Wartime sacrifice

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Default Wartime sacrifice

During World War II, Americans were asked to make many sacrifices. They were asked to limit their consumption of meat and processed foods because the soldiers abroad needed them. Sugar rations were half of what people normally consumed. Gasoline was limited to three gallons per week. People were asked to wear warmer clothes so that less fuel was needed to heat their homes and offices. People were asked to take shorter showers. People were even asked to contribute their rubber hoses so they could be converted into tires. These were REAL sacrifices and, thankfully, most Americans did their patriotic duty to help in the war effort. And, although such sacrifices were hard on civilians, they were NOTHING compared to what many men and women sacrificed when the put their very lives on the line to fight the enemy. I doubt that a large percentage of the populace complained that their rights were being taken away. People were true patriots then and they showed it by making sacrifices to help with the war effort instead of merely wrapping themselves in the flag and proclaiming their “rights.”

We are at war again. But this time the enemy is invisible. The enemy doesn’t honor front lines, but sneaks past those who risk their lives every day to fight this war. If the enemy touches you, you become an unwitting assistant in its battle against us. This increases the risk to our friends, families, and our front-line “soldiers,” the people who work in our hospitals and clinics. But, we know how to win this war. It really is quite easy. If we all made the tiniest sacrifice of wearing a mask, we could beat this enemy in no time. Such sacrifices are NOTHING compared to what our parents made to win WW2. So, we now call them “The Greatest Generation.” Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it? Do you think we rate such a moniker? I don’t think so. Because of our defiance in helping with the war effort, we will probably be known in the future as something more like “The Selfish Generation.” Many of us refused to wear a mask because it was our “right” to go uncovered. Really? Oh, the humanity! We greedily hoarded toilet paper, sanitizer, and the PPE that robbed our front-line soldiers of the battle gear they needed to fight the war. We are NOT patriots. We pale in comparison to our parents. We should be ashamed.

Be a REAL patriot. Wear a mask.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
During World War II, Americans were asked to make many sacrifices. They were asked to limit their consumption of meat and processed foods because the soldiers abroad needed them. Sugar rations were half of what people normally consumed. Gasoline was limited to three gallons per week. People were asked to wear warmer clothes so that less fuel was needed to heat their homes and offices. People were asked to take shorter showers. People were even asked to contribute their rubber hoses so they could be converted into tires. These were REAL sacrifices and, thankfully, most Americans did their patriotic duty to help in the war effort. And, although such sacrifices were hard on civilians, they were NOTHING compared to what many men and women sacrificed when the put their very lives on the line to fight the enemy. I doubt that a large percentage of the populace complained that their rights were being taken away. People were true patriots then and they showed it by making sacrifices to help with the war effort instead of merely wrapping themselves in the flag and proclaiming their “rights.”

We are at war again. But this time the enemy is invisible. The enemy doesn’t honor front lines, but sneaks past those who risk their lives every day to fight this war. If the enemy touches you, you become an unwitting assistant in its battle against us. This increases the risk to our friends, families, and our front-line “soldiers,” the people who work in our hospitals and clinics. But, we know how to win this war. It really is quite easy. If we all made the tiniest sacrifice of wearing a mask, we could beat this enemy in no time. Such sacrifices are NOTHING compared to what our parents made to win WW2. So, we now call them “The Greatest Generation.” Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it? Do you think we rate such a moniker? I don’t think so. Because of our defiance in helping with the war effort, we will probably be known in the future as something more like “The Selfish Generation.” Many of us refused to wear a mask because it was our “right” to go uncovered. Really? Oh, the humanity! We greedily hoarded toilet paper, sanitizer, and the PPE that robbed our front-line soldiers of the battle gear they needed to fight the war. We are NOT patriots. We pale in comparison to our parents. We should be ashamed.

The definition of patriot has become so skewed over time. Those patriots you recall didn't wave the flag, didn't brag about patriotism, but certainly loved their country.

James Bryce
"Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong."

Last edited by Bucco; 10-23-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Coming from a family of healthcare workers, not one consider themselves hero’s, as depicted by many. It’s their job, no matter, how the day begins or ends. Arm chair net followers have no idea, what is occurring in hospitals.

Healthcare workers are donning and doffing, a N95 mask, a procedure mask, a shield, 2 gowns, hat, booties, and gloves. And yet over 600,000 healthcare workers have tested positive. You are only tested if systemic, so number could be higher.

