Seeking Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default Seeking Recommendations

Would any of you singles suggest where I best rent in TV for a month's stay? Having enjoyed a lifestyle visit which turned out to be way too short I hope to come down for the month of October. My guess is a more or less central location, say between SL and SS might be the way to go. That way I would not have far to go to meet people around the squares. Too, I hope to try out the golf car lifestyle so hope to rent a furnished home having a golf car. At present I am undecided whether to fly to Orlando, take the shuttle to TV and use the golf car to get around. I could rent a car from Enterprise when needed for ventures outside TV. Alternatively I could drive from NM (1600) miles and have a car with me. How essential is a car to the TV lifestyle?

Please feel free to offer any suggestions you might have. I would greatly appreciate them! Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-27-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Sage
Default good ideas

your idea about location and having a golf cart is good but driving 1600 miles is certainly not necessary...would be less stressful to rent a car occasionally if you want to venture out of the bubble, but why would you? rentals should be plentiful for oct... in fact i can pm you a friend's number who often rents her home out....or check 4rentinthevillages.com or scrolldown to our real estate section on this site....hope you receive lots of other good advice..
Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Sage
Default Also check thevillagesdailysun.com & ****.com

Also check out the on line edition of www.thevillagesdailysun.com -- the classfied ads under "furnished homes for rent" and www.****.com.
Good luck with your search.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Sage

Thank you both for your kind tips. Right now I am away from home and the hard disk of my obsolete laptop which can not run the latest internet explorer crashed on me yesterday. Time for new hardware! I am in a public library writing this. After I return home in early June I would like to follow up with what recommendations I receive on this thread. And Chachacha, I would like your friend's number but I will not be able to get started on my final planning until I return home in early June.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Default Feedback

I rented a patio villa in August, 2010 in Woodbury and it "came" with a golf cart. I rented to figure out if I wanted to live in TV. I did fine without a car and actually enjoyed not having a car and depending on a golf cart.

I now live in TV in Buttonwood.

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Default Villa Rental

October is a great time to stay. Sent PM. Have a great time.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
KittyKat

Good luck in your search. FYI, Oct weather here can be in the 90's so pack accordingly. I stay up until 3am so if you need someone to pick you up at the Depot let me know(unless you're taking the other shuttle that drives you to your door).
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Default I didn't need a car

I rented in August, 2010 and moved to TV in January 2011. In August, I didn't have a car-relying on a golf cart for everything. I was fine. It was actually kinda nice not having a car.

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Sage

Hi again guys. Thank you for your ideas and referrals. Following Schaumberger's suggestion on this thread I found one on **** that suits my tastes as well as my needs. Although it was my first choice it was initially unavailable in October. I decided to wait and kept checking back. Patience and persistence paid off! Their October renter canceled so I took it. I can hardly wait for October to arrive!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Hi again guys. Thank you for your ideas and referrals. Following Schaumberger's suggestion on this thread I found one on **** that suits my tastes as well as my needs. Although it was my first choice it was initially unavailable in October. I decided to wait and kept checking back. Patience and persistence paid off! Their October renter canceled so I took it. I can hardly wait for October to arrive!
Glad to hear you got a rental.

I personnally would not drive 1,600 miles to TV to have a car. It probably would cost more than the plane ticket not to mention the effort invovled.

A golf cart that is the best option for getting around and you would be able to explore at a liesure pace. Renting a car for a day trip is the way to go.

Hope you enjoy your visit.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Sage

I considered driving on account of all the paraphenalia I could bring but the 3200 mile round trip at 14 mpg in my Touareg with premium unleaded at $4.00/gal + or - I am definitely flying. $300 - $400 to fly. Gasoline alone would run over $900 not to mention three days each way, tire wear, hotels, etc.

The home I am renting comes with a gas golf cart which I plan on using to immerse myself within the TV lifestyle. Since I do want to check out the surrounding areas I'll just rent a car from Enterprise now and then.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.