Are you tipping enough?

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I agree with you that a lot of the servers around here need to be replaced. Too many times the problem is not the food but the servers fault. There are some great servers here that are polite and make sure everything is great. But there are those that just do not care. Those servers deserve minimal at best tips. Managers are also at fault for hiring these people and not checking with the patrons on how the food and service was.
My wife and I owned a café for several years and we would not tolerate an employee not providing good service.
A note to the managers...DO YOUR JOB!!
Old 07-19-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherbruddaDarrell View Post
But there are those that just do not care.
I am getting a lot of those at times. I am finding more and more don't care. For example, had this happen a few times at different restaurants with different servers where I tell them I'd like my bacon crispy, had the server say "Oh it's crispy", so I get the bacon, it's not crispy. It's laziness, like some are SO LAZY they don't even want to put in the computer "crispy", because it's an extra step and HOPE I don't send it back, but I send it back in most cases, so they have double the work. It's like they HOPE to do the LEAST for their money. I had one waitress that said they filled the mayos all the way(usually in most restaurants they don't, but since this was my first time at this restaurant I believed her). Another server runs the food, out of the 3 sides of mayo I asked for, I had not even one container worth for real, like each container had a dab of mayo in it. I was so ****ed. I wasn't mad at the kitchen staff or the person that ran the food, I was ****ed at my server for LYING to me to get out of putting it into the computer. She knew she was lying. If she cared honestly, she would have asked if it was ok to bring the mayos out ahead of time and made sure WELL BEFORE the food came out I had my mayos FILLED. Servers are LYING to get out of doing work, it's just pitiful. It's ridiculous how LAZY the world of servers are getting. It's like they want the tip(at least 20%), but don't want to *WORK* for it. It's like they just don't want to do WORK. They want the 20% to stand there and look pretty. Maybe they are in the wrong career, they should take up modeling instead if they don't want to do anything for their money. The person that ran the food should have not brought it out that way in the first place since honestly the customer should have had more than that, I wouldn't have served that, but since that waitress that ran the food didn't know my personal order since our waitress was too lazy to put it in correctly, I have to put fault entirely on our waitress since she could have brought the mayos out ahead of time regardless of who brought me my food and she didn't put in the order right by telling me they fill them. If they filled them, I would have had them at least half-way filled, none of the containers were even half-way filled even. It's like for sure she just wrote me off because I asked for too much. They are just TOO LAZY to want to serve. I tip 25%-30% and more to good servers for the extra work, but they don't know that if it's my first time at the restaurant, do they? The thing is, they should act like they could get that if they tried their best, but they are too lazy to do so. They don't want to do all of that work. They just write me off and that hurts my feelings. It's like WHY are you HERE as a server if you don't want to *WORK* for your money? Why not go work at a Walmart as a cashier if you don't want to work hard as you can for your customers?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
It's not the management's responsibility to go in order of TURNS. That means if you were seated first, you should have gotten your utensils or whatever you asked for first that the server can control getting to you first.

I just went to a restaurant that we had just gotten some drinks and an appetizer. It wasn't busy, slow Thursday afternoon(I had some vacation days to take before they went away). I ordered one of the margaritas on the menu with salt on the rocks. Our waitress brings it clearly without salt. So I tell her nicely. She doesn't say she's sorry. First off, any "CARING" human being would have compared her written order to the glass and told the bartender to fix the issue, NOT brought it to me wrong. Let's say she just missed it, a decent human being would have said they were sorry.

Do you see where I am coming from and that's just one issue that was minor, but she could have been NICE about it not only to have PREVENT it to being with by being CARING to check her written order with the drink since that's all she had to get(someone else got the other drink orders(2 soft drinks when we got seated) apparently they got the host to help out before our server was able to get to us(maybe she was with another customer at the time). So she couldn't even get ONE drink order to the table OBVIOUSLY correctly. It was her fault 100% she brought the glass without the salt on the rim, NOT the bartender. She's not blind or illiterate.

A nice person would have said they were sorry.

That's just one example of servers that aren't nice these days.

Another time years ago, my husband's baked potato our waitress forgot to bring out when she brought out our food(she had already brought out my condiments ahead of time). My husband nicely told her. She looks at the ticket on the tray and leaves. My jaw almost dropped like "No sorry" I thought in my head, NOTHING. She didn't even say she was sorry when she brought it. I don't know if she did 2 mistakes like didn't put in the order for it to begin with(this was an additional side dish added to the item my husband ordered) or she just forgot to bring it from the kitchen). Even after she brought it out, she STILL didn't say she was sorry. That's just SOOO MEAN. My husband still said "thank you" though.

Look how mean servers are. They are mean. I can't imagine not saying I am sorry. I worked at a donut shop in 1998-2002 off and on a little over 2yrs worth altogether and I apologized to people in DRIVE-THRU that didn't even tip me when I messed up. That's how NICE I am .

When I forget to ask my server for something I apologize, why can't they do the same in most cases?

