Looking for used golf cart advice

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2022, 10:44 AM
Default Looking for used golf cart advice

My wife and I will be snowbirding soon and are in the market for a used golf cart. I for sure want a Yamaha efi and would like to stay under $10k.
I've ridden motorcycles just about my entire life, so I'm very familiar with power equipment.

But I've never owned a golf cart. Just wondering what to look for? I noticed a certain guy is always selling reconditioned carts in TV on Facebook. Not sure if he's legit?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

There are a lot of threads on here about new/re conditioned/used. One thread was within the last 2 weeks.
You can get a wide range of upgrades, personal choice, suggest doing some in person shopping to see what options are available vs what you want.

You can get a good education online, but i suggest in person at one of the many places in and around the villages.

The one upgrade I highly recommend, are comfortable seats. You spend a lot of time in the golf cart, and bad seats = bad back.
Also, I was not a fan of seat belts when we first bought, but i think they are important too.
All the other stuff is preference.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:07 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

First, don’t purchase the first cart you see. All of the golf cart dealers have used carts. Check out some to get a feel of prices. Some with a warranty. Next check some of the ads on this site and others. From a Daily Sun ad is where we purchased the wife’s cart. Drive around some of the established TV neighborhoods and you will find individuals have carts for sale. I purchased my first cart that way. Take your time and do your due diligence. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2022, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,529 Posts

Buying used…I’d advise looking for a more basic, entry-level cart. The fewer gongs and whistles, the fewer things can go wrong.

Check apholstery and tire wear. A salesman can tell you whatever, but if those two items appear near-pristine, odds are that the previous owner(s) didn’t use it too hard. We paid $5200.00 for a 2013 Yamaha using those two criteria (among others) and haven’t had any problems at all in two years—and my wife uses the cart all the time.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:15 PM

Be sure to check the VIN so you know exactly what you are buying. Agree with other poster on nice seats = happy tush. Enjoy TV!
Old 11-26-2022, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, at $10k you may be very close to the price of a NEW basic cart OUT OF state. I am hoping that some of the people who have done this will respond to verify. If this is the case, then, buy new, and add the features you want later.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Look into buying out of state , there are a few places in Georgia that will ship them to Florida....
Old 11-26-2022, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Look into buying out of state , there are a few places in Georgia that will ship them to Florida....
But check first of anyone local will do warranty service of you do.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:12 PM
Platinum member

You probably have a lot of suggestions by now. Noted you wanted an EFI Yamaha. Suggest getting the Quietech version. 1st models came out in 2017 Very quiet. In fact most of noise on my cart is from the tires. I am a tall person(6'2") and Yamaha has the highest roof line. Not a problem if you do not have curtains.

One person suggested getting good seats. Good cushioned seats are more comfy, but may not be the best if you are a golfer. Some seats do not have enough bolstering on the sides and a person can slide on the seat on a sidehill.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
My wife and I will be snowbirding soon and are in the market for a used golf cart. I for sure want a Yamaha efi and would like to stay under $10k.
I've ridden motorcycles just about my entire life, so I'm very familiar with power equipment.

But I've never owned a golf cart. Just wondering what to look for? I noticed a certain guy is always selling reconditioned carts in TV on Facebook. Not sure if he's legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, at $10k you may be very close to the price of a NEW basic cart OUT OF state. I am hoping that some of the people who have done this will respond to verify. If this is the case, then, buy new, and add the features you want later.
For what it’s worth, here are my two cents of advice. First and most importantly, you already have done the most important thing by identifying what you want. I applaud your decision as you selected both the best manufacturer and power source available.

As far as Yamaha EFI carts go, they started making EFI carts in 2014. From 2014 to 2016 the EFI carts are NOT quiet techs. From 2017 to now, all EFI’s are quiet techs. I own a 2014 EFI and it’s a great cart, but that being said the EFI quiet techs are way better. Contrary to popular belief, the quiet techs aren’t far superior because they run almost as quiet as an electric cart (that’s a bonus), but because they have rear independent suspension. That is an absolutely great feature, since every bump you hit doesn’t feel like it’s going up your spine. The comfort of the quiet techs ride is industry leading.

There is currently a supply shortage for new Yamaha EFI quiet techs (typically long wait times), so the demand for used Yamaha EFI’s is very high. IMHO that has resulted in used cart prices that are not a good value. At your stated price cap, I would suspect you would be limiting yourself to a 2016 or older EFI, so you wouldn’t get the independent rear suspension.

I had an order in at a Yamaha dealer up north for a stripped down new EFI quiet tech PTV, which I planned to trick out myself and trailer down to the Villages. Unfortunately, they told me not to expect the cart to be available until next summer. Lucky for me, because of a post I read on TOTV, I called Outdoor Villages Power in Webster, FL and inquired about buying a new EFI quiet tech PTV from them. They had three or four carts available in inventory and one of them was in a color I was hoping for. I jumped on it and gave them a deposit to hold the cart for me. Before taxes I was able to get the brand new cart for $10.5K. The cart is fairly basic, but the PTV model has the high speed gears necessary for the Villages and the price includes upgrading to the ultra premium light package with LED head and tail lights, turn signals, a horn, as well as side view mirrors with blinkers on the outside and turn signal indicators for the driver to see on the mirrors. The price of the cart included a 2% discount for paying with either cash or a bank check and includes free delivery of the cart and a free oil change and full going over of the cart (they will come to our house to do the service) after thirty hours of operation. So I got a brand new EFI quiet tech with the rear independent suspension, before taxes, for only $500 above your price cap. Over time I will be sinking much more money into the cart by adding multiple accessories myself from online places like buggies unlimited, but will still save lots of money. The two biggest expenses in front of me will be quality aftermarket bucket seats and a soft sided roll up enclosure. The first things I will be getting for the cart will be a non tinted folding windshield (much easier to see at night), seat belts, a sand bottle kit, a floor mat, and a kill switch (the cart comes with a unique personalized ignition/keys). Later on I will add stuff like a cooler, overhead and dash storage, a hardwired gps speedometer/odometer, an overhead led dome light, and a water bottle cage for my Bluetooth speaker.

