Your recent feelings about Havana Country Club Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM

The one thing that wasn't mentioned here is Havana's donations and willingness to participate in one form or another in charitable causes and fund raisers such as pancake breakfasts, etc. Just this past Saturday afternoon after the poker run for the Relay for Life team, Friends for a Cure, Havana supplied the participants with pizzas and chicken wings, ALL ON THE HOUSE.

The food may be "catch as catch can" and I know this from much personal experience. But one cannot deny that they are out front when it comes to charitable causes and this accounts for some of Havana's popularity in spite of itself. That coupled with the density of diners during peak season allows them to survive all the negative press.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeball View Post
The one thing that wasn't mentioned here is Havana's donations and willingness to participate in one form or another in charitable causes and fund raisers such as pancake breakfasts, etc. Just this past Saturday afternoon after the poker run for the Relay for Life team, Friends for a Cure, Havana supplied the participants with pizzas and chicken wings, ALL ON THE HOUSE.

The food may be "catch as catch can" and I know this from much personal experience. But one cannot deny that they are out front when it comes to charitable causes and this accounts for some of Havana's popularity in spite of itself. That coupled with the density of diners during peak season allows them to survive all the negative press.
That is very good to know and to remember.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is very good to know and to remember.
I've had more good experiences at Havana than bad. They make good sandwiches and the stromboli is good and happy hour is to 6:30.

I will be eating dinner there with my buddies this very evening with no hesitation.

Every once in a while you may get a server who is not as attentive as you might like, but they're mostly all good people there.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Default Havana

I agree, the location is splendid and the decor beautiful. I too have given Havana at least 4 tries. The latest was dinner Nov. 2011. The wait staff seemed confused, never attending to our table. The food was very average quality, a couple of burgers and a Philly sandwich. We passed an old salad cart from presumably lunch with old tuna salad, old veggies, old crusted egg salad and everything else was room temperature. Not even taken back to the kitchen, covered, placed in cooler or else thrown out. It made me think if they were going to serve the stuff again the next day. I don't know who owns/runs the restaurant part of the country club restaurants, does anyone know.....
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Default Why Has This Been Allowed for so Long?

It amazes me that the poor, inconsistant food quality and service has gone on for so many years. I thought The Villages would have straightened these problems out considering their investment in the property. I do not know of anyone who even considers it as a place to dine; such a waste of an attractive building.

Could someone call Chef Ramsey or Chef Robert Irvine to observe and save this failing restaurant?

Charlie
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM

We have been there three times and it is the only club restaurant we will not take guests/friends. All three times the food has been poor and the service worse. I truly do not understand how they stay in business. There are simply too many other great restaurants and country clubs here to waste my time and money at Havana again.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie49 View Post
It amazes me that the poor, inconsistant food quality and service has gone on for so many years. I thought The Villages would have straightened these problems out considering their investment in the property. I do not know of anyone who even considers it as a place to dine; such a waste of an attractive building.

Could someone call Chef Ramsey or Chef Robert Irvine to observe and save this failing restaurant?

Charlie
I think the only function that the developers have with Havana is Landlord.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Default havana

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeball View Post

SO are they the only one of nine (?) champion course restaurants to do something for charity? Me thinks the others may too. Only time we go to havana is if we first went to beef o gradys and it was packed.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The inside of that restaurant is so beautiful and the views in back are wonderful but in the three or more years that it has been here I have heard various reports on the food and service and I have had varied experiences there myself.

The last two were...

About two weeks ago I took new visitors to The Villages there for lunch and I ordered a tuna melt that wasn't hot. The server took it back for a microwave zap and returned seconds later and it was still lukewarm. I am uncomfortable now because I just don't complain much about food, but I said "please just leave this in the microwave for a little longer". This time a cook came out and put it in front of me and said "Here! You ain't supposed to warm up stuff with mayonnaise it it.". It was warmer and I ate it. None of us got our drinks refilled but our server had a LOT of tables to care for.

Friday night we went with a BIG group of people from our new village for Friday night dinner. Our fish was absolutely delicious and we had our drinks filled up and everything was just perfect. I enjoyed sitting in the main room and looking at the beautiful upholstery and lovely dark mahogony on the ceilings and the very pretty decor and we really, really, enjoyed the entertainment.

How has the food and service been there for you lately?
We have spent the last 2 new year's eves there with excellent food and great service. Also stop in periodically after ladies' golf, for lunch. food is good and service also.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 PM

Went twice and both bad experiences. Won't return, too many other much better places.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.