Considering the Villages, apparently it's a good place for singles?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

If you love to drink this is the place for you!
You will feel very much at home.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Very few people drink a lot. Plenty of nice singles here. We came here young, very young for a retirement community. It's a nice mix, not like some over 55 communities where the average age is much higher.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
If someone "loves to drink", they loved it long before they came to TV and will probably seek out a bar in the afterlife. This is NOT a community of drunks.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
All I can say is GG is right, Jerry is a little off the mark, and Cisco is on another planet. They are still selling homes as fast as they can build them. I'm 58, have been here 4 years, and I'm far from the youngest person on the block. I'm also recently widowed, and outside of the obvious, my social life hasn't really changed despite being "single". I haven't even thought of looking at singles groups yet, but Chacha is certainly the person to talk to. Good luck with your decision and Happy New Year!
Cisco is not on another planet. He's being humorous and using a well-known quote that's actually been reiterated on TOTV in the past. He is a big TV fan. Maybe you were being humorous too, and it went over my head.

In any event, I agree with everything else you said, and hope you are doing well, GE.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
If someone "loves to drink", they loved it long before they came to TV and will probably seek out a bar in the afterlife. This is NOT a community of drunks.

I agree completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

There's something here for everyone -- drinker/teetotaler, social butterfly/homebody, hoping to date/contentedly single, athlete/couch potato, gas/electric carters. :-)

Demographic information by county are available online, if that's important to you.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Cisco is not on another planet. He's being humorous and using a well-known quote that's actually been reiterated on TOTV in the past. He is a big TV fan. Maybe you were being humorous too, and it went over my head.

In any event, I agree with everything else you said, and hope you are doing well, GE.
No, Cisco went over MY head. But then again, I haven't been in top form for the last few months. It did seem quite a strange comment from Cisco, but I missed the sarcasm completely. Maybe I'll start drinking LOL
Old 01-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
All I can say is GG is right, Jerry is a little off the mark, and Cisco is on another planet. They are still selling homes as fast as they can build them. I'm 58, have been here 4 years, and I'm far from the youngest person on the block. I'm also recently widowed, and outside of the obvious, my social life hasn't really changed despite being "single". I haven't even thought of looking at singles groups yet, but Chacha is certainly the person to talk to. Good luck with your decision and Happy New Year!
I am very sorry to read of your wife's recent passing. I had wondered why your postings had abated. My sincere condolences. IMHO The Villages is a highly supportive place for recently widowed people to reside. Best wishes for the future.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I am very sorry to read of your wife's recent passing. I had wondered why your postings had abated. My sincere condolences. IMHO The Villages is a highly supportive place for recently widowed people to reside. Best wishes for the future.
Thank you very much. Happy New Year and a great 2018!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
No, Cisco went over MY head. But then again, I haven't been in top form for the last few months. It did seem quite a strange comment from Cisco, but I missed the sarcasm completely. Maybe I'll start drinking LOL
Cisco was using a Yoga Berraism, the things he said like "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical." Once he was asked about a restaurant and he said "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".
Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Sage

happy to see that some of the married couples here have piped up with their opinions, which are always welcome....also happy to see that Mr Kipp has found some people his own age...there truly is something for everyone and every interest....check it out! and also my heartfelt condolences to Soaring Eagle. most of us know what you are going through....
Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 PM

A lot of the information above is false. We do have a very active group for people under 60, called South of Sixty. This club has over 300 members and growing. There is usually something going on weekly and they also have many Singles who meet within group and do other activities.
You do not need to be 55 to purchase here. I am 52 and own in The Villages. I am also a Realtor in The Villages, So feel free to ask me anything!
You will love it here!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
You might find yourself being the baby on the block if you were to move here. My wife and I are 63 and we're the youngest on our block. If you're comfortable living around folks that are mostly at least ten years older than you, then you might like it here for all the usual reasons (great weather, nice homes, fairly reasonable prices and almost unlimited activities). At 52, you might have a bit of a challenge buying here as I believe the rules state that some high percentage of each neighborhood (with a few exceptions for people working for The Villages) must have as the owner (or one of the owners) someone who is at least 55 years old. The advice given above about looking into a week-long stay at a "lifestyle preview" would give you a chance to find out more and try on the lifestyle.

Be forewarned that some folks have chosen to create a titillating view of life in The Villages, claiming that it's a non-stop orgy town with people swapping golf cart keys and STDs and frequently having public sex on the town squares. The day-to-day reality has, in our almost-a-year of living here, been nothing at all like that. Our experience is that it's a huge collection of friendly, happy people having a lot of fun and bending over backwards to help and be nice to each other. Or maybe we're just not that hot!
We have several people living in our Village in their 50’s near Brownwood. I suggest you look at property as far South as you can, including the new areas south of 44. The residents seem to be much younger, newer retirees

Old 01-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
I suppose that is true, but there are lots and lots of things to do int he Villages besides drink. For us, drinking is something we do sometimes at night to relax after we have done many thing already during the day.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

I believe that the first Club ever in TV was called the SOLO Club, so TV has always been friendly to singles.
Closed Thread

Tags
single, year, female, singles, apparently

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.