Singles and seasonal neighborhoods

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2021, 01:19 AM
Default Singles and seasonal neighborhoods

I'm a 65 year old single retired RN and am hoping to move full time to the Villages at the end of next summer. Since I will be alone having full time neighbors is high on my list of things I am looking for. I enjoy my friends who are not right around the corner too but I have also always enjoyed my neighbors and impromptu block parties, potlucks or even just simple morning coffee with a few neighbors without having to travel every time for some simple last minute socialization. I don't want to find myself all alone in the middle of a bunch of empty homes during the "off" season when the snowbirds return to their northern homes. Plus for me at least it is comforting to know that there are neighbors nearby to call in the event of an emergency or hearing a "bump in the night" ) Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the types of neighborhoods to avoid to prevent finding myself in a village that caters more to seasonal rather than full time residents? Or conversely does anyone have any suggestions of very welcoming and friendly neighborhoods that I may want to look at? At this time I am leaning towards the areas around Sumter Lake, I love the lake and the boardwalk views but I am open to other suggestions...I have however ruled out Marion and the far southern villages since I really love the idea of nightly music and dancing at the squares and Marion and the new builds are too far away from the squares. Thanks in advance for your time and am looking forward to moving and my next new adventure in life...Nancy
Old 07-02-2021, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSEBUD99 View Post
I'm a 65 year old single retired RN and am hoping to move full time to the Villages at the end of next summer. Since I will be alone having full time neighbors is high on my list of things I am looking for. I enjoy my friends who are not right around the corner too but I have also always enjoyed my neighbors and impromptu block parties, potlucks or even just simple morning coffee with a few neighbors without having to travel every time for some simple last minute socialization. I don't want to find myself all alone in the middle of a bunch of empty homes during the "off" season when the snowbirds return to their northern homes. Plus for me at least it is comforting to know that there are neighbors nearby to call in the event of an emergency or hearing a "bump in the night" ) Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the types of neighborhoods to avoid to prevent finding myself in a village that caters more to seasonal rather than full time residents? Or conversely does anyone have any suggestions of very welcoming and friendly neighborhoods that I may want to look at? At this time I am leaning towards the areas around Sumter Lake, I love the lake and the boardwalk views but I am open to other suggestions...I have however ruled out Marion and the far southern villages since I really love the idea of nightly music and dancing at the squares and Marion and the new builds are too far away from the squares. Thanks in advance for your time and am looking forward to moving and my next new adventure in life...Nancy
Welcome to such a fun life, even if you do choose a neighborhood that has a lot of snowbirds. New neighborhoods historically are not filled with full time residents, as are the homes that are less expensive. Also areas that have more rentals have fewer people for "the long haul".

New neighborhoods frequently have snowbirds waiting to move full time. There will always be somewhat of a mix. But there is another issue...

Not all people who live here have the same experiences you hope for. Some folks have moved from areas that didn't know their neighbors and they may continue with that feeling. I expected the "OHIO EXPERIENCE" and got a new experience of people from all kinds of socialization backgrounds. Nevertheless, if you look for friendly, you usually get friendly back. I did not wait to be invited. I sent notes around to the neighbors when we were settled a bit and invited them to our house for coffee and donuts.

I want to welcome you home. I hope you are blessed with wonderful friends and neighbors.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 AM

An early welcome to The Villages.

As far as types of homes, the urban legend (TV legend?) is that courtyard villas in particular attract snowbirds. I happen to live in one such neighborhood (in Marion county, 30 minutes by golf cart to Spanish Springs), and it does get quieter in the summer (though the virus has thrown things off for, it seems, two years running). But, when things open up, there are social events happening (and several driveway concerts in our area over the past year or so).
Old 07-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Once you know the name of the street where you find a house you are interested in - go to the County Tax Appraiser website and do a property search on that street - you will see whether the owner is a full-time owner or has an out-of-state mailing address. That should be your first clue that they are snowbirds and/or the house is a rental property.

Sumter County Tax Appraiser Record Search : Sumter County Property Appraiser

Old 07-02-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Somewhat difficult to recommend specific places since you are not moving until "next" summer. However, the areas closer to Lake Sumter are well established. Have you visited yet? Plenty of time to do your research.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

We bought in 2013 in the most southern part of the LSL section, just north of 466A. That area is extremely convenient to golf courses, rec centers, shopping, restaurants, and pools — already there.

We bought a house built in 2007 and we were graciously welcomed and invited to join neighborhood get-togethers.

I specifically did not want a new neighborhood — for a couple of reasons. The main one being that I wanted most of my neighbors to be full-time — even though we would be going back and forth, continuing to own in Ohio, too.

We bought on a street of designer homes, mostly not snowbirds, and only one rental.

The other reason I did not want a new home is that I did not want to deal with the hassles of doing upgrades. I wanted a house that had good landscaping underway, had been well-maintained, with some upgrades, and done in a style that fit me. The house showed up, just when we had decided to forget about buying.

Back home, we have done a lot of upgrades to various houses we have owned, some upgrades were major. We know our contractors there. But in TV, I did not want the contractor and landscaper hassles I have read so much about here on TOTV. And being part-time in TV would make contractor-timing more difficult.

