Darlin's Sweet Shoppe

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Default Darlin's Sweet Shoppe

Today, my wife bought a cookie at the Darlin's Sweet Shoppe @ Sawgrass Grove. I guess it was a "Gourmet" cookie because it was only 3" to 4" in diameter but cost $3.00. Also, she had to pay with a credit card because they do not accept cash. When my wife asked for a receipt she was told that she needed to give them her email address. All this in a Retirement Community.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Somebody ought to tell them their price point is just a wee bit high
Old 08-01-2022, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Somebody ought to tell them their price point is just a wee bit high
Maybe not, sales will give them a message either way.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So better description would be appropriate. Big difference between 3” or 4” , depth of cookie, what kind of cookie, did it have different kinds of chocolate, or nuts? Was the price not posted, and took her by surprise?

I drive to Disney Springs to buy Gideon’s cookies, @ $6.00 each. Only 6 cookies can be bought per trip. Up to 1hour wait time in line, Add gas cost, plus mileage. But worth the trip. Slice of one of their cakes is $8.50 to 10.50. No cash excepted. With six cookies, a slice of cake, and a cold brew, with tip my bill can be over $50.

Sometime quality of product is worth the cost, unless it’s more of a budget problem.

Last edited by asianthree; 08-01-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymac1127 View Post
Today, my wife bought a cookie at the Darlin's Sweet Shoppe @ Sawgrass Grove. I guess it was a "Gourmet" cookie because it was only 3" to 4" in diameter but cost $3.00. Also, she had to pay with a credit card because they do not accept cash. When my wife asked for a receipt she was told that she needed to give them her email address. All this in a Retirement Community.
Thanks for the heads up we will continue to bake our own. Friends have also given some highlights what’s available and will not be running back.
I’ll save my money for Girl Scout Cookies and Oreo’s.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So better description would be appropriate. Big difference between 3” or 4” , depth of cookie, what kind of cookie, did it have different kinds of chocolate, or nuts? Was the price not posted, and took her by surprise?

I drive to Disney Springs to buy Gideon’s cookies, @ $6.00 each. Only 6 cookies can be bought per trip. Up to 1hour wait time in line, Add gas cost, plus mileage. But worth the trip. Slice of one of their cakes is $8.50 to 10.50. No cash excepted. With six cookies, a slice of cake, and a cold brew, with tip my bill can be over $50.

Sometime quality of product is worth the cost, unless it’s more of a budget problem.
Love Gideon's but did you know they have another location in Orlando? I've heard it isn't as crowded but haven't been there yet. If all you are going for is Gideon's then that might be easier for you.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-01-2022, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see a.problem. $3 for a good cookie is reasonable, credit cards are easier to use, and email receipts save time and paper. I live here but don't understand how being in a retirement community changes anything.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Because likely they (and many small local operations) use SQUARE UP for processing. SQUARE UP uses an iPhone or iPad for processing, and often has no cash drawer and no printer, thus "credit only and email receipt only." If email is a concern get a "throwaway" account (gmail, yahoo, gmx and 50 others) with an "anonymous name" like COOKIEMONSTER1234567@YAHOO.COM and use that for just that kind of stuff. As time and technology marches on you will see MANY more things like this. Maybe they will eventually get a cash drawer and receipt printer depending on how many cookies they sell.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I thought Gideons made Bibles….didn’t know they made cookies too…WHAT A COUNTRY
Old 08-01-2022, 10:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Paul View Post
I thought Gideons made Bibles….didn’t know they made cookies too…WHAT A COUNTRY
Gideon’s bakery was named after a antique cookbook published in 1898. The book had faded notes from a young boy who dreamed to be a baker. The name written at the back of the book was Gideon, so bakery creator Steve Lewis, fulfilled the wishes of the young boy, naming it “Gideon’s Bakehouse”.

A gargoyle sits atop of the bakehouse holding a “G”
Old 08-02-2022, 02:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Lots of places have gone cashless especially since Covid and email receipts are getting popular, generally you have an option for no receipt as well.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Here in UK. pre-pandemic, no shop would let you use a CC for under £5.
Reason was it cost them too much to process a small amount
Now the smallest amounts are accepted, and cash still refused.
Funny old world.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Nothing better than good home cooked cookies.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Gideon’s bakery was named after a antique cookbook published in 1898. The book had faded notes from a young boy who dreamed to be a baker. The name written at the back of the book was Gideon, so bakery creator Steve Lewis, fulfilled the wishes of the young boy, naming it “Gideon’s Bakehouse”.

A gargoyle sits atop of the bakehouse holding a “G”
GIDEON’S HANDMADE COOKIES ARE NEARLY A HALF POUND EACH! @$6.00
SIX COOKIES MAX PER PERSON IN-STORE. For $6.00 it’s a meal along with a Ghirardelli sundae.
Does Darlin’s offer a Military discount and are their cookies a half pound each?
Disney also honors a military discount with proper ID. Or Disney Pass Holder.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:53 AM
Default Don't buy the ice cream

I bought a scoop of ice cream $4.00 the smallest scoop of ice cream I have ever seen.
Won't be doing that again
Closed Thread

Tags
sweet, darlins, wife, shoppe, cookie

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.