Options for forward thinking, new age or holistic pain treatment - Not Pot please

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 09:55 AM
Default Options for forward thinking, new age or holistic pain treatment - Not Pot please

I'm looking for recommendations for forward thinking, new age or holistic pain treatment options in The Villages. (not interested in pot)

Spinal compression issues and widespread nerve pain to be specific.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for forward thinking, new age or holistic pain treatment options in The Villages. (not interested in pot)

Spinal compression issues and widespread nerve pain to be specific.

Much appreciated.
I highly recommend CBD oils as an alternative for pain management. CBD Oil is NOT pot or Marijuana.

I also recommend being very careful where you buy it, there are a lot of scams and not so "pure" oils available.

This is a link to one of the most positively reviewed companies in the business. Not the least expensive, but very high quality.

Young Living
Old 07-23-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I highly recommend CBD oils as an alternative for pain management. CBD Oil is NOT pot or Marijuana.

I also recommend being very careful where you buy it, there are a lot of scams and not so "pure" oils available.

This is a link to one of the most positively reviewed companies in the business. Not the least expensive, but very high quality.

Young Living
I have already gone through many different companies and treatments using both pot and CBD. Did not work for me, so that's why I specified not interested.

I really need to find another option, but thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
I have already gone through many different companies and treatments using both pot and CBD. Did not work for me, so that's why I specified not interested.

I really need to find another option, but thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
I completely understand, and I am sorry CBD doesn't work for you. And I am sorry you are in pain.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

I have not, but have you tried/considered acupuncture?

Mulberry Integrative Medicine
910 Old Camp Rd #192
352-430-2720
Old 07-23-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

Young Living
I personally would never recommend Young Living. They are primarily an essential oil company that has been sued several times and warned a few times as well by the FDA. They're also an MLM, which isn't bad in and of itself, but combined with the warnings of recommending that people INGEST essential oils (which is illegal to recommend)...

Their oils are mediocre, but insanely overpriced. They also don't include the source or process, which is super important if you're actually into aromatherapy. Example:

1/2 ounce lemon oil $15.79.
You can get lemon oil with the source country and process method listed at Walmart for $4.99

And 1/2 ounce at Oregon's Liberty Natural (a wholesaler, importer, packaging plant, and lavender growing farm) for $2.75, from citrus growers right here citrus-loving California. Organic lemon oil sells for $4.53 for a half ounce.

They are considered a bane to the industry, not a boon. They are one of two of the main companies that give aromatherapy a bad name.

If you want an aromatherapeutic treatment (not cure) for pain in your back, pinched nerves, you want a vasodilator. Commercial over the counter products would be Ben Gay, Icy Hot, Tiger Balm.

If you want to make your own and not spend a fortune, you'll make a massage oil.

Cut some rosemary leaves off one long stem, and break them off into a half-cup of olive oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper seeds. If you have access to FRESH eucalyptus leaves, grab a palmful and rip them (don't cut them - you need to release the oils) into the oil. If you have access to freshly-removed white birch bark, break that up into small crumbs and toss that in there too.

Cover and let it sit on the counter, away from direct sunlight, for a couple of days.

Then strain it into a new container using cheesecloth as the strainer.

Now you can either use that by the dropful on the affected area, or mix it in to a 4-ounce container of body lotion (to yield 6 ounces total). Keep away from open orifices, wounds, pets, babies, and people with epilepsy.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 07-23-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I personally would never recommend Young Living. They are primarily an essential oil company that has been sued several times and warned a few times as well by the FDA. They're also an MLM, which isn't bad in and of itself, but combined with the warnings of recommending that people INGEST essential oils (which is illegal to recommend)...

Their oils are mediocre, but insanely overpriced. They also don't include the source or process, which is super important if you're actually into aromatherapy. Example:

1/2 ounce lemon oil $15.79.
You can get lemon oil with the source country and process method listed at Walmart for $4.99

And 1/2 ounce at Oregon's Liberty Natural (a wholesaler, importer, packaging plant, and lavender growing farm) for $2.75, from citrus growers right here citrus-loving California. Organic lemon oil sells for $4.53 for a half ounce.

They are considered a bane to the industry, not a boon. They are one of two of the main companies that give aromatherapy a bad name.

If you want an aromatherapeutic treatment (not cure) for pain in your back, pinched nerves, you want a vasodilator. Commercial over the counter products would be Ben Gay, Icy Hot, Tiger Balm.

If you want to make your own and not spend a fortune, you'll make a massage oil.

Cut some rosemary leaves off one long stem, and break them off into a half-cup of olive oil. Add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper seeds. If you have access to FRESH eucalyptus leaves, grab a palmful and rip them (don't cut them - you need to release the oils) into the oil. If you have access to freshly-removed white birch bark, break that up into small crumbs and toss that in there too.

Cover and let it sit on the counter, away from direct sunlight, for a couple of days.

Then strain it into a new container using cheesecloth as the strainer.