Being a hometown Ohio girl has been really helpful in projects-past. But in TV, I would be a fish out of water when trying to take on any major projects.

In Ohio, I get calls from friends and neighbors for contractor recommendations. It has been said to me, “You always know a guy.” That is true. We know what it takes to do home upgrades, big and small, and we like doing and having things done to our houses — but not a thousand miles from back home. . . but I digress. . .so anyway, back to the topic of neighborhoods. . .

It is mostly the luck of the draw with neighbors. You can do some of the things suggested in previous posts that can help you narrow your focus though.

Some of the LSL area villages are beginning to turn over. It is possible that you would not be the only new kid on the block. It is also possible that you would be widely welcomed by longtime neighbors who are happy to see new people moving in.

Also, at the age of 65, you would probably find others close to your age in an established neighborhood — and being a retired nurse might get you more interaction than you expect — — with lots of questions maybe.

And if I may be so straightforward. . .you are a single nurse, retired. . .makes me wonder if you have ever heard about ol’ guys who are looking for “a nurse with a purse.” Be careful.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-02-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

First home on TV was a new villa. Our street 80% were full time some left for summers, Most just retired average age mid sixties. Driveway parties weekly.

Second home, new cottage, about 80% full time, those that were renting were long term. About 1/3 left for summer months, most Newly retirees, or close to retirement, but working from home. Weekly gathering usually with entertainment.

Third home, preowned designer, all but 2 homes were original owners of about 7 to 10 plus years. Very close knit, street, with monthly driveway gathering. As a second owner, of 7 years, our home was still referred to the deceased original owners. Average age mid eighties, with nineties sprinkled in.

Next home new, younger neighbors, lots of interaction. Outdoor running, biking groups, gatherings weekly, more activities within neighbors. Full time about half, some moving from other areas of TV. Ages from mid 50s to late 60s.

So OP depending on where you move your experience maybe a complete 360 from other areas. Renting for awhile in different areas may give you different neighbor perspective. Good Luck
Old 07-03-2021, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

Dear Nancy, sounds like you have an excellent plan already put in place! You will have no problem finding " company " in the summer. A wonderful women like yourself will need to distinguish between the Land sharks and the truly good men. I prefer a short cart ride to the Squares! Welcome to the Right place to transition.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Default Hi Nancy,

Quote:
Hi Nancy,
Im Fran, I am an RN also , single also, and moving to the villages on 9/1. to the village of rio grande. it is 5 minutes from the hospital, i am 62 and may still work although i am not sure. i am going to rent for a year and see where i hang out and then decide if i want to stay in that area or switch to another. it looks like its close to spanish spring square and only 10 minutes from lake sumter. feel free to keep in touch, my email is franhoh@comcast.net. I am from NJ where are you from? I never heard of nurse with a purse did you? LOL. Take care
Fran
Old 07-06-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franapn View Post
Hi Nancy,
Im Fran, I am an RN also , single also, and moving to the villages on 9/1. to the village of rio grande. it is 5 minutes from the hospital, i am 62 and may still work although i am not sure. i am going to rent for a year and see where i hang out and then decide if i want to stay in that area or switch to another. it looks like its close to spanish spring square and only 10 minutes from lake sumter. feel free to keep in touch, my email is franhoh@comcast.net. I am from NJ where are you from? I never heard of nurse with a purse did you? LOL. Take care
Fran
Hi Fran!! Yeah, my first TV friend!! Actually I did hear of nurse with a purse when I moved to Nashville from one of my co-workers...apparently some men are the male version of gold diggers and see nurses as a good money target...I dare them to try that with me...my daddy didn't raise a fool and I have a mouse trap waiting for any fella who mistakes my kindness for stupidity sitting poised in that pretty little Nurse's purse of mine!! Seems you are thinking along the same lines as I am as I too plan to rent before I buy so I can get an actual feel for the various villages...I am pretty sure I am fixed on being close to a Town Square but apart from that I am open and I want to downsize...right now I am in a 3 story home on 2 acres in a suburb just outside of Nashville and that is a lot of house to maintain for just one person! Especially if that one person is a retired nurse with a nurse's bad back! Just this forum has been really encouraging seeing people responding with such helpful posts...I think we are making a great decision moving to the Villages! I will keep in touch via email, thank you for providing yours and I will shoot you an email a bit later on...Have a great day!
Old 07-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Default Thank you everyone

I have posted 2 replies thanking folks for their responses and for some reason I don't see those posts, so in the event I did something wrong I just wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate your helpful responses!
Old 07-06-2021, 01:07 PM
Talking

Quote:
All the neighborhoods are friendly and mixed w seasonal and year round residence. Don't fret, its very very different here , very different. All neighborhoods are "active" meaning they have all sorts of activities "for the neighborhood" Its almost like the l950's here. You will feel welcome and included... now being single, there are lots and lots of single groups, to join and meet like people. Lots ! We have 3,000 different things to do here, be as active as you wish or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, neighbors, full, suggestions, neighborhoods

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.