In ground pool distance from house?

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2021, 09:23 AM
Default In ground pool distance from house?

We are thinking of putting in an , in ground pool, how close can the pool be to your house?
Talked to a few contractors, different answer from all of them.
Called , The Village , they said they don’t have a distance requirement from the house, just the lot line.
I called Sumter County , still waiting on a call back.
Thank you in advance
Old 06-21-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

When we went through the design process we had to be one foot from the eves for every foot of depth. So where our pool is five feet deep we had to be five feet away from the roof line. Where our "Beach" area is, that part of the pool is closer to the house since it is only a foot or so deep.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-21-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remarks006 View Post
We are thinking of putting in an , in ground pool, how close can the pool be to your house?
Called , The Village , they said they don’t have a distance requirement from the house, just the lot line.
Thank you in advance
Not sure why you are asking here. My logo is Dave. Even if you print it, Dave says has no value what so ever. A permit is required. If, it is refused they will tell you why.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

There is definitely a set back from lot line.
One variable - is the proximity to windows. So it your going close to a bedroom window, i think its 6 feet or you need to change out the window - i think non shattering glass or something like that.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

We put a large cement area in so we could have chairs and table between house and pool. Nice to have extra room, you won’t regret it.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

House-lanai-cage-pool. So you walk out of your house through your lanai and into the cage area where your pool is. As previously stated it is nice to have some distance between your lanai and the pool. Throwing in a spa and an elevated seating area requires a deep yard. But it is worth the expense if you have the land.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Default Pool

Just go with T&D. They’ll have all the answers. You never be sorry. They do the best job.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you in advance
Our pool is connected to our Lanai right outside of our back door.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
we are thinking of putting in an , in ground pool, how close can the pool be to your house?
Called , the village , they said they don’t have a distance requirement from the house, just the lot line.
I called sumter county , still waiting on a call back.
Thank you in advance
you should stay a mininum of three feet from your house, other you can damage the earth the slab of your house is sitting on.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderchief View Post
you should stay a mininum of three feet from your house, other you can damage the earth the slab of your house is sitting on.
stay 3 feet from your house- your house is sitting on the earth next to the pool, and you do not want to damage that support by removing earth too close to the house. Your slab could sink on the pool side
Old 06-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Just so you understand, the only answers here are worthless. The only one that counts is your city and county permitting departments. Why not just give them a call, they are very nice and believe it or not they work for you
Old 06-22-2021, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Just go with T&D. They’ll have all the answers. You never be sorry. They do the best job.
Please don't do this. I don't mean don't go with T&D (although I didn't), I mean don't "Just go with" anybody. Get at least 3 estimates and compare what you are getting, especially in the equipment department.

I have seen T&D pools - they do good work. But so do a lot of other companies. T&D is just convenient. Do your homework and make sure you understand how a pool works, and what equipment they are installing.

For me, T&D was a lot more money with undersized equipment (salt cell, filter), and the automation quoted was old equipment (more money than the latest equipment with far less features).

If T&D offers the same (or better) equipment as your other estimates at roughly the same price, then by all means go with them. But don't "Just go with" them.

As to your question on how close to the home, one of the previous posters hit it spot on "One foot from the eves for every foot of depth. So where our pool is five feet deep you have to be five feet away from the roof line." If there is a window on that wall, there is a specific distance you need to be away from the window, or you have the replace all glass with shatterproof glass. If you look at my pool, that is why the free form moves away where both windows are.

Finally, here are some tips to look for in any estimate:

1. 1) Verify filter size - the smaller the filter, the more often you will be cleaning it.
  2. 2) Look at pool automation. It will make your life easier, and will save on electricity over the long run.
  3. 3) Make sure you get auto fill/drain. Here in FL with the rain and sun we get you'll be constantly adding water or manually draining without it.
  4. 4) Get a variable speed pump. A VSP can save $20-$40 per month when run at 40%.
  5. 5) If going salt water (highly recommended), make sure the SWG cell is rated at least 2x the size of your pool.
  6. 6) Look at the included pool interior finish. Pebble finishes last far longer than plaster, and are more $$ accordingly.
  7. 7) If your deep end is less than 7', look at getting a channel drain. Normal drains are easy to stub your feet on in 5' or 6' water.
  8. 8) Look up all equipment on the manufacturers website and confirm you are getting this years models.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you in advance
The only distance issue would be how close can you dig for the pool from the footers for the lanai columns. When I put a pool in back in 2009, it was no closer than 5 ft.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, you should be able to get your answers from the Sumter county building department, you can stop by their office in Pinellas Plaza, same building as the library. You will need ARC approval, call Community Standards for more info. There will be multiple permits required, irrigation lines will need to be rerouted away from the new slab around the pool. Finally, I have been watching a pool project near me and I believe they are approaching 4 or 5 months so far and I am guessing 1 to 2 more before that will be able to actually use it, my point this very well may be an extended project. Also you should include a birdcage in your project to keep your pool safe and clean, just my humble opinion.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:37 PM

If Sumter gives you an answer you'll have your filter.
Closed Thread

Tags
pool, house, ground, called, distance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.