After working for 5 months, I believe in the luck of the draw, not a single mask, will save me. I do not depend on the net, just real life.

Last edited by asianthree; 10-23-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Oh, look.. Another way to package yet another mask thread..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Well said and such a simple thing to do to keep the covid virus away!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Coming from a family of healthcare workers, not one consider themselves hero’s, as depicted by many. It’s their job, no matter, how the day begins or ends. Arm chair net followers have no idea, what is occurring in hospitals.

Healthcare workers are donning and doffing, a N95 mask, a procedure mask, a shield, 2 gowns, hat, booties, and gloves. And yet over 600,000 healthcare workers have tested positive. You are only tested if systemic, so number could be higher.

After working for 5 months, I believe in the luck of the draw, not a single mask, will save me. I do not depend on the net, just real life.
We are burning through nurses and doctors. I hope it's the ones who refuse to wear masks who end up with no medical care.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
We are burning through nurses and doctors. I hope it's the ones who refuse to wear masks who end up with no medical care.
Must be at the facility you are working at, that there is no staff. In some areas staff is running thin, but there are many who are still furloughed. Plus you have those who tested + returning, back to their shift.

So you think the guy who blows through a red light and kills someone in the other car doesn’t get medical care? You still save them no matter what has occurred.

But with your idea of refusing medical care, could curb the population for many years to come. Plus save insurance companies millions

Last edited by asianthree; 10-24-2020 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

In those times, very few Americans found ways to avoid going to the military. People are becoming less patriotic and more self centered every year.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:

Couldn’t agree more! I wear mine 24/7/365 “just to be safe”.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:00 AM

We live in a much different America now.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

And yet another individual worshiping at the altar of the holy mask. Masks can be useful in the appropriate setting, but they are not a suit of armor, they are not magical, and they are not worth the hysteria surrounding them. Right now, your best defense is social distancing. When that is not possible, a mask will offer SOME mitigation of spread, but certainly not immunity. Eventually there will be a (hopefully effective) vaccine. That's the current state of affairs.

Now, to equate mask wearing with "patriotism" and the sacrifices of WWII is simply absurd, almost a religious fanaticism. There have been dozens of pandemics in the last 2 centuries, and this one is far from the worst, yet never has there been such a drastic response by government, nor such a divisiveness among our citizens. It's amazing how many are watching the daily tally of new cases, even though that is a meaningless statistic. It's amazing how many go to a certain event then feel obligated to post how many were and weren't wearing masks. Some are stupid enough to say something to another person; they should realize that that is inherently dangerous

Everyone needs to take this down a notch, exercise common sense and eventually it will end, just like all other pandemics.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrmauu View Post
Couldn’t agree more! I wear mine 24/7/365 “just to be safe”.
Certainly you can't be serious. Are you? You wear it to bed at home? You wear it when driving alone in a car with the windows up? 24/7/365?????

All I can say is Res ipsa loquitur
Old 10-24-2020, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

This whole mask, Covid thing is all getting a bit over dramatised in my book.
We'll be crossing The Potomack next!
http://www.alancurrie.com/wp-content...ec-15_1776.jpg
Old 10-24-2020, 05:53 AM

I totally agree with your beautifully written written piece
Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And yet another individual worshiping at the altar of the holy mask. Masks can be useful in the appropriate setting, but they are not a suit of armor, they are not magical, and they are not worth the hysteria surrounding them. Right now, your best defense is social distancing. When that is not possible, a mask will offer SOME mitigation of spread, but certainly not immunity. Eventually there will be a (hopefully effective) vaccine. That's the current state of affairs.

Now, to equate mask wearing with "patriotism" and the sacrifices of WWII is simply absurd, almost a religious fanaticism. There have been dozens of pandemics in the last 2 centuries, and this one is far from the worst, yet never has there been such a drastic response by government, nor such a divisiveness among our citizens. It's amazing how many are watching the daily tally of new cases, even though that is a meaningless statistic. It's amazing how many go to a certain event then feel obligated to post how many were and weren't wearing masks. Some are stupid enough to say something to another person; they should realize that that is inherently dangerous

Everyone needs to take this down a notch, exercise common sense and eventually it will end, just like all other pandemics.
So I should offer myself and my family as the natural and to-be-expected course of this disease? I don't think herd immunity is the best course of action in controlling this particular pandemic.
Closed Thread

Tags
war, people, sacrifices, asked, enemy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.