Does Made in the USA matter?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
And take note...with all the international activity in recent weeks, we will pay much much more for anything.
I read that there may soon be shortages of diet soda because some of the ingredients (primarily sucralose) come from overseas. I agree that we'll be seeing permanent price increases across many industries.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,051 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
Orangeblossombaby, do you know where all the ingredients for their soaps come from?
Yes, I do. Some are essential oils, imported from other countries (such as bulgarian rose, and sandalwood). Some are grown and distilled right here in the USA. The lye comes from the USA. The goat's milk comes from goats on a farm I believe in Bethany, Connecticut or in close proximity to Bethany, possibly Cheshire. Pretty sure her supplier gets their alkanet from India, though possibly somewhere in the Mediterranean - since that's where it grows naturally.

Her shea butter comes from Africa - since that is where shea trees grow and the fat from the nut is harvested and processed.

She doesn't use palm oil anymore because of deforestation. Her apricot kernel oil is American, as are most of the other vegetable oils she uses - because most of them come from plants that are either native to the USA, or grow in plenty in the USA and are less expensive than importing them.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,630 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I buy the best I can afford, for whatever it is I need. I don't care where it's made. As long as it is the best I can afford for the category. If it's masks that are intended to be disposable, I'll buy whichever one will hold up to a couple of handwashings - and pay the cheapest price possible for a package of them.

If it's a car, I have criteria (didn't used to, but learned my lesson). It needs an arm rest. I will never again buy a car that isn't manufactured with a built-in arm rest. It needs decent mileage. It needs a reasonably good safety record. It needs to have a back seat; no coupes for me. It also needs to have a protective layer coating the paint job. It needs to have fairly inexpensive maintenance and replacement parts costs.

The most affordable with all that criteria? A Kia. Manufacured by the Hyundai Corporation, based in South Korea.

For clothing, I think most of mine is made in Taiwan. I'd rather have it made here in the USA but I'd have to pay triple for a lousy t-shirt and that seems pointless. There are better things to spend my money on. Like my soaps. I buy my soaps directly from the soapmaker in Connecticut, I have my sister ship them to me. The soapmaker retired the specific soap I like, and made a batch of them just for me a month ago. So now I have half a dozen bars.

So my soaps are not merely "made in the USA" they are HAND-made in the USA, by a small-batch artisan who, thanks to a loyal fanbase among the craft and agricultural festival/fair circuit in Connecticut, has just recently opened up her own brick and mortar store.

I can afford $7 for a bar of soap. I can't afford $30,000 for a car made in the USA, and I refuse to buy a $5 tee shirt and pay $23 for it.

Buying something just because the label says; "made in the USA" is something that I look for...but it's not the only deciding factor.

we purchase based on quality, price and availability.

I already know that my next car will be the Kia K900...
we bought our living room rug and the one in our lanai when we were in Turkey
when my father-in-law retired he sold his Toyota dealer ship...the family has made a lot of money thanks to Japan
we have wine shipped to us from Italy 4 times a year

that said, I hope more manufacturing is brought back to the USA as we do want to support 'made in the USA'
Old 08-01-2020, 06:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,970 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
Buying something just because the label says; "made in the USA" is something that I look for...but it's not the only deciding factor.

we purchase based on quality, price and availability.

I already know that my next car will be the Kia K900...
we bought our living room rug and the one in our lanai when we were in Turkey
when my father-in-law retired he sold his Toyota dealer ship...the family has made a lot of money thanks to Japan
we have wine shipped to us from Italy 4 times a year

that said, I hope more manufacturing is brought back to the USA as we do want to support 'made in the USA'
Toyota does assemble a great car. Take care of it change the oil frequently and it will last for a long time.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:48 PM

How does the saying goes, "Made in the USA assemble in Mexico".
Closed Thread

Tags
made, usa, request, put, curious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.