SINGLE WANNABE"S

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Default SINGLE WANNABE"S

So I live in Colorado visited tv 3 times, did the lifestyle thing once and have bought the TV thing hook line and sinker. I keep seeing people post about how they are trying to get to tv but cant sell or whatever. So I wonder, How many of us are there out there? Are you trying to start a new life like I am?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: SINGLE WANNABE"S

benj....... thanks for initiating this topic! YES, I'm a single wannabee and I've been hanging out here at TOTV for a couple of months. However, I have not visited TV yet; perhaps this fall or winter I'll make the journey from southern Oregon to Florida and do the lifestyle preview. I lived in Miami Florida for 40 years before retiring and moving "out west" for an adventure. I'm living in a small (2k pop.) rural town, 8 miles from Grants Pass, 11 miles from Medford, and 23 miles from Ashland. My old bones just can't get used to the long, dreary, frosty winters so I look forward to the time when I can relocate back to Florida and partake in the many social opportunities.

It has been quiet in this Singles Forum for the last couple of days and I'm hoping we don't get bumped out again. C'MON SINGLES............. SAY SOMETHING 040
Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe
benj....... thanks for initiating this topic! YES, I'm a single wannabee and I've been hanging out here at TOTV for a couple of months. However, I have not visited TV yet; perhaps this fall or winter I'll make the journey from southern Oregon to Florida and do the lifestyle preview. I lived in Miami Florida for 40 years before retiring and moving "out west" for an adventure. I'm living in a small (2k pop.) rural town, 8 miles from Grants Pass, 11 miles from Medford, and 23 miles from Ashland. My old bones just can't get used to the long, dreary, frosty winters so I look forward to the time when I can relocate back to Florida and partake in the many social opportunities.

It has been quiet in this Singles Forum for the last couple of days and I'm hoping we don't get bumped out again. C'MON SINGLES............. SAY SOMETHING 040
I visited TV when I rented a place in Ocala for 3 months back in 2006. I was referred to TV by the guy I rented from who actually lived in TV for 5 years. He told me how easy it would be for me to meet many single and widowed women in TV but my visits were limited in nature since I could not have access to all the amenities. But I did enjoy the strolls around Market Square and Sumpter Landing where I got a good feeling for the atmosphere. I sit up here, 10 miles north of Ohare in a Chicago suburb waiting patiently for my house to sell. I hope I don't have to spend another dismal winter here!!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Veteran member

Yeah moose ......... since we're all in the same boat - I'm pretending this it it:

The Villages Florida
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Gold member

CIBabe,

That looks like something I could handle while awaiting my relocation. If I get my house sold does that mean I get to walk the plank??

p.s. always enjoy looking at your photos and comments on the TOTV.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 PM

Geez, I hope thats not the vessel their Cruise is goin on!!! Reminds me of that movie "Papillon" where they try to cross the ocean in a raft!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

Glad y'all like my idea of "being in the same boat" and sailing is among my most treasured memories from living in Miami all those years. The sailboat pic was taken in 1979 while I was aboard another sailboat (a Watkins27) on Biscayne Bay.

One of my goals (wishes) is to sail the Florida waters again someday : I'm hoping there is a Sailing Club in TV 8)
Old 07-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Gold member

Hey Singles,

Any ideas of what will be among the first things you do when you get settled into being a resident of TV? Of course, meeting and greeting all TOTV members. After all, how can we forget how helpful and courteous all the folks of TOTV have been to we wannabees, both couples and singles!! But, after that, what activities will you check out first?

Me? I would like to participate in the "Sunshine" committee of the Singles Clubs. It is described as ...
"Our goal is to reach out and give our fellow members a show of kindness or a helping hand in time of need. Simple, thoughtful things such as a card that fits the occasion, or a home or hospital visit, driving them to and from the doctor or store, picking up medicine or groceries -- just letting them know that someone cares and is thinking about them."

Sounds pretty cool to me. Also, just about any of the sports activities from softball to tennis, and just about any thing else that can keep off the couch and out of bakeries. The various Singles clubs seem to have great participation by their members. To paraphrase ConeyIsBabe, we're all in this together.

