Considering the Villages, apparently it's a good place for singles?

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2017, 04:40 AM
Default Considering the Villages, apparently it's a good place for singles?

How about for a single 52 year old female?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Most of the singles groups have fun together. Send a note to Chachacha. She has been the unofficial leader of the singles for a long time and she is a lovely, smart, kind person.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Good For All.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirene View Post
How about for a single 52 year old female?
Please contact Chachacha and plan a visit. I am a single man who has visited The Villages three times as well as several other 55 and over communities. If I were able to make the move today, as a single, I would definitely choose The Villages over any other such community. It is the best choice by far for singles IMHO!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Sage

if you plan a visit i will do all i can to help you meet people and have fun, but i must say that the younger and younger singles will soon have to find a new event planner as there is a great age disparity between me and 52 even the Baby Boomers are older than that, so perhaps a new group should form for Fabulous Fifties or something similar. Singles of all ages can find a happy life here, however, and we welcome you!
Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Platinum member

Nobody goes to The Villages anymore. It's too crowded. And growing too fast.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

You might find yourself being the baby on the block if you were to move here. My wife and I are 63 and we're the youngest on our block. If you're comfortable living around folks that are mostly at least ten years older than you, then you might like it here for all the usual reasons (great weather, nice homes, fairly reasonable prices and almost unlimited activities). At 52, you might have a bit of a challenge buying here as I believe the rules state that some high percentage of each neighborhood (with a few exceptions for people working for The Villages) must have as the owner (or one of the owners) someone who is at least 55 years old. The advice given above about looking into a week-long stay at a "lifestyle preview" would give you a chance to find out more and try on the lifestyle.

Be forewarned that some folks have chosen to create a titillating view of life in The Villages, claiming that it's a non-stop orgy town with people swapping golf cart keys and STDs and frequently having public sex on the town squares. The day-to-day reality has, in our almost-a-year of living here, been nothing at all like that. Our experience is that it's a huge collection of friendly, happy people having a lot of fun and bending over backwards to help and be nice to each other. Or maybe we're just not that hot!

Last edited by JerryLBell; 12-20-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

You don’t have to be 55 to buy here.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

A great place to make many new friends.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have always enjoyed a wide variety of friends. I still do. Some people limit their friends to their age and frankly I think they miss a lot of fun.

This is not a place to quickly find a spouse or a pick up. It is a lot of nice neighborhoods with a lot of single people, many who have been widowed.

It is not a convent or a monastery here but it isn't the place with a lot of wild swapping either that is highly rumored among folks who have never been here or wish they lived here and can't afford it and want to be mean..

There are a lot of normal people living here and a lot of happily married ones too. AND a few oddballs.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-21-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

The dog parks are great for socializing. You do need a pooch though. I know one couple who have the same birthday of May 31 who met at a local dog park and then they made that their anniversary by getting married on that day.

I have met many married and single people as well at local dog parks and these are of various ages. Some come in from the neighborhoods outside the Villages--like Parkwood-- which allow kids.

Been going to one dog park since 2006 but also visit the four Villager only dog parks as well. Villagers do have guests at these but you need to be accompanied by someone with a Villagers ID.

I did start going to a dog park in 2006 when looking for information for people there about where I could get a suitable dog.

Resided in the Villages since July 2005 and moved here when I was 46. Parents own the home not me.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 12-21-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I think the first thing to ask oneself is "Is a 55 and over community for me - at this point in my life? ".

If one answers yes then list must haves, like to haves, don't wants and so on.

Most 55 and over communities, at least the newer ones, are out in the middle of nowhere because that is where land is cheap. The Villages may have once been considered remote but as it has grown most services one needs on a relatively frequent basis have become convenient. That is rarely the case at newer smaller developments.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM

I'm 53. I met with a singles group yesterday at Spanish Springs. South of Sixty. SOS. It was soooo much fun. And it's going to get better I'm sure.

Last edited by Mr. Kipp; 01-01-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM

Don’t let age dictate your decision. We bought 4 years ago when I was 51. I’m further South and closer to Brownwood. Lots of friends in my neighborhood in their 50’s. I have a lot of friends in their 60’s and 70’s, too. Actually.... they’re so busy and athletic they could run circles around a lot of 50 year olds that are here 😬
Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Nobody goes to The Villages anymore. It's too crowded. And growing too fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
You might find yourself being the baby on the block if you were to move here. My wife and I are 63 and we're the youngest on our block. If you're comfortable living around folks that are mostly at least ten years older than you, then you might like it here for all the usual reasons (great weather, nice homes, fairly reasonable prices and almost unlimited activities). At 52, you might have a bit of a challenge buying here as I believe the rules state that some high percentage of each neighborhood (with a few exceptions for people working for The Villages) must have as the owner (or one of the owners) someone who is at least 55 years old. The advice given above about looking into a week-long stay at a "lifestyle preview" would give you a chance to find out more and try on the lifestyle.

Be forewarned that some folks have chosen to create a titillating view of life in The Villages, claiming that it's a non-stop orgy town with people swapping golf cart keys and STDs and frequently having public sex on the town squares. The day-to-day reality has, in our almost-a-year of living here, been nothing at all like that. Our experience is that it's a huge collection of friendly, happy people having a lot of fun and bending over backwards to help and be nice to each other. Or maybe we're just not that hot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have always enjoyed a wide variety of friends. I still do. Some people limit their friends to their age and frankly I think they miss a lot of fun.

This is not a place to quickly find a spouse or a pick up. It is a lot of nice neighborhoods with a lot of single people, many who have been widowed.

It is not a convent or a monastery here but it isn't the place with a lot of wild swapping either that is highly rumored among folks who have never been here or wish they lived here and can't afford it and want to be mean..

There are a lot of normal people living here and a lot of happily married ones too. AND a few oddballs.
All I can say is GG is right, Jerry is a little off the mark, and Cisco is on another planet. They are still selling homes as fast as they can build them. I'm 58, have been here 4 years, and I'm far from the youngest person on the block. I'm also recently widowed, and outside of the obvious, my social life hasn't really changed despite being "single". I haven't even thought of looking at singles groups yet, but Chacha is certainly the person to talk to. Good luck with your decision and Happy New Year!

Last edited by golfing eagles; 01-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
single, year, female, singles, apparently

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.