers and had problems with 70% of them, I would start to look inward for the cause and/or choose to cook at home.
You don't eat out much then obviously. We have these issues VERY OFTEN! You must not ask for much and that's why you don't have these issues. I ask for A LOT of things.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Heh. I was thinking the exact same thing even before I read your reply.
WHY? It's not my fault the servers of today are mostly lazy and uncaring people. I can't make them write my order down no matter how much I ask nicely for them to do it. I can't make them stay put so I can tell them my list before they rush off(I would like a box, bag, containers for my condiments, a to-go coke, and the check). Some walk off before I can get through the list.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
You don't eat out much then obviously. We have these issues VERY OFTEN! You must not ask for much and that's why you don't have these issues. I ask for A LOT of things.
We eat out all the time. We travel extensively. If you're polite to your server, you get back what you give.

I ask mostly for what is on the menu. I don't ask for the menu to be rearranged for my "special" needs or ask for things that aren't on the menu, especially when the place is busy. I don't feel I am entitled to walk into a restaurant and start changing around their menu or the way they do things.

I can't even remember the last time we had a problem with a server. We don't raise our voices or talk in all caps.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Tipping

Quote:

We eat out 4 to 5 nights a week. We have never had very bad service. We have had slow service but it was caused by the kitchen. We do not eat in the chains. Always tip a minimum of 20%. We are happy with the service in The Villages. Would like additional better places. Hoping the new Katie Belles is more upscale. It would be great to have a nice dinner before going to The Sharon.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
..We have these issues VERY OFTEN! You must not ask for much and that's why you don't have these issues. I ask for A LOT of things.
You must be very proud. At least you sound that way.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We eat out a lot here in the villages and have very seldom had problems with servers attitudes, bad food, or missing utensils or condiments. It's been our experience when the occasional slip up did occur was when servers were trying cover too many tables due to missing coworkers and the place was packed, which is management's responsibility.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
If you're polite to your server, you get back what you give.
We are polite to our servers. In fact, we are nicer in most cases than they are. Like a lot of them will not say they are sorry when they mess up even when they realize it when we haven't even told them about the issue that they realize "Oh yeah you ordered sucn-n-such" and instead of saying they are sorry, they don't, but we still say "thank you." What does that tell you? That says that we were the nicer people in those situations.

Quote:
I ask mostly for what is on the menu. I don't ask for the menu to be rearranged for my "special" needs or ask for things that aren't on the menu, especially when the place is busy. I don't feel I am entitled to walk into a restaurant and start changing around their menu or the way they do things.
Everyone is entitled to change anything since they are *PAYING* the for the *SERVICE* called a *TIP*. Why are we tipping then if we can't order the way we want to?

Also, you are paying for the food, why can't you have it the way "YOU" want it? Shouldn't everyone be entitled to have what "they" want for "their" money?"

I don't care if it's busy or not, I worked hard for my money to spend it *HOW* I want it to be spent. I am entitled, because my *TIP* makes me entitled to get things how "I" want it. My tip is entitling me to order in the way I want it. WHY? Because legally I don't have to tip in a party of 2, so they are at our mercy if they want our money to follow exact instructions as given. That's what orders are, a set of instructions.

Why do you feel like you aren't entitled when you are paying a tip? I don't understand that? WHY pay a tip if you can't get things how you want it? What's the point of the tip then? WHY pay them a tip if you can't get what you want out of the service considering it's not mandatory to tip(not including of course automatic gratuity in large parties)?

If you are paying the server to do a job, you are like their "boss" since they are asking you how you want your service(how you want your food, what you want to order, how you want your steak or burger cooked, etc.).

Quote:
I can't even remember the last time we had a problem with a server.
That's because you don't ask for a lot and you aren't watching if they are cutting or not as well. I do. Also, do you check every price on your check to make sure it matches the menu? If you don't, you don't know if you were overcharged or not, do you? If you don't watch your server, you don't know if they are cutting or not in front of your turn, do you?

