To the SINGLES out there in TOTV land...May I have your attention?

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
As Joe said, some of us don't qualify for Single Baby Boomers.. I know I don't!!
Then join the Sumter Singles. This club is for the elder singles.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

I'm wondering why all you singles don't join the Single Baby Boomers? There are over 600 in the club. They have activities everyday. Why swim against the stream or try to reinvent the WHEEL?
You are not single, are you?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I'm wondering why all you singles don't join the Single Baby Boomers? There are over 600 in the club. They have activities everyday. Why swim against the stream or try to reinvent the WHEEL?

You are not single, are you?
Yes I am. Belong to SBB like 599 others. Many many activities everyday.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

Perhaps some people prefer socializing in smaller groups.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Sage
Default Who knew?

If not for the previous posters, I could not have imagined there would be single people who prefer to hang out with married people who would NOT be ok with single people hanging out with single people.
I just never thought of that.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 03-13-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

And how is this working for all of you. From this thread, maybe not so well.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Yes I am. Belong to SBB like 599 others. Many many activities everyday.
Well, yeah, but then, there are my real friends. That's different.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Sage

yes, those on this forum generally prefer to socialize in small groups at each other's homes or to attend some function together with friends. no one checks the schedule of what else is going on in the villages before inviting their friends over...those who prefer to socialize with married friends are totally free to do so and of course all of us have married friends as well, but this forum is for singles who want to socialize with other singles and who want to offer a welcome to the newcomers who come here alone and need friends, as we all have done at one time or another. no one is forced to read this forum or to participate in our activities. SO BUG OFF!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
see following post....
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Down sized, it would be nice to meet you personally and join the big group opportunities! Let me know when your next group meeting will happen, and contact me by pm anytime. There are many activities, especially those outdoors, that I would enjoy sharing with singles. Thanks for posting your connection with singles groups so freely.
Kitty
Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Wow! I don't know which post I feel obligated to respond to first. But, I will say that I'm thrilled that, if nothing else, there is some debate going on. I love it, whether I agree with the comments or not.

As to why, as singles, we seek out our own company on occasion...Let's face it, the Villages is a couples oriented community. As singles we are definitely in the minority. So, there are times when we would like to socialize with other singles who have the same issues as we do.

The Meet and Greet group is absolutely not geared toward match making. To the contrary. We are just a bunch of single people who would rather hang out together, as friends, to enjoy the activities that are here in the Villages. When you're a couple you always have someone to go with. As a single, it's not easy to walk into any place alone. Through this group, I have been able to call a friend to go with me and if it happens to be a male friend it's with no strings attached. It's wonderful to have that ability. This is especially true for the new singles to the Villages.

As to why these get togethers are aimed at the single community, again, we are hoping to increase our circle of single friends for the very reasons I mentioned. Heaven knows there are a gazillion events and social activities that couples get to enjoy that we aren't comfortable attending alone...

In regard to the comments about why we don't just join the organized single groups, I don't even understand the point that's being made. For some of us any club with 600 members doesn't provide us with the kind of intimate (and by that I mean small) setting, that makes it easier to get to know each other. That being said, most of us belong to the Meet and Greet unclub, as well as the Baby Boomers, Sumter Singles or the Village Singles. Each provides something different.

As for why this party happened to be scheduled on the same night as the TOTV is set to meet, come one...there are always events happening simultaneously in the Villages. In the case of Karen's party, it was scheduled over a month ago.

I think that covers my point counter point...only an opinion, mind you, but isn't it great that we all have one.

P.S. If any married Villager's want to come to our parties - though I can't imagine why you would - you'd be welcome. I'm sure one of your single friends will give you the secret handshake to get in.

Katie
Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Platinum member

Kitty and Cha have a great point - these are all posted in the Singles Forum.

Married people really have no need to read that at all. There are plenty of couples-only ("Partner required" dancing, sports events, etc.) events that singles can't attend. And plenty of other Forums and threads on TOTV for non-single people to read.

I am encouraged to see the coming together of single people on TOTV, and don't want to see it unnecessarily discouraged by married people. Seriously!?!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 AM

I so rarely post on TOTV, HOWEVER, are you kidding me?!?!?! First of all, MARRIED FOLK, what are you doing reading the singles' threads? Bored are you? Or unhappy? Or just nosey? To all those who posted sharing info on other singles groups, Baby Boomers, etc., I learned of those groups when I first moved here less than a year ago. However, I thought then and still do that gatherings of 20 or so people was also a nice way of getting to know other singles and chose to go that route rather than groups of 600+. As for conflicting dates, this is absolutely laughable.....are we expected to change our birthdays so as not to conflict with the Underwater Basket Weavers get-together??? There are so many activities & social events here in the Villages that by the time I (we) would clear a date, we'd be too old to party!! To the person who made the comment about "hooking up", I personally rate you as either (1) extremely stupid, (2) extremely naive, or (3) down right ugly!!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Since I was the one who started the brouhaha, here's my take. Conflict with Villages' events? No problem -- do what you want. But to schedule an event that directly conflicts with what is pretty much a TOTV event makes no sense. It forces your friends to choose or, like Joe, rush from one to the other. That, to me, is not what you do (and since the dance get together is at a rec center, we all know when it is ahead of time but the dancing was posted first). It wouldn't have been that hard to schedule it for the following weekend or, given that the majority are retired, to actually celebrate on St. Paddy's Day itself.

I do believe that for some like Kitty, it is a way to make single friends, to have things to do together. However, I'm seeing more and more comments that imply the desire to hook up. And I am definitely not stupid nor naive. I'd like to think I'm not ugly, but whatever.

What I would have liked to see is that things like game parties would be open to all non-couples. So, if someone is married but their spouse hates games, they would feel as welcome as a single.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM
Platinum member

Wow. I just don't see what you see, period. And I've been there. You can take my word or not.

Here's an idea - when all of you TOTV married people schedule your next small gathering, make a point of inviting TOTV singles.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.