What clubs, churches, and educational pursuits will you tend to join after you have unpacked your last box? Is there someone out there who can teach this single guy the fine art of line dancing?? ;D Just can't get the hang of it although, I must admit, by the time "happy hour" ends I'm usually dancing pretty well...perhaps, it's just my imagination as "The Temptations" said. :dontknow:

Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Veteran member

My sister and brother-in-law moved to TV a few years ago. I visited last year and fell in love with the place. I hope to relocate summer '09. I'll take my time "settling in" because I will be buying all new furniture, but won't do so all at once.

I plan to first enjoy evenings on the Squares, learning my way around TV, meet TOTVers, join some clubs. I'll have to determine what sports activities I want to join. I'll take some golf lessons and see if I can pick up the game. I'll play shuffleboard, and if I can find some volleyball or basketball teams, may get back into those games. I don't plan to initially join the singles clubs. I'll first see if I can find a "crew of characters" to be my friends/playmates. If unsuccessful doing it on my own, then I'll join the singles clubs. I will join other clubs (the Civil War is one interest), I'll definitely have an annual pass to Walt Disney World since I just love it. It'll be great living so close. I'll do some local touring around Florida.

There is a class where you can learn how to line dance. I think others have mentioned it. If you search "line dance" on this site, you'll probably find where it's discussed.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Veteran member

tkret......... great question......... one that should stimulate some responses from all the other single wannabees reading this forum, but who haven't yet posted!

I'm not very athletic and will not be playing golf or ball activities but as far as dancing goes, I always favored the slow-dance anyway. Photography, Computer, clubs for a start!

I have been single for a very long time, by choice, and have attended my share of "singles clubs" but have never mastered the art of walking into a room filled with strangers and making friends instantly! I would much rather participate in an activity that interests me. I would join the Fitness Center because I want access to an indoor swimming pool. I am anxious to take some Learning Center Classes - so many choices - art? Spanish? or French? :dontknow:

P.S. I sure do wish there is a sailing club ;D
Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe
tkret......... great question......... one that should stimulate some responses from all the other single wannabees reading this forum, but who haven't yet posted!

I'm not very athletic and will not be playing golf or ball activities but as far as dancing goes, I always favored the slow-dance anyway. Photography, Computer, clubs for a start!

I have been single for a very long time, by choice, and have attended my share of "singles clubs" but have never mastered the art of walking into a room filled with strangers and making friends instantly! I would much rather participate in an activity that interests me. I would join the Fitness Center because I want access to an indoor swimming pool. I am anxious to take some Learning Center Classes - so many choices - art? Spanish? or French? :dontknow:

P.S. I sure do wish there is a sailing club ;D
ConeyIsBabe,

two observations that I question....(1) from the sound of your postings I think that you would have NO problem making friends instantly. (2) Start a sailing club when you get here. I don't know the first thing about it but I would be willing to learn! Just call me Gilligan.

And you are quite correct about the Learning Center Classes... so many WONDERFUL choices. It will be an exciting day when we hear from you that you sold your home.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:02 AM
Veteran member

bestmickey........ I love your idea of a "crew of characters" to hang out when you become a new TV resident. Maybe you will invite me to tag along when I get there ???

tkret....... THANKS so much for your encouragement; I wish I had some of your optimism. I suspect you will be a TV resident way before me, so.... if you are still single by the time I get there :dontknow: .... save a seat for me !

P.S. Add the Scrabble Club & the Travel Club to my list of activities.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Gold member

Hi CIBabe
What the heck am I STILL doing on this site at this time of night? It's just so much fun and interesting to read the comments, advice, and humor of TOTV members.

Anyway, you stated that you suspect that I will be a TV resident way before you ... well, I may have something to share with you later this week. In addition, I will still be single and I WILL save a seat for you at Town Square. :beer2: And by the way, I love the little wink guy (or gal) in your message.

You stay positive and I'll continue to lift you up in prayer for a great blessing to come you way. It sounds like you have a beautiful home and there IS a savvy buyer out there who will recognize it, too.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I don't mean this meanly...I really don't...please forgive me if you take my question wrong...

But...I don't understand this thread's title....

What's a single wannabe?

I guess my question is....are you single or are you not or are you not single and want to be?

I'm confused...and btw...I'm not single and don't wannabe.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Gold member

Good question Brightspot01. The thread is found on the singles section of the Forum. Although anyone can participate it is mostly "attended" by single folk who are not, yet, Villagers but want to be. Hence, wannabees. It's mainly an attempt to assure future residents that there are activites in The Villages for single residents as well as couples.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.