Quote:
We don't raise our voices or talk in all caps.
We don't raise our voices either, we are very nice. As I said before, we are NICER than they are. Also, who cares if it's busy or not, it's your money, you should be able to get what you want for it.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Curious

Quote:
WHY? It's not my fault the servers of today are mostly lazy and uncaring people. I can't make them write my order down no matter how much I ask nicely for them to do it. I can't make them stay put so I can tell them my list before they rush off(I would like a box, bag, containers for my condiments, a to-go coke, and the check). Some walk off before I can get through the list.
What condiments are you putting in a box? I don't think I have ever taken a condiment home.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
We eat out a lot here in the villages and have very seldom had problems with servers attitudes, bad food, or missing utensils or condiments. It's been our experience when the occasional slip up did occur was when servers were trying cover too many tables due to missing coworkers and the place was packed, which is management's responsibility.
It's not the management's responsibility to go in order of TURNS. That means if you were seated first, you should have gotten your utensils or whatever you asked for first that the server can control getting to you first.

I just went to a restaurant that we had just gotten some drinks and an appetizer. It wasn't busy, slow Thursday afternoon(I had some vacation days to take before they went away). I ordered one of the margaritas on the menu with salt on the rocks. Our waitress brings it clearly without salt. So I tell her nicely. She doesn't say she's sorry. First off, any "CARING" human being would have compared her written order to the glass and told the bartender to fix the issue, NOT brought it to me wrong. Let's say she just missed it, a decent human being would have said they were sorry.

Do you see where I am coming from and that's just one issue that was minor, but she could have been NICE about it not only to have PREVENT it to being with by being CARING to check her written order with the drink since that's all she had to get(someone else got the other drink orders(2 soft drinks when we got seated) apparently they got the host to help out before our server was able to get to us(maybe she was with another customer at the time). So she couldn't even get ONE drink order to the table OBVIOUSLY correctly. It was her fault 100% she brought the glass without the salt on the rim, NOT the bartender. She's not blind or illiterate.

A nice person would have said they were sorry.

That's just one example of servers that aren't nice these days.

Another time years ago, my husband's baked potato our waitress forgot to bring out when she brought out our food(she had already brought out my condiments ahead of time). My husband nicely told her. She looks at the ticket on the tray and leaves. My jaw almost dropped like "No sorry" I thought in my head, NOTHING. She didn't even say she was sorry when she brought it. I don't know if she did 2 mistakes like didn't put in the order for it to begin with(this was an additional side dish added to the item my husband ordered) or she just forgot to bring it from the kitchen). Even after she brought it out, she STILL didn't say she was sorry. That's just SOOO MEAN. My husband still said "thank you" though.

Look how mean servers are. They are mean. I can't imagine not saying I am sorry. I worked at a donut shop in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth altogether and I apologized to people in DRIVE-THRU that didn't even tip me when I messed up. That's how NICE I am .

When I forget to ask my server for something I apologize, why can't they do the same in most cases?

We have had servers blame the kitchen for obvious errors, etc.

We rarely have the good service you seem to say you have. Although I may have higher standards of what good service is to me than you accept. I want my server to say they are sorry when they mess up. I want them to be caring enough to LOOK at what they are bringing me BEFORE they bring it to me for anything obvious that is wrong to "CARE" about wasting my time bringing me something obviously wrong. That's how service should be.
Platinum member
Default So tense.

Wow this thread has gotten so intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
What condiments are you putting in a box? I don't think I have ever taken a condiment home.
All kind of condiments, mayo, mustard, ranch, honey mustard, tartar sauce, bbq sauce, etc.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I don't think I have ever taken a condiment home.
Why not, most of the time they are FREE? I mean we have taken home bread, chips n' salsa that were free etc., even OFFERED bread to take home at places like Outback. It's free food, WHY NOT? I use the leftover condiments to eat the rest of my food that I take home and if I have any leftover I use it for other foods like salads or something to dip in.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.