We have had servers blame the kitchen for obvious errors, etc.

We rarely have the good service you seem to say you have. Although I may have higher standards of what good service is to me than you accept. I want my server to say they are sorry when they mess up. I want them to be caring enough to LOOK at what they are bringing me BEFORE they bring it to me for anything obvious that is wrong to "CARE" about wasting my time bringing me something obviously wrong. That's how service should be.
Well. I never stated I've had 100 percent perfect service and sorry You've had bad experiences. Since you seem to know every thing about me and my levels of expected service have a good day and happy meals.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Well. I never stated I've had 100 percent perfect service and sorry You've had bad experiences. Since you seem to know every thing about me and my levels of expected service have a good day and happy meals.
No I don't know your levels of expected service, but you seem to not have high levels the way you write. I, on the other hand, expect a hard, caring worker. Why go into the restaurant things will go wrong? Why go then if you think it will be bad? I try to hope for good service, but it doesn't always turn out that way. In fact, it's rare to have really good service. I may have acceptable service, but really good service seems to be rare these days.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
Wow this thread has gotten so intense.
I'm not sure intense is accurate enough, but someone sure has a burr under his saddle. If he/she speaks to wait staff the way he speaks to other posters, it is fairly easy to understand the reaction he elicits from them.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I'm not sure intense is accurate enough, but someone sure has a burr under his saddle. If he/she speaks to wait staff the way he speaks to other posters, it is fairly easy to understand the reaction he elicits from them.
I don't speak to them like that. It's frustrating when you keep having servers be mean and uncaring when they serve you is all.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
I am getting a lot of those at times. I am finding more and more don't care. For example, had this happen a few times at different restaurants with different servers where I tell them I'd like my bacon crispy, had the server say "Oh it's crispy", so I get the bacon, it's not crispy. It's laziness, like some are SO LAZY they don't even want to put in the computer "crispy", because it's an extra step and HOPE I don't send it back, but I send it back in most cases, so they have double the work. It's like they HOPE to do the LEAST for their money. I had one waitress that said they filled the mayos all the way(usually in most restaurants they don't, but since this was my first time at this restaurant I believed her). Another server runs the food, out of the 3 sides of mayo I asked for, I had not even one container worth for real, like each container had a dab of mayo in it. I was so ****ed. I wasn't mad at the kitchen staff or the person that ran the food, I was ****ed at my server for LYING to me to get out of putting it into the computer. She knew she was lying. If she cared honestly, she would have asked if it was ok to bring the mayos out ahead of time and made sure WELL BEFORE the food came out I had my mayos FILLED. Servers are LYING to get out of doing work, it's just pitiful. It's ridiculous how LAZY the world of servers are getting. It's like they want the tip(at least 20%), but don't want to *WORK* for it. It's like they just don't want to do WORK. They want the 20% to stand there and look pretty. Maybe they are in the wrong career, they should take up modeling instead if they don't want to do anything for their money. The person that ran the food should have not brought it out that way in the first place since honestly the customer should have had more than that, I wouldn't have served that, but since that waitress that ran the food didn't know my personal order since our waitress was too lazy to put it in correctly, I have to put fault entirely on our waitress since she could have brought the mayos out ahead of time regardless of who brought me my food and she didn't put in the order right by telling me they fill them. If they filled them, I would have had them at least half-way filled, none of the containers were even half-way filled even. It's like for sure she just wrote me off because I asked for too much. They are just TOO LAZY to want to serve. I tip 25%-30% and more to good servers for the extra work, but they don't know that if it's my first time at the restaurant, do they? The thing is, they should act like they could get that if they tried their best, but they are too lazy to do so. They don't want to do all of that work. They just write me off and that hurts my feelings. It's like WHY are you HERE as a server if you don't want to *WORK* for your money? Why not go work at a Walmart as a cashier if you don't want to work hard as you can for your customers?
I just read all your posts. I think you're spoofing us.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
I don't speak to them like that. It's frustrating when you keep having servers be mean and uncaring when they serve you is all.
It does bother me that you are frustrated and feel put upon. I wonder though if wait staff are picking up some mannerism that signals your frustration. And you may not even realize it. In all seriousness, and I say this with every good intention, please go back and read your posts. I can see frustration in them, and even anger. I realize that we are not speaking face to face so I may be misinterpreting your intent. But that is what comes through to me, honestly.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Well I have my suspicion as well, but I'll give her the benefit of doubt for awhile
Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
It does bother me that you are frustrated and feel put upon. I wonder though if wait staff are picking up some mannerism that signals your frustration. And you may not even realize it. In all seriousness, and I say this with every good intention, please go back and read your posts. I can see frustration in them, and even anger. I realize that we are not speaking face to face so I may be misinterpreting your intent. But that is what comes through to me, honestly.
I second these thoughts.

I also think the spoofing theory (aka trolling) is a possibility.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I just did as well.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I second these thoughts.

