Prime Angus Steaks ($6.99/lb) & Bnls Pork Chops ($2.99/lb)

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdatc View Post
I agree. After the sous vide I sear mine on a 750 degree pellet grill with grillgrates. Super tender and delicious every time.
I enjoy steaks about medium with a nice crust. My broiler only goes to 500 F. My air fryer has broiling attachment at 450F

So I would also have to buy a a pellet grill but after grilling for a couple of minutes each side the temp of the steak would go up quite a bit I would think.

Am I missing something?
Old 12-03-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I enjoy steaks about medium with a nice crust. My broiler only goes to 500 F. My air fryer has broiling attachment at 450F

So I would also have to buy a a pellet grill but after grilling for a couple of minutes each side the temp of the steak would go up quite a bit I would think.

Am I missing something?

When you cook it sous vide you are cooking to the internal temp you want your steak at and are only throwing it on for the sear. You could use a cast iron griddle or pan and get it screaming hot on the broiler/your grill before tossing the steak on and then flipping...but if you have a seer box or pellet grill that gets those higher heats, it is just easier to do that way.

We like med rare, and can grill it that way, but with sous vide cooking, you get it med rare thru the entire steak. While it rests, throw on a little blue cheese crumbles to let melt before you serve...heavenly! Sous Vide Medium-Rare Steak
Old 12-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

Am I missing something?
I use a culinary blow torch, (brûlée 3 times a week) a regular small blowtorch will work, for very little money. What’s nice about a blowtorch is it’s fast gives great char in 10 seconds, no grill needed, or turning on your broiler
Old 12-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Made the T Bone for dinner

I do not have an oven that broils at a high enough temp but made the best of it by heating up the pan before putting in the steak.

Was reasonably tender but will admit a steakhouse will do a better job.

Also bought a porterhouse that is happily resting in our freezer and will give that a try down the road.

Might buy an actual prime steak down the road and see how that works
Old 12-05-2021, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Many recipes will tell you to put the sous vide bag in an ice bath after cooking for 10-15 minutes, then sear on the grill, torch, or extra hot cast iron fry pan. The cooling process stops the center from over cooking. You can even place the bag in the refrigerator and finish it the next day. If you leave it in the fridge, well salted and uncovered for a few hours before searing, the outside will dry out and give you a better sear
Old 12-06-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Who's been there??

Thoughts/feedback/reviews???

We tried it twice and the meat was NOT good. We are still looking for a good butcher/meat shop.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I took advantage of their 5/$20 or 4/$20 or whatever it is/was, last year. I didn't even think to look at the fat, I saw ground chuck and just assumed it was 80%, or close to it. Turns out it was very fatty - more like 75%. And each package was just slightly under a pound so I paid a premium price for meat that lost around 20% of its content in the cooking.

That said, they made really awesome meatballs. I don't use a "meat mix" of veal pork and beef, I use only beef. They came out light and flavorful. I'd probably use this meat for hamburgers as well. I made a meatloaf with one package and it fell apart - just too fatty to hold together. Tasty - but messy.

I think I'd go back again and pick up some ground round some time, but not til the prices go down.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

The meat is supposed to be all grass fed, free range meat. If you want bland, then pay double at a chain grocery store. Your choice. I go there for the price in today's inflation. I can prepare and serve venison in a manner that you will almost forget about a beef steak, so preparing a piece of beef, regardless of condition is an easy task. No matter where I get my steak, I salt it ahead of time to make it "more" tender. I also bring it to room temp before cooking. Most of the time I cook it in a cast iron pan, so that I can get a really good sear on it. Unlike those on here that can afford Wagyu beef, I am on a limited income and still like a ribeye when inflation is not robbing me of my ability. When it comes to hamburger for patties, I prefer a fatty mix so that I get the great taste of some of the decent burger joints. I like a good smash burger.
I get my steaks now, at Best Meats because no one can beat their specials for $6.99Lb. I shopped at Walmart yesterday and their ribeyes were $12.99Lb. I remember when Publix advertised ribeye for $9.99Lb just a little over a year ago. Last time I checked, it was almost double that.
It does not bother me when some on here talk down Best Meats because I don't like a crowd picking over a product when I shop. I just wish they would get some Bison in. The last two times I was there, they did not have any. If you want a real treat, try some Bison. A bit expensive, but it's good.
Closed Thread

Tags
prime, $2.99/lb, angus, sale, chops

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.