How far does turnpike noise travel?

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2022, 08:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,570 Times in 424 Posts
Default How far does turnpike noise travel?

I’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked DeLuna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of DeLuna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around October, and DeLuna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at Richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - I don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should I be so I don’t hear much noise?
Old 07-31-2022, 08:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

That’s a great question, depending on the direction of the wind, the peak traffic times, truck traffic and the legal use of “Jake Brakes”, the widening with new interchange construction , must have a huge bearing on noise… The Marsh was the buffer zone but now it’s transformed into new neighborhoods
Old 07-31-2022, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

I would spend some time there at various times of the day and do this over a period of time.

Lots of places to live here
Old 07-31-2022, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Dissipates substantially if there are 3 or more homes between you and the noise source.

Few places in the Villages are free from traffic nose.

Last edited by Altavia; 07-31-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:35 PM
Sage

Dissipates substantially if thet are 3 or more homes between you and the noise source.

Purchasing a home with a view of the the Turnpike is a worse case situation.

Few places in the Villages are free from traffic nose.

Last edited by Altavia; 07-31-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Wait until they start selling homes or lots south of Monarch Grove. In my opinion, that will be a much better location.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Wait until they start selling homes or lots south of Monarch Grove. In my opinion, that will be a much better location.
Or given how fast prices increase, buy now and move later when your ideal lot comes available.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:56 PM

We are approx 5 streets and a golf course section away, but parallel to the long open stretch of the TP. (can visually see it)
It is not very noticeable during the day (outside) when there are other sounds or traffic about, but evening & night time has a very drastic difference in the volume (Much worse).
It may not bother some, others it may bother a lot.
I cant imagine being any closer & having no sound buffer like it is now, which many of those home are!
Wifes theory is, more semi-trucks traveling at night and perhaps higher speeds contributing the the massive sound increase. Strongly suggest you go - at all times of day & night, prior to purchase.

It also doesn't help that TPTB decided to chop down every single living thing and flatten it all out, in most of the newer constructed villages in order to cram in even more homes.
The home tracts areas at the far end of Morse Blvd looks down right desolate, compared of other areas of the Villages. Its depressing.
Those trees, shrubs, hills, etc helped block noise, lower day time temps (shade/wind flow) brought in birds & wildlife and is just generally more visually appealing.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

The noise can travel over 3/4 of a mile depending on cloud cover, wind, elevation and what sort of barriers are between the point that you are measuring the noise and the TP.

Golf courses and water have a huge impact on the noise.

Also, it depends how you define noise, is this a constant or intermittent? At 3/4 of a mile with a large open space for a barrier I perceive noise less than five percent of the time. Five percent being if the conditions are wrong I will hear the noise, not that I hear five percent of the noise.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:55 AM

Lots of this will also depend on how much time you actually spend outside or with your windows open. Our first home, we were 2 blocks from a RR switchyard and didn't think I'd ever get used to that. After a month or so, you never even notice it. We never had AC so the windows were always wide open and still never bothered me. You can get used to a lot. On the other hand if you spend a lot of time outside, I would not want to have a lot facing the TP.... Welcome and Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2022, 07:17 AM

There are many lots/homes in DeLuna where noise is not an issue. Don’t know availability though.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’m returning for my second lifestyle visit in a few weeks, after just getting back from my first. Interested in a new build. Liked DeLuna, but not the homes right next to turnpike (too noisy). Those in the southern part of DeLuna seem to be far enough from turnpike noise. Looking to buy around October, and DeLuna may be sold out by then, which will put me looking at Richmond. Great location, but many lots close to turnpike. Question - I don’t mind a distant hum of noise, but how far away from turnpike should I be so I don’t hear much noise?
I am not sure where these new Villages are but check to see where they are in relation to the rest area on the Turnpike. Trucks pull into there using downshifting to enter the rest area and that is very loud. I would never buy a house along the turnpike. Unlike people, the turnpike never sleeps and it just seems to get busier every passing day. I used to have a house 2 miles from I-75 and there were times I could hear that plain as day depending on the wind.

There are many areas in TV that are quiet if that is what you are looking for. The only Village I would recommend south of 44 is Fenney because it is furthest from the turnpike. North of 44 is where I would settle though to get away from the noise.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:25 AM

Also, be aware that sound will travel farther in colder air than in warm air. So if you judge the sound during a summer visit, it may be louder than you remember during the cool days/nights we have during the winter.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Lots of choices of homes far away from the turnpike.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts

OP, Any lot or house south of 44, currently available, I would visit six or seven times and hear for myself. We live about halfway between 466A and 44. It’s very quite here but still close to everything. You will be surprised how far noise can travel but on the other hand you sort of get use to it. Several years ago, we purchased a home with a beautiful pool in Central Illinois that backed up to a busy parkway and at times the noise was so bad during peak daytime travel that we never got use to it. Where we lived, the speed limit was 55 miles an hour on the parkway but few traveled the speed limit. It was okay inside the house. The experience taught us a valuable lesson. We lived there two years and bought a new house in a quite neighborhood. Good luck with your retirement.

Tags
turnpike, noise, deluna, don’t, october

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.