Publix ads on TalkoftheVillages! Fantastic!

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 05:53 AM
Smile Publix ads on TalkoftheVillages! Fantastic!

I love seeing Publix ads now on this site! I just registered to get home delivery, so when I don't feel like leaving my home, Publix will shop for me, and deliver to me! This is so easy, and inexpensive! Thank you Publix!!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:26 AM
Gold member

We've been using Instacart since all this madness began, also good to know that your Instacart membership allows you to order goods from lots of different places (like Sam's Club and ABC) and then delivers right to your door. No need to bother with any of the anti maskers or those who refuse to social distance.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We do this for kind of shopping ourselves and several neighbors. The way it has been working out is the bulk orders are picked up from Sams, the fill-in items are then attempted to be selected from Walmart. We have much better luck with the Neighborhood Walmart Neighborhood Market as the 441 Walmart is spotty with filling the orders at best and then onto the Bichara Publix where using Instacart is a breeze. They really have their act together. Worth every penny.

I prefer to do the entire order by Instacart thru Publix.

Last edited by Nucky; 08-03-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: speallink again
Old 08-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

we haven't tried this yet

those of you that have bought groceries this way....how much are you tipping the person that delivers to your home?
Old 08-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post

those of you that have bought groceries this way....how much are you tipping the person that delivers to your home?
20% to 30%.

I have a friend who lives in an elite suburb north of Chicago who saved a couple million, then retired in her late forties. She lives with her sister who owns a fancy lake-front property. This year she took a job gathering and delivering groceries from Whole Foods for Insta-Cart. Expensive store with well-off clients who buy a lot things I would never buy (and I never shop at Whole Paycheck). She also brings their fine wine orders. She is making about $1,500 to $2,000 a week from charges and tips! Someone bringing you $200 in groceries would not be earning nearly so much, of course.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Good for you but we like to see the fruit and veggies we purchase. And right now a lot of what we are buying now is impulse as we try lots of new things.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:

Instacart has several add on charges. One for the main company, another one that goes to the shopper for the time shopping and then a tip. You may adjust the tip as I always do and go for the smallest one through the company and then just take care of the person who delivers the order with Cash. This description is basically correct. I just shredded all my receipts so it's from my memory. Ut-oh!

So far they are very nice people who try to substitute items as they shop. They text you and you go thru the order with them if they have a problem. We normally have a husband and wife team who are very efficient and polite.

These are the kind of people IMHO who deserve the Stimulus $$ Money $$ that we received.

The Quality of the things they select is TOP DRAWER. Try it once. I think the first delivery charge is waved.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Shoppers for Instacart can really vary. I mostly had the same wonderful experience as described above, great selection, substitution were negotiated, my shopper kept in touch with me - even sent photos if something was in question. Then I had another lady, she drove up to my place in her a Mercedes, unpacked the bags and not only were there substitutions I did not want but not all the items I paid for were there. I don’t think she is working for them any more though.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:59 PM

I noticed on Publix ads they have "curbside pickup", like Walmart. But, it appears the Villages locations all have only Insta-cart, so I have been using Walmart, a place I didn't use very often previously unless I was there for some other reason and picked up a grocery item. However, since I started using their free shopping and curbside pickup I am AMAZED at the service, the friendly efficient people working at the grocery PU, and most of all the outstanding produce and meat items I have received. I fully expected to try this ONE time and get rotting tomatoes and black bananas they could not not get rid of otherwise. I was SO WRONG. Everything, especially the produce is exactly what I would pick out for myself, even the berries ! Now this many months later, when shopping "regulations" have eased just a little, I am so spoiled by compiling my order by going to my laptop daily and adding items until the time and day I specified I want to pick them up, that I don't think I'll ever go back to my old habit of stopping in the grocery nearly everyday on my way back from the golf course or one of the pools ! Changed my life completely, but sure wish this had existed when I was working and raising a family.... LOL ! One sad note, since Walmart charges NOTHING for the P U service, and their prices are really low (something I did not realize since I did most of my grocery shopping elsewhere) on the brands I know and use, that I would give those who bring out and load them for you a generous tip. Then, a month or so ago the employee who brought my groceries out explained they were no longer able to accept tips and were REQUIRED to turn them in so Walmart could donate them to a charity Walmart chooses to support (and I imagine also get a tax deduction for donating what was meant for tips to the workers...and do they ever WORK, it is hot and hard work from what I have observed). This really made me sad Walmart would do that, but, as far as the free shopping and pickup, I am blown away at the quality and efficiency.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:21 AM

Walmart has grocery delivery as well. 12.95 per month or 99.00 a year unlimited delivery. Some items 2 hour service. The pick up service is great too but getting so poplar it is hard to get same day service. Benn using it all the time since this madness started.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 AM

Publix raises the price on items purchased thru Instacart. Sometimes 20% higher than in store. Then tacks on a “service fee” to the total.

Walmart charges same price as instore for pickup or delivery. Plus Walmart delivery fee is less expensive.

Hands down - Walmart is the best deal by far.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage

Just started taking advantage of Walmart grocery pickup service for staple items, not produce. I used to complain about the Leesburg store converting my favorite parking spots to "Pickup," which it seemed hardly anyone used pre-Pandemic.
Now I'm a believer. I didn't realize it was so easy. Although we live close to the neighborhood WMT I shop on line at the 466 store for greater selection, then go in person to the little Walmart or Publix for produce. It's fun to shop the grocery catalog on line and build a shopping list over time. So easy to pull in the Pickup Zone and receive the "We're glad you are here" text. Much better than going in the store and dodging other's carts trying to find stuff.

As for tipping, as of last Saturday, it was still being done.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 AM
theruizs

Quote:

We tip pretty well. They are paid by Instacart, but they drive their own cars. They are providing a personal service that actually requires more effort and thought than delivering a pizza or a meal. We have been very happy with this service.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
We tip pretty well. They are paid by Instacart, but they drive their own cars. They are providing a personal service that actually requires more effort and thought than delivering a pizza or a meal. We have been very happy with this service.
Forgot to mention that we tip in cash in an envelope at the door when we see them pull in. We leave the online tip at the minimum. The tax man gets enough as it is.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage

The first time my DIL used Instacart in another state, the delivery guy backed into one of her garage doors. Safe to say he didn't get a tip.
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, ads, home, inexpensive, easy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.