I also think the spoofing theory (aka trolling) is a possibility.
I am not trolling. This is all REAL!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have been given more change, on numerous occasions, because if was more convenient to do so. For example, I am owed $4.81 and I am given a $5.00 bill. Everyone knows what is going on, it is a matter of convenience for a negligible amount of money. I don't sweat the small stuff in life and most of time it is small stuff.

Quote:
That's the point, that he *PRE-COLLECTED* **********SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY*****************!! You can't do that LEGALLY! He wasn't tipping, *WE* were though.

I am not worried about 31 cents that he could have had it, but the fact that he ***********STOLE*************** it is my issue. I don't care if it was only a penny, theft is theft. He should have been arrested and fired for stealing. I can't grab even a penny out of a register at a store without being thrown out at the very least, isn't that correct? If you agree with me, then WHY you can't see it's THEFT?

It's not about the "amount" of money, it's about *WHAT* he chose to do.

He would have had the 31 cents most likely, but for him to take it without asking first, that's a no-no. That's theft. Stealing is stealing. I can't go into someone's purse and grab a nickle, can I? Well, I am waiting..... If one person can't steal, why can the other just because the person makes tips?

It's not about the "cents" that I wanted back, it was about that he STOLE it WITHOUT our consent.

Do you understand I didn't care about the cents? Do you understand that he TOOK something that wasn't his? THAT is why he got stiffed. He STOLE. When you steal, you should go to jail just like EVERYONE ELSE that steals.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I have been given more change, on numerous occasions, because if was more convenient to do so. For example, I am owed $4.81 and I am given a $5.00 bill. Everyone knows what is going on, it is a matter of convenience for a negligible amount of money. I don't sweat the small stuff in life and most of time it is small stuff.
But what you are saying is *OVER* the amount. I WAS *********************SHORTED*****************************************! You are talking about 100% TOTAL OPPOSITE*********** of my complaint. Did you even READ what I talked about, huh?

Over, then that's the server shorting themselves, because whatever they owe the restaurant at the end of the shift is whatever it is, so if they give over, they are shorting themselves as servers, not the restaurant if they give OVER the amount.

What I am talking about is STEALING from the customer which is not giving over the amount of change, is it? It's not small stuff when you are talking about theft.

I would like you to go to a store and when the cashier opens her draw try to take a dime or a nickle. See if you don't get thrown out or even arrested. WATCH, YOU WILL SEE how it's THEFT NO MATTER *WHAT* the amount is.

I would like you to in front of a police officer in a fast food line grab someone's change from their hand. Let's see if you don't get arrested.

Overage, that's the server's money, so if they want to be lazy and generous, that's them, but that's not what my complaint is. Did you even *READ* my post. My change owed was $5.31, our waiter shorted the change by 31 cents. He STOLE on PURPOSE since it was NO MISTAKE. It's not like he's going to miss 3 coins and it really be a "REAL HONEST" that he just MISSED things. Also, as I have stated on my original post, I can count on ONE hand how many times I have had exact amounts with no cents on our check. It RARELY happens that you have exactly $34.00 on the check, usually there's some cents in there. Our check was $34.69. We were owed our change.

WHY do you feel because the server makes tips they have rights to *********TIP THEMSELVES YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY by STEALING?

It's NO "SMALL" stuff when you steal. It's the *PRINCIPLE* of it, NOT the amount. Do you even get it? If he had stolen a penny, I would have still stiffed him for stealing. WHY? Its' STEALING TIPPING HIMSELF.

WHY because you are at a grocery store or Walmart or wherever you get your change without having to ask for it, but because someone makes tips, for some unknown reason that you should have to ask for that doesn't make ANY LOGICAL SENSE, because someone's change is just that, NO MATTER if it's a tipped position the worker is working or not, doesn't play into getting someone's change. The server's job is not to "TIP THEMSELVES" with YOUR MONEY.

Shorting is THEFT, NO MATTER if it's only a penny. Stealing is not "SMALL STUFF", no matter what you say about it, it's not.

If I take from a child out of their hands a piece of candy you put a quarter in the machine for them to get, how can you say that's not theft? Hey, it's small stuff to you, so should you care? Maybe you wouldn't, but I care if someone steals. I grew up with MORALS, obviously you didn't and don't understand that I NEVER ONCE was talking about the server giving OVER the amount. My issue was that the SHORTED us OUR MONEY, that's right, ********OUR MONEY*************!

Also, you said it was more convenient, because it's them being too lazy to do their job. If they are doing it in hopes to get a bigger tip by being generous, then that's fine, but honestly it's probably more about laziness.

The thing is, I am not talking about giving more change, I am talking about they gave me LESS change than what I was owed. He STOLE our 31 cents and I had to ask to get it back. NO customer should have to ask for their change PERIOD, don't matter if it's a penny even, it's not their change to take. The server isn't supposed to tip themselves with someone else's money. The tip is the CUSTOMER'S DECISION ONLY!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage

Springs - go back and read all your posts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.