Now you can either use that by the dropful on the affected area, or mix it in to a 4-ounce container of body lotion (to yield 6 ounces total). Keep away from open orifices, wounds, pets, babies, and people with epilepsy.
Thank you for that information. I was not aware of the investigations. I was aware of their exorbitant pricing, and personally purchase my CBD from a company that was formed by a group that left Young Living and sell for market prices, and are completely open with their sourcing and testing.

I will stop recommending Young Living.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post

910 Old Camp Rd #192
352-430-2720
I have once in the past, but this is something I will reconsider. Thx much.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post

910 Old Camp Rd #192
352-430-2720
My doctor just gave me a referral. Thx so much!
Old 07-23-2021, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I have severe lumbar osteoporosis, so my back hurts ALL THE TIME. I've tried epidurals and RF- radiofrequency ablation procedures, but they provided very short term relief. What I do these days is yoga daily, but I find greater relief from two things:
1) I have a vibrating chairback (that also heats/cools as I may choose) that helps keep my back loose and I do this a couple/few times a day for maybe 10 minutes each, and 2) don't laugh - a "Bed of Nails" accupressure mat that I lay atop a pillow and wedge it under my back for about 20 minutes a day. Both of those things help to decompress my back.

I really don't want drugs nor surgeries. I have looked at spinal implant vibrators (HF10, I think) and some people mention this on other threads. But I'm not ready for that yet either. So, my solution is cheap, durable and effective for me.
Good luck and God Bless.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 PM

I suggest reading the website doctor yourself. com

Look on the left side of the page and read everything that relates to yourself.

I take many nutraceuticals which help me. You may want to consider high dose vitamin B3 (niacinamide) and magnesium along with a high power multi -supplement.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Sage

Also something that's helped me TREMENDOUSLY - adding a lumbar pillow to the back of your golf cart seat. It doesn't have to be fancy, you can get one from Amazon for under $30 (A Samsonite one I see there is $19.99 and has really good ratings). No more pulling my right hip forward to reach the gas pedal, no need for a very cumbersome pedal block that forces you to lift your leg up pretty high when you need to step on the brake.

I have bursitis in my hip and shoulder, and osteoporosis in both hips and my spine, and I've been living with degenerative disk disease (L4 + L5-S1) for a little over 20 years now. So I'm somewhat familiar with back pain.

I got a thermal material lumbar pillow from Sleep Number for my dad, who's 90 and has trouble standing or sitting straight upright. He says it's helped him immensely.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
I suggest reading the website doctor yourself. com

Look on the left side of the page and read everything that relates to yourself.

I take many nutraceuticals which help me. You may want to consider high dose vitamin B3 (niacinamide) and magnesium along with a high power multi -supplement.
I wouldn't ever recommend supplements to strangers, who have not been diagnosed by their own licensed medical practitioner with a deficiency. A multi vitamin is absolutely worthless to anyone who has no deficiencies, or even "low" levels of anything.

Most people are low or even deficient in vitamin D, and an OTC amount won't hurt them even if they're not low.

But niacinamide and magnesium can cause some pretty nasty unpleasant side effects for people who don't need it.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:24 PM

Youtube has tons of videos. I found one on regular physical therapy (Bob & Brad) exercises I found helpful for my shoulder. Watching that lead to a recommendation of a video on advanced soft tissue release which lead me to visit a local Myofascial Release therapist. I found some relief with one visit. I was also recommended a video for neck pain using the feldenkrais method. One feldenkrais exercise for 20 seconds each shoulder took my neck pain away - I was very surprised. TENS machines can be easily purchased, are reasonably priced, and can interrupt pain signals - helped me through an issue recently. There are ancient Chinese practices which I have witnessed working for some people like Meridian tapping and there is also Japanese Reiki. Keep watching and trying different things. Best wishes and be well!
Old 07-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
Youtube has tons of videos. I found one on regular physical therapy (Bob & Brad) exercises I found helpful for my shoulder. Watching that lead to a recommendation of a video on advanced soft tissue release which lead me to visit a local Myofascial Release therapist. I found some relief with one visit. I was also recommended a video for neck pain using the feldenkrais method. One feldenkrais exercise for 20 seconds each shoulder took my neck pain away - I was very surprised. TENS machines can be easily purchased, are reasonably priced, and can interrupt pain signals - helped me through an issue recently. There are ancient Chinese practices which I have witnessed working for some people like Meridian tapping and there is also Japanese Reiki. Keep watching and trying different things. Best wishes and be well!
You shouldn't use a TENs machine on the neck or shoulders (or eyes, genitals, over your heart, or on your scalp), and shouldn't use it at all if you have had cancer within the last five years. I used one when I had a broken arm and it seems to have helped a bit. Hard to tell though, if it was the machine, or if I would've healed fairly quickly anyway. It didn't hurt, and insurance covered it at the time though.
Closed Thread

Tags
pain, options, forward, thinking, age

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.