Kohls cash...I didn't know this

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Sage
Default Kohls cash...I didn't know this

First let me say I love Kohls but I learned something that I thought would be helpful to others who shop there. While doing some Christmas shopping, I used my Kohls cash to pay for my items. It was clothing for my son-in-law. When I went to give the kohls cash to the checkout lady I asked if these items could be returned if they didn't fit. She said yes but I would only get 3cents back if I needed to return it for cash. I questioned her and she said because I used the Kohls cash, which is like free money, it is only worth cents on the dollar when brought back. (It says how many cents each item was worth on my receipt) which was 2 cents for one item and 1 cent for the other. I think I paid like $3 in cash for the items. If someone wants to exchange the item they can with no penalty but the cash back would not be worth it. So, don't buy a gift if you are not completely sure the person will like it when using your Kohls cash. I wish I could explain it better but I can't.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Think you explained it very well. But to reiterate what you said -- don't buy with Kohl's cash if you think the recipient will want cash back rather than another item from Kohl's.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

It is difficult enough to get all the holiday shopping done to ones satisfaction. There is no way I would give a nano seconds thinking to whether a person MIGHT want to turn the gift in for cash....that is me and how I do it....not promoting how to or whether to or not....posting how I do it.

btk
Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Thank you, very informative. I did not know this about Kohls cash. Happy shopping everyone!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

This (or something like it) is true at Bealls too if you buy on senior day or you use a coupon. I returned a couple of items with receipts and didn't get back all that I paid for them. I'm more careful now!
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 11-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

I do get why Kohls has that policy - it makes sense. If you get something for $10 using a $10 Kohls cash, the item is free. They give you back the difference usually. At least that's what they've done for me.

I never had a problem at Bealls. If an item was $10 and I had a 10% off coupon, it cost me $9. When I returned it, I got back $9 - what I had paid for it.

I'm truly amazed to hear of both of these situations. These situations almost don't seem legal.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I do get why Kohls has that policy - it makes sense. If you get something for $10 using a $10 Kohls cash, the item is free. They give you back the difference usually. At least that's what they've done for me.

I never had a problem at Bealls. If an item was $10 and I had a 10% off coupon, it cost me $9. When I returned it, I got back $9 - what I had paid for it.

I'm truly amazed to hear of both of these situations. These situations almost don't seem legal.
Diane, I believe some are mixing the premise "Kohl's Dollars" vs actual US currency dollars. Kohl's Dollars are, in essence, a store credit and not cash that one is being rewarded with after making qualifying purchases. Therefore, if an item that was purchased with Kohl's Dollars is returned, the returnee is entitled to another use of that store credit. Stores are not about to compensate people with cash at this point, it would seriously dilute their profits and those are slim enough these days.

I love having a 30% off Kohl's coupon and then using my "Kohl's Dollars". I've made some nice purchases with great savings.

Another thought for Happinow; if we have no immediate use for those Kohl's Dollars, we send them on to our children so they can enjoy the savings for themselves or their children. That is a win-win for us!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum member

I've used kohl's cash and coupons to buy a bigger item as well. Love it.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Think you explained it very well. But to reiterate what you said -- don't buy with Kohl's cash if you think the recipient will want cash back rather than another item from Kohl's.
You got it red witch.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.