Is change good?

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Starting a conversation with TOTV members may or may not be helpful. But the person with whom you really need to talk is your intended. There are many ramifications to cohabitating as well as marriage.

I have attached a pdf of an extensive “Pre-Marriage Awareness Questionnaire”. While some of the questions may not apply, there are many others that should spark the conversation that you should be having with him.

The questions fall into the categories of Communication, Religion/Spirituality, Cleanliness, Pets, Family/Children/Parenting, Romance/Sex, and Finances

https://www.premarriagequestionnaire...stionnaire.pdf
Old 10-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
i love all the comments and please keep them coming...i am not exactly asking for advice, just want to spark a debate on the forum and give food for thought to everyone who reads it....i especially love the quote about marrying the one you can't live without. and i would have to say to the post about where do i feel most alive and myself, is when i am in Italy! so that is not likely to happen on a long term basis Madelaine Amee you really struck a chord with me, thank you! now let's hear from a few others!
Thanks Cha. I have been married for many years, but this subject comes up often with my friends who find themselves left alone and lonely, but you have got past the "lonely" stage and, quite honestly, do you want to start living with someone again .... doing their laundry, cooking, cleaning, having to consider someone else's feelings, getting used to living with another human? Difficult situation and I hope I am never faced with it although I know what I would do .... My ideal situation would be to have a female companion who wanted to travel to the same places I did, who could afford to live the way I can and just wanted a warm body in the house to say HI once in a while. Without my husband I could probably be a happy hermit so I may not be the best person to be talking about this subject.

I really hope this post continues, it is interesting to see others views.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Marriage ??

[QUOTE=manaboutown;1594559]As I see it, Dianne, you are fortunate. My suggestion is you pray about it.

A comment about this:

Hi, I am a lucky guy since my wife has put up with me for 43 years. I can tell you my thoughts, briefly. It is not a 50/50 relationship. I think it goes like this: 20/80, 30/70, 50/50, 60/40 etc., etc. Get the picture? It is a two way effort and when it is time for your effort, get it out and make it work. It is not always easy. I will also estimate that the woman makes the marriage work, more than a man. Not sure why, just an opinion. Maybe that is why they are mothers? And maybe this? You ALWAYS have to be fair, disagree yes, but be fair. You might just wonder somewhere, where is the fair part right now? Have you ever rowed a boat? Go do it, it will not work to go anywhere if one person only rows one side, that means going in circles. It is not always a smooth road, you may have to develop good shock absorbers and softer springs and then realize, the road is not always what you wanted. Keep in mind, BE FAIR ! Again, I am very lucky and she is a wonderful person, (most of the time).
Good luck to you and yours.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Will you still be able to swing, that's the question.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Platinum member

" the thought of changing one's entire lifestyle at this age is daunting. yet the prospect of a good companion during one's last years offers some allure..."

I guess I don't understand why you can't have the second without the change. Many, many couples in TV are living together or are exclusive with one another without marriage. for many it's a financial thing...marriage would cause a forfeiture of spousal pension or soc. sec. Why does he want marriage. As others have said, at this stage of our lives there could be real consequences of being legally bound to someone where there is a greater chance of illness in our future. Do you each have children? that often adds to the stress of marriages and resentment. So I guess I'm saying do the old pros and cons list. I personally think a committed, exclusive relationship whether you live together or not would be best. I would not give up your house.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Thanks Cha. I have been married for many years, but this subject comes up often with my friends who find themselves left alone and lonely, but you have got past the "lonely" stage and, quite honestly, do you want to start living with someone again .... doing their laundry, cooking, cleaning, having to consider someone else's feelings, getting used to living with another human? Difficult situation and I hope I am never faced with it although I know what I would do .... My ideal situation would be to have a female companion who wanted to travel to the same places I did, who could afford to live the way I can and just wanted a warm body in the house to say HI once in a while. Without my husband I could probably be a happy hermit so I may not be the best person to be talking about this subject.

I really hope this post continues, it is interesting to see others views.
I think you and I should divorce our husbands and go traveling together.

On the other hand, I guess the poison you are used to is better than the poison you haven't tried. LOL.

Maybe not the best advice for ChaChaCha so let's just leave it between us married gals.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:53 PM

Well, a big event has happened for you! I think it is very wise for you to weigh all the issues in such a decision. I'm guessing there are serious doubts as well as positives in this. Personally, to me it seems like you have known this person less than a year and it might be wise to go on as is for a while - as we know, our true selves show up later in relationships. Waiting could also make the issues more clear. I know I am much more into my own freedom of choices later in life than before. I didn't particularly like being married (maybe the wrong man?) but I do love being independent and doing what I want. I am in a relationship again with the man whose house I live in. We have always been connected and came together s a couple after I left TV last year. WE both like being independent and are not interested in the trappings of marriage, especially legally and with family (he has 4 kids, pre-nup and all that)
We are fine with co-habitation and civil union so that serves us well.
However many responses you get, your very own heart will be pulled to do this or not. Which would you regret more, doing it or not doing it? It is a difficult fork in the road...best of luck and I hope to hear how it all turns out and to see you again soon.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:28 PM

I wish you all the best Cha...hope to meet you at the next Meet and Greet as my work schedule has kept me from doing so in the past. I like the quote..'living with someone you can't live without'.. that says it all..not just 'living together'. See you soon....aj
Old 11-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square

What was the status of your other relationships? Are you always without male companionship? Do you date regularly? Is having a man that important?
Closed Thread

Tags
good, life, thought, generate, allure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.