Turnpike noise by Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2022, 07:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,197 Times in 326 Posts
Default Turnpike noise by Southern Oaks

We played the back nine on Southern Oaks Champ course yesterday, first time. The traffic noise from the Turnpike was unsettling. Especially the semis throttling down to turn into the Okahumpka Rest area right across.

There are many homes off the fairway with their lanais facing this. I mentioned that we should start a company to glass in lanais etc there.

Those lots must have been $$$$. Personally, I would not want to live around the turnpike, esp in that area.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
We played the back nine on Southern Oaks Champ course yesterday, first time. The traffic noise from the Turnpike was unsettling. Especially the semis throttling down to turn into the Okahumpka Rest area right across.

There are many homes off the fairway with their lanais facing this. I mentioned that we should start a company to glass in lanais etc there.

Those lots must have been $$$$. Personally, I would not want to live around the turnpike, esp in that area.
If noise is as loud as you say, anyone who glasses in a lanai should look into using impact glass. It does a very good job at minimizing outside noise, but does cost 2x more than regular glass.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Yet they sell quickly - some people don't care. They acclimate and don't even hear it.

There are many many homes in south Florida between the Turnpike and I95 with even more noise and higher prices.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,021 Times in 5,322 Posts

Apparently many people have no clue how noisy the area will be.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I looked at a home on the course that backed up to the highway, wayyyy to much road noise, one minute standing in the yard convinced me.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

There may be people that have lived in places like New York City or Philadelphia all fo their lives and feel that the turnpike noise is nothing compared to what they're used to.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,021 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There may be people that have lived in places like New York City or Philadelphia all fo their lives and feel that the turnpike noise is nothing compared to what they're used to.
Grew up in Canarsie Brooklyn and depending upon wind conditions planes flew over us every 90 seconds and talking came to a stop. Shea stadium was the same.

As a result we are very cognizant of noisy living areas.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:

You missed this thread.....Lots of experts!
Southern Oaks
Old 06-25-2022, 01:33 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Back in Ohio our community had a development that was right on top of the turnpike, you could see the tops of the trucks from the back yards. When new those homes sold instantly and continue to sell quickly today. Another development was built right along the high speed railroad tracks, same thing there. Some people just don't care about the noise. The homes in Southern Oaks that are close to the pike were heavily discounted and those that don't mind the noise got some great deals.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:45 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

About a year and a half ago I overheard a conversation between tow guys that were very happy with their living arrangements "north of 466A". One said to the other .. Yea, you couldn't pay me to live below RT 44. Well, there was no need for anyone to be paid or coerced to buy there. All you have to do is to marvel at the development that has gone on in the past couple of years. Poll the residents and you will get an overwhelming positive vibe with little to no buyer remorse. I moved from the former to the latter and have zero regrets. Different strokes ..
Old 06-25-2022, 01:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
I looked at a home on the course that backed up to the highway, wayyyy to much road noise, one minute standing in the yard convinced me.
Yup, we looked at a home over behind Sugar Cane next to the dog park (Ruperts?) and stood in the front yard for a couple minutes and asked the realtor to show us another one like that one but further from the Turnpike. We bought a similar home in McClure and occasionally with the wind right and late at night, if I go outside I can hear the dump truck caravans going by on Warm Springs. But not often. And never inside.

Each of us has different tolerances. We move fro acreage 15 minutes out of a town that had a population of around 6,000. The only noise we tolerate is bird songs and crickets
Old 06-25-2022, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:

There has been several threads and lots of comments about the Turnpike noise and the close proximity to many of the homes. I just hope that The Villages doesn't get a bad reputation over all because of the growth adjacent to the Turnpike. I wish this younger generation of Morses would have kept this community smaller and stayed far away from the Turnpike.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
If noise is as loud as you say, anyone who glasses in a lanai should look into using impact glass. It does a very good job at minimizing outside noise, but does cost 2x more than regular glass.
What about opening up the windows to the homes when we have those few months of gorgeous weather?
Old 06-25-2022, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Exactly. There are those who have, on this forum, complained about the noise and did not realize how bad it is. The usual comment to those posters is, "Due diligence".
Old 06-25-2022, 03:56 PM
Default Noise

One can get used to anything, if you make up your mind to it. Unwittingly moved from a quiet town in Northern Pa to Virginia Beach years ago. Rented a little house, having no idea that I was in the direct flight path of Oceana Naval Air Station...... you want to talk "noise", lol. Learned to sleep right through it and loved every minute of it. Loved the sound of those jets coming in and taking off.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, area, noise, oaks, southern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.