Chicken

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Gold member
Default Chicken

I debated about posting this thread here since I copied it from my response to Jimbo2012's post. But, I think it is important to women. I consider myself a healthy person and I know it has made my life miserable for the last 18-20 months. So, here it is again on this thread.

I am not a vegan or a vegetarian. But my thoughts on eating chicken have changed dramatically in the last few weeks. I try to eat healthy so I had been eating a lot of chicken.

In the past 18 months or so, I have been having recurring UTIs. They just won't go away. The doctors have been giving me Cipro (an antibiotic) which helps for a few weeks. Now they are telling me the Cipro and the chicken I have been eating have made the infections worse!

I knew chickens were raised in a very close environment but I didn't know they were given antibiotics to keep them alive! In my case, the Cipro and the chicken not only killed the bad antibodies but also the good.

There was a segment on this a few weeks ago on the evening news. I think it was on NBC but I may be wrong. Anyway, they called it the"Super Bug" and said these infections could affect as many as 8 million women. So, be careful.

After this segment on TV, I asked my urologist if this is my problem. He said yes and there isn't a vaccine for it yet!

I have cut way down on the chicken I was eating! But now, it is antibiotic free chicken! Its a little more expensive but it is worth it!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

Good sleuthing! That is why it is so important to know the source of your meat and veggies. Any animals and poultry raised in a large caged environment will get antibiotics routinely in order to keep the illnesses at a minimum. In fact I have read that slaughtering of cattle occurs just before the animals are declared not fit for human consumption. We forget to think about the health of the animals when we buy meat. We buy our meat directly from the farmers we know who raise them humanely and don't use antibiotics and hormones. If you buy organic you will have less chance of getting unwanted meds etc. There is such widespread factory farming nationwide, that superbugs have developed to overcome the abundance of antibiotics that is rampant in the food chain.

Be sure to take a good probiotic when you are on a course of antibiotics in order to reestablish the gut flora. Remember that a major part of the immune system is in the gut. I saw that Renew from Amazon has various levels of live cultures from 200+billion which would repopulate the colon quite quickly.

If you want to have meat, stay away from processed meats as they have nitrates and sodium among other things. Publix sells grassfed beef which I have found to be quite useful for homemade burgers and casserole sauces if you make that.

Google the list of fruits and veggies that have the most pesticides and the least pesticides and I have found that Publix carries most of them, though you have to check that they haven't travelled miles and miles to get there! The farmers market is also a good source of "clean" veggies if you ask the questions about spraying.

Good for you for taking another step down the road to better health! Every journey is made up of small steps that add up to giant leaps.

LW888
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Sage

Never new the problems were this severe, just found this on poultry farming.

also Consumer Reports magazine report on the issue "How safe is that chicken? "

Saying "Each year, salmonella and campylobacter from chicken and other food sources infect 3.4 million Americans, send 25,500 to hospitals, and kill about 500, according to estimates by the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention"

Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Good sleuthing! That is why it is so important to know the source of your meat and veggies. Any animals and poultry raised in a large caged environment will get antibiotics routinely in order to keep the illnesses at a minimum. In fact I have read that slaughtering of cattle occurs just before the animals are declared not fit for human consumption. We forget to think about the health of the animals when we buy meat. We buy our meat directly from the farmers we know who raise them humanely and don't use antibiotics and hormones. If you buy organic you will have less chance of getting unwanted meds etc. There is such widespread factory farming nationwide, that superbugs have developed to overcome the abundance of antibiotics that is rampant in the food chain.

Be sure to take a good probiotic when you are on a course of antibiotics in order to reestablish the gut flora. Remember that a major part of the immune system is in the gut. I saw that Renew from Amazon has various levels of live cultures from 200+billion which would repopulate the colon quite quickly.

If you want to have meat, stay away from processed meats as they have nitrates and sodium among other things. Publix sells grassfed beef which I have found to be quite useful for homemade burgers and casserole sauces if you make that.

Google the list of fruits and veggies that have the most pesticides and the least pesticides and I have found that Publix carries most of them, though you have to check that they haven't travelled miles and miles to get there! The farmers market is also a good source of "clean" veggies if you ask the questions about spraying.

Good for you for taking another step down the road to better health! Every journey is made up of small steps that add up to giant leaps.

LW888
Believe me, I am watching everything I put in my mouth these days!! The urologist does want me to take probiotics, eat plain yogurt and has me on another antibiotic everyday for 6 weeks! I am also seeing a wellness doctor who has me taking three "natural" supplements to restore the kidney, etc. The doctors do know about each other! It sounds like it is going to be a long process but hopefully everything will eventually get back to normal!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i know where our chickens, beef and pig come from up north..raised on a farm by friends...may not be eating much meat in TV if i can't get the same
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
Believe me, I am watching everything I put in my mouth these days!! The urologist does want me to take probiotics, eat plain yogurt and has me on another antibiotic everyday for 6 weeks! I am also seeing a wellness doctor who has me taking three "natural" supplements to restore the kidney, etc. The doctors do know about each other! It sounds like it is going to be a long process but hopefully everything will eventually get back to normal!
Yikes! Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.