Just remember, like it or not, electric is getting jammed down our throats and going forward it’s going to become increasingly difficult to get a new EFI powered cart, and used EFI carts will be at a premium. That’s why I decided to get a brand new one now. I plan to take good care of it, change the oil frequently, use only ethanol free gas, and not let guests use it (my old EFI will be for that). I now have the best cart available, brand new, which should easily last 15 - 20 years, at which point I will be a friggin dinosaur. Can’t wait to take delivery of the new cart when we get to the Villages after Christmas. : )

Hope that helps and good luck!

Last edited by tophcfa; 11-26-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
For what it’s worth, here are my two cents of advice. First and most importantly, you already have done the most important thing by identifying what you want. I applaud your decision as you selected both the best manufacturer and power source available.

As far as Yamaha EFI carts go, they started making EFI carts in 2014. From 2014 to 2016 the EFI carts are NOT quiet techs. From 2017 to now, all EFI’s are quiet techs. I own a 2014 EFI and it’s a great cart, but that being said the EFI quiet techs are way better. Contrary to popular belief, the quiet techs aren’t far superior because they run almost as quiet as an electric cart, but because they have rear independent suspension. That is an absolutely great feature, since every bump you hit doesn’t feel like it’s going up your spine. The comfort of the quiet techs ride is industry leading.

There is currently a supply shortage for new Yamaha EFI quiet techs (typically long wait times), so the demand for used Yamaha EFI’s is very high. IMHO that has resulted in used cart prices that are not a good value. At your stated price cap, I would suspect you would be limiting yourself to a 2016 or older EFI, so you wouldn’t get the independent rear suspension.

I had an order in at a Yamaha dealer up north for a stripped down new EFI quiet tech PTV, which I planned to trick out myself and trailer down to the Villages. Unfortunately, they told me not to expect the cart to be available until next summer. Lucky for me, because of a post I read on TOTV, I called Outdoor Villages Power in Webster, FL and inquired about buying a new EFI quiet tech PTV from them. They had three or four carts available in inventory and one of them was in a color I was hoping for. I jumped on it and gave them a deposit to hold the cart for me. Before taxes I was able to get the brand new cart for $10.5K. The cart is fairly basic, but the PTV model has the high speed gears necessary for the Villages and the price includes upgrading to the ultra premium light package with LED head and tail lights, turn signals, a horn, as well as side view mirrors with blinkers on the outside and turn signal indicators for the driver to see on the mirrors. So I got a brand new EFI quiet tech with the rear independent suspension, before taxes, for only $500 above your price cap. Over time I will be sinking much more money into the cart by adding multiple accessories myself from online places like buggies unlimited, but will still save lots of money. The two biggest expenses in front of me will be quality aftermarket bucket seats and a soft sided roll up enclosure. The first things I will be getting for the cart will be a non tinted folding windshield, seat belts, a sand bottle kit, a floor mat, and a kill switch (the cart comes with a unique personalized ignition/keys). Later on I will add stuff like a cooler, overhead and dash storage, and a hardwired gps speedometer/odometer, an overhead dome light, and a water bottle cage for my Bluetooth speaker.

Just remember, like it or not, electric is getting jammed down our throats and going forward it’s going to become increasingly difficult to get a new EFI powered cart, and used EFI carts will be at a premium. That’s why I decided to get a brand new one now. I plan to take good care of it, change the oil frequently, use only ethanol free gas, and not let guests use it (my old EFI will be for that). I now have the best cart available, brand new, which should last 15 - 20 years, at which point I will be a friggin dinosaur. Can’t wait to take delivery of the new cart when we get to the Villages after Christmas. : )

Hope that helps and good luck!
Lots of good info. Thanks a bunch
Old 11-27-2022, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

I wanted comfy upgraded seats, seat belts, self-cancelling turn signals and a gas gauge. Those were my must-haves.
all the other stuff were ..........I can take it or leave it. That plastic shelf above the windshield is awfully had to get your hand into, let alone to see inside.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You are correct. I bought a brand new 2022 Yamaha Drive2 basic cart for $10,500. In stock no wait from Advantage Carts paid just $75 for delivery and they installed a “uncommon “ ignition switch no extra charge. They also came out to the house shortly after they delivered it to fine tune the cart for a nice smooth ride. Extremely happy with our cart.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:16 AM
Default Golf Cart purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post

We bought a 2011 Yamaha 4 seat cart, 2 1/2 years ago, for $5,000. Added front/rear seat belts and front/rear shelves. Replaced the standard seats with a high back/arm rest seat for $1,100 (SHOULD HAVE paid $800 more for the bucket seats!!). All told, about $6,500. Runs great, goes too fast, a little noisy but reliable and fun.

There is a substantial difference between old and new technology. QFI is really quieter and the suspension is better for a smoother ride. However, for a 4 seater with comparable features, the cost is going to be north of $12k for used carts and $15k+ for new.

We use Willy's for "at home" cart service and 24 hr. Golf Cart Service for roadside emergencies.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

You may want to head to Ocala there are quite a few dealers there and less expensive than The Villages.

Tags
golf, cart, advice, owned, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.