hi from Firenze Italy

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Sage
Default hi from Firenze Italy

hi gang, i see not much is happening on this forum so i thought i would share my great experience studying a language in Florence, Italy. i combined this with a group tour and have had a blast...the learning experience can be done in any country and is an immediate way to meet people from all over the world. my friend jeannie is taking a cooking class besides the Italian class, and i am taking Art History, taught in Italian, which is very interesting. The school, Michelangelo Institute, arranges group tours at very low prices and the art history teacher also takes us to museums etc as part of the curriculum...there are students from Brazil, Germany, Columbia, US, China, almost everywhere and we have group dinners which are a lot of fun. We are in a Senior program with a special low price but the fellow students are all ages...some as young as 18 a nice change from the Villages for a while. So think about putting a learning cap on for Italian, Spanish, German, French, i am sure almost every country has language schools that are similar. It's a wonderful way to see a city and a country and meet new people while learning! Has anyone had any experience about this kind of thing to share here?
Old 04-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
hi gang, i see not much is happening on this forum so i thought i would share my great experience studying a language in Florence, Italy. i combined this with a group tour and have had a blast...the learning experience can be done in any country and is an immediate way to meet people from all over the world. my friend jeannie is taking a cooking class besides the Italian class, and i am taking Art History, taught in Italian, which is very interesting. The school, Michelangelo Institute, arranges group tours at very low prices and the art history teacher also takes us to museums etc as part of the curriculum...there are students from Brazil, Germany, Columbia, US, China, almost everywhere and we have group dinners which are a lot of fun. We are in a Senior program with a special low price but the fellow students are all ages...some as young as 18 a nice change from the Villages for a while. So think about putting a learning cap on for Italian, Spanish, German, French, i am sure almost every country has language schools that are similar. It's a wonderful way to see a city and a country and meet new people while learning! Has anyone had any experience about this kind of thing to share here?
Where are you staying while at the school? Sounds like a great way to see Florence and meet some really interesting people. How long are you staying? Interested to hear more about your trip.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-05-2018, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

I would very much enjoy that. Hope to see you when you get back.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Loved Firenze!

Hard not to love it with the fantastic history, top quality leather goods (bought three jackets/coats)...and a balcony view like this.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Firenze (Florence) Italy.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	74692  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM

And The FOOD!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 AM

What a great idea, journey, learning and fun experience! Please share more when you return!!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Sage

nice to see all the great responses! we first took a two week tour which included our air fare and arranged our return for three weeks later...we rented an apt which can be done through AirBnB, **** or Trip Advisor as well as many other sites...we wanted to be close to the school and we are! in the old neighborhood of Firenze where the homes of Michelangelo's family and Verrazzano are just blocks away. with two people sharing expenses it is not bad, much cheaper than a hotel and we can cook, snack, lay around whenever we want as i am doing right now! when i get back anyone who wants to discuss doing this is welcome to come over and chat!
Old 04-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

You certainly do know how to travel, Dianne! Ciao!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-06-2018, 01:48 PM

What are you eating??
Old 04-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
What are you eating??
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess...Italian.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Sage

I was in Italy for 3 weeks about 10 years ago. I did whatever Rick Steves told me to do right down to what syle Rockport shoe to buy. I was a fish out of water. Rick Steves told me that when I get in a cab ask the driver how much the trip will cost.

Try it out [maybe].

When I asked he got insulted and said, "i don't know" and for the next 20 minutes he went into an Italian yelling frenzy, using both hands sometimes and all I could do was look out the window not knowing what would happen next. Now I think it's funny.

I want to go back.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:20 AM
Veteran member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess...Italian.
I'm sure you are right.

The great thing about that is our (U. S.) Italian food is definitely not their Italian!
In addition, northern Italian food is great.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Sage

we are in Eataly, after all....tonight had two cannelloni stuffed with meat and a contorno of grilled eggplant, zucchini, pepper and tomato! tomorrow the school is taking us to Pisa and Lucca by train....hope we can find the station!

Tags
experience, group, learning, italian, country

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.