Looking for Router Recommendation

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2021, 09:11 AM
Default Looking for Router Recommendation

I’m not a techie but I can muddle through most simple computer and connection tasks. I’ve searched PCMagazine, CNet, Consumer reports etc and no two include the same top non mesh router recommendations. I’d prefer something something easy to install that I don’t have to control through my phone. My current router is an old NetGear which was super easy to install but is out of date. I don’t stream, but need a long range router so it will cover the entire house which has multiples of computers, tablets, printers, Alexa products. Any suggestions from you techies out there?

Last edited by bprairie31; 08-01-2021 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Update: thanks for all your recommendations. Went to Best Buy today and bought one which I hope will work!
Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

If you subscribe to Comcast, they have a list of approved modems and routers for their service.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprairie31 View Post
I’m not a techie but I can muddle through most simple computer and connection tasks. I’ve searched PCMagazine, CNet, Consumer reports etc and no two include the same top non mesh router recommendations. I’d prefer something something easy to install that I don’t have to control through my phone. My current router is an old NetGear which was super easy to install but is out of date. I don’t stream, but need a long range router so it will cover the entire house which has multiples of computers, tablets, printers, Alexa products. Any suggestions from you techies out there?
In routers, you tend to get what you pay for.

I could write a long multi-paragraph reason as to why I'm qualified to offer this advice, but I'll leave it thus.

For home use, I recommend ASUS routers as the best single point routers going, but only on routers with price points over about $125. There are cheaper ones, they are usually decent, but coverage starts to lag, specially when they only have two antennas. Buy an AC1900 or better(AC2200, etc.). If you want to future proof a bit, an AX1800 or better is the latest tech which can help congestion in busy areas. All these routers do support AIMESH, but requires a bit of effort to make it work. I run two of them in a Mesh config at our one Villa simply because I wanted some Lan ports on the other side of the villa.

If you want to talk about Mesh, like the google offering, those are typically good and seamless, but I'm sure Google is getting a report as to exactly what you're browsing .
Old 07-31-2021, 09:58 AM

I know you said non-mesh, but a year ago I bought the eero 3-pack from Amazon for less than $200. Setup was simple and the past year I have had to do nothing except use it. Only iPhone interactions is when I give a new user the password and it asks me to confirm OK. Also, I can easily block previously authorized devices.

Using it up North in a house with stone and real stucco walls (wire mesh) and it works like a charm.

I resisted going to mesh too, but now that I have, I should have done it ages ago.

Again, setup was simple and since then it just runs. BTW-it also updates itself with intervention.

JMHO
Old 07-31-2021, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Rent one from the cable company. After a month if you like it buy it elsewhere and return the other to cable company
Old 07-31-2021, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I had coverage problems (stretched Gardenia), I was able to move the Comcast Modem/router to a new locationnear the center of the house, problem solved, coverage has been great since the move.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:19 PM
Default Router

I second the motion that ASUS routers are excellent routers. I have an ASUS RT-AC2900 and have been very satisfied with it the last 3 years.

I have a Gardenia home and the router is located in the den (which is in the corner of the home). This is absolutely the worst location for a WiFi router. But I have no problem to stream video in my living room, bedrooms or lanai. No WiFi extenders or repeaters required in my home.

I think mesh routers have started to mature … so I would consider them also … but for my usage, I am completely satisfied with my current single router setup.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:11 AM

I use this:

Amazon.com

Set it up high in an open room to get the most coverage. And it has a web interface.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:04 AM
Default Router Recommendation

Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 (EA7430) about $100.

Linksys Max-Stream AC1900 (EA7430) Wireless Router - Consumer Reports
Old 08-01-2021, 06:13 AM

I have Comcast in a three-bedroom Lantana house and purchased a Linksys CG7500 (2 yrs ago) router with two RE6200 extenders all set up with a push button. One extender is in the den and another in the garage. It has a 5 gig and a 2 gig channel with great download speeds. It supports a desktop, 2 laptops, 1 iPad, 2 iPhones, 4 TVs, Xfinity home security, and a garage door opener. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2021, 06:35 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default if you have xfinity

Quote:
use Netgear c7000 v2
Old 08-01-2021, 06:37 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

if you need netgear c7000 v2 I have them available for $139.00
Old 08-01-2021, 07:39 AM

I went to Best Buy and bought the biggest and best Nighthawk router. We have a smart home and have WiFi on my lani, in my bird cage, the garage and even the yard. Great investment. It automatically upgrades software updates. Easy to install
Old 08-01-2021, 08:53 AM
Default Motorola MG7540

I purchased Motorola MC7540m 16x4 Cable Modem plus AC1600 router in November of 2020 and am very pleased. I use it in Florida with Comcast and in Michigan with Spectrum.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I have used a powerline adapter. The benefit is that it functionally turns your home electrical system into cat 5e ethernet cable. You plug the powerline adapter into your router or modem via an ethernet cable and then it plugs into a wall electrical outlet. Then you can plug in the extender into any other outlet in your home. The powerline extender I had gave you one ethernet connection and also acted as a wifi extender. We had really great connection for TV streaming via the ethernet cable and using the extender's wifi to run four ip cameras, a connected garage door opener and the Ring doorbell. I also occasionally ran several IoT electronic projects on that extender.

Google it. Keyword powerline adapter

_NW
Closed Thread

Tags
router, install, don’t, easy, tablets

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.