Singles ??

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Sage
Default Re: Singles ??

JB'sMom..that really is some bad hair. 1rnfl Welcome to TOTV. You will find some pretty cool people on this site. As my real world friend, you'll be shocked to find that I'm considered a bit of a rabblerouser on this site. Who'd have guessed, huh?? ;D Welcome again, dear friend.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:46 PM

I am so disappointed....I have been looking forward to visiting TV this summer as a possible new home but I am a widow. I was so hoping this was a place where being single was not considered a disease! After reading your info I feel really let down. Are singles really looked upon as not wanted??? Being single is not always a choice..... My children live in three different states and I was hoping to relocate in Florida to begin a new life.

Please reply if I should look elsewhere for a new beginning....

Thanks for any info
Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

There are several singles clubs in The Villages that meet regularly and have activities for the whole month. A look at the club listings and in the recreational supplement of Thursday's Daily Sun has the listings. Under the recreation tab on The Villages web site they have that supplement in pdf format. With the number of members on TOTV increasing a singles forum might be ready to take off now.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Sage

Sam,

Truer words were never spoken regarding any one of us becomming single at any time.

I do believe there are support groups for widowed, and divorced ,I hope someone can tell you how to contact them.

Also I know a very special lady that holds a support class for singles. Im not sure if it is in session for the summer. Give her a call: Vera Coulson 352-259-3707

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

angel, I'm a single, have joined no singles clubs and am relatively busy with friends, neighbors, TOTVers. It really is more a matter of finding your interests and going from there.

There is no question that couples out number singles but they don't usually exclude the singles. I've gone to dinner with 1-4 couples, been the only single person in the group and was very much included. I play bridge and there is no problem being a single there, just find a partner and away we go. There's lots of line dancing in the squares, so dancing is not a problem. Even if you don't line dance, you can go to the dance floor alone, with a member of the opposite sex or member of the same sex. No one cares. There are many activities where couples go their separate ways -- the male might go play golf, the woman mah-jong. The one place that being single does seem to be a true negative is in peoples' homes. Couples seem to congregate together for dinner and a night of cards, etc. So, it pays to find singles with your interests.

Don't worry, being single doesn't exclude you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

angel:

This single, widowed male's perspective is, as Red said, that you make what you want of your status.

I hesitate to join any "singles" group for some slight fear that they're only match-making ploys! On the other hand, some of the groups have what sound to be interesting programs, where your singularity is not ever a problem!

Every now and then, when I go to some "social club's" function, I feel a little uncomfortable about joining a particular table because there's already a couple or two there - and maybe I'll be a fifth wheel. Usually, I shouldn't have worried.

Same holds true when I travel. Many, many travelers on land tours are couples. But, there's almost always at least one other single - though the couples are happy to have a single join them!

Bottom line: DO NOT BE AFRAID. Come join us here in TV. If nothing else you and Red and I can hang out!!!!!! :joke:

SWR
Old 06-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Hi, Angel,
Don't be discouraged from moving to TV -- you will just have to work harder when making friends and establishing your support network. BUT, there are many wonderful people here who do not care if you are "one" or "one of two."
Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

In 2002 I moved to TV from MA, had been single for 30+ years and retired from a successful career for thirty yrs in program management which I had retired from about ten years before the move South.

It took some time to get used to the social single life and altho I dated quite a bit, there was no "Mr Wonderful" that swept me off my feet. (Incurable romantic, I am.)

Upon moving to TV, not knowing anybody, I found the neighbors to be extremely friendly and socially embracing newbies as one of the gang in the hood. I attended their monthly meetings, played bocci, took line-dancing lessons, dated a few times but nothing "took."

When out of the blue, I happen to meet this guy Bill online. I had a profile placed in one of the internet singles website. He saw my profile and IMd me. We clicked while IMing and we met for dinner at Spanish Springs the next day. I immediately found my "Mr Wonderful." We really hit it off and from then on we were a twosome and married two years later.

Why wait two years to marry? We lived together for about a year and I would have never bothered to marry except for the fact that Bill, being a retired military man, had a fabulous health coverage which included spouses. My coverage was in MA and an HMO which FL frowns upon. Yes, we married for me to have his super duper health package.

We've been married for two years now and, after a period of adjustment, we both are two happy campers. He sure was worth waiting thirty years for! I had no intentions of ever marrying again after experiencing a very tumultous attempt at it.

I share this story with you singles to encourage you that you could possibly move here single, however, you never know when that Mr Wonderful will step into your life. And, if he doesn't show up, it's up to YOU to ensure happiness in all of the opportunities presented to you here in TV. There's so many activities that are not all couple oriented; go for it! If you don't enjoy TV, then it's YOUR fault.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 AM

Hello To All Singles in TV,
I too am planning to move to TV when my house sells up north.I have never been concerned about being single I can relate to almost anyone
single or married. I am sorry to hear about the singles forum being disco. I enjoyed reading it. It seems to me that there will be alot more singles when we all sell,but if we stick together I feel we can start something up again. Have faith,
jmemc
Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Shouldn't this kind of discussion be taking place in the Singles board?
;D ;D ;D

Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Hey, Tony ............ :-*

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you, Tony!!! 040

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

THANKS tony; perhaps it would be appropriate to move this thread over to its new home???? :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM

I'm also a single TV wannabe. I hope to be in TV in about 1-1/2 yrs. I noticed that very few singles post on the singles site. I'm not sure why, but I know there are many single villagers. I hope now that the singles forum has been reinstated, we will hear from more singles. I know you are out there!! I would love to hear more about your experiences as a single in TV.

I have visited TV twice and have found EVERYONE very friendly! I wish I had been there for TOTV luncheon. It would be nice to know some people before moving there! TOTV is a great place to meet people! Thank you all! I've learned so much! Can't wait to be there!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

kit9240........ YES, I agree with you about making friends before even moving to TV. This Forum could be a great resource for doing just that ;D

To me (somewhat on the shy side) it is so daunting to walk into a singles meeting attended by many, many people who mostly know each other and are involved in their own conversations, etc. Sometimes there is a "welcome table" and some people are open to accepting a newbie BUT it still is a daunting event.

It would be very interesting to hear from people who already belong to some of the TV Singles Clubs.... and tell us about their recent activities, trips, experiences, etc.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.