Thinking of moving to TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Chachacha, thank you for your warm message. I am not familiar with how to use TOTV yet, so I don't know how to send a private message to Kate Rogers. I will send you a private message with my email. Would you be so kind to forward to her please. Thank you and look forward to meeting you all.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage

yes, i forwarded it but you just have to write KateRogers in the address line and it will work just like mine did there are a lot of kates!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 PM

I've found the women in my neighborhood to be gossipy, bored, jealous and petty. In my particular neighborhood they dislike anyone younger than them and congregate with one another to the exclusion of anyone who refuses to gossip with them or they feel they can't manipulate. They have way too much time on their hands and try to make trouble for the ones they don't like. For example, someone called Community Standards to report a pergola we had put in, even though it was put in under code and approved. Of course when confronted, they all denied calling. Cowards. Another neighbor called surveyors instead of talking to us to report an encroachment onto their property and then blamed us for the mistake. When the landscaping guy asked why she didn't talk to us about it first, she yelled, "I don't talk to anyone." Liar. She just doesn't talk to us. We had the encroachment fixed before we even received a letter but knew from the flags in the yard and then eyeballing the mistake that there was a mistake on the part of the landscaping company. It was no big deal, but THE ENTIRE neighborhood had to come over and stand there and gawk at the area and proceed to whisper about it. Like we did something wrong on purpose to her. Geez. All these problems started on the day I decided I'd had enough of the neighborhood narcissist and put her in her place about her passive aggressiveness towards me. Now, I'm the bad guy and she has had the ENTIRE neighborhood exclude us on her behalf. They have become her flying monkeys without their knowledge. I know high schoolers more mature than these people.

My advice to you: If you do move here, rent first. I wish we would have done that first. Second, tell NO ONE anything you don't want repeated or used against you later. Third, find out who your neighborhood narcissist is and then RUN THE OTHER WAY. Too bad I didn't heed my own inner voice and avoid her the second she knocked on my door every morning at 9am the second we moved in. She wasn't trying to get to know me, she was collecting information to go talk about me later. I've learned now to never second guess my gut in a feeling like that again. Live and learn. And just so you know, I've talked to other women that were here alone that said they were given a hard time merely because they were the single one in the neighborhood. They said, apparently if you are single, they think you want their big, fat, balding husbands... LOL! :P

Even before all the issues with the neighbors, let's be honest... you are in the middle of a BIG COW PASTURE here with little to do other than line dance and drink at the squares. Not our bag. Other issues I have are: You will be hard pressed to find any salon that does fashionable haircuts/color, I had to go to Orlando. Also, get used to driving to Orlando, an hour away to do anything even remotely different than hanging out at the square. Our neighborhood is asleep by 6pm. Boring. The clothes shopping here is geared towards seniors even at Belk's, TJMaxx and Marshall's. The restaurants here leave a lot to be desired. And just the mere fact that most everyone here is bored and looking for excitement is exhausting. Proceed with caution. I can NOT wait to move the hell out of here. My husband calls it the "open-aired nursing home." LOL! It's a great place to visit for a week's vacation. We don't want to live here.
Good luck. I wish you the best.
Robin
Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Donnelly View Post
I've found the women in my neighborhood to be gossipy, bored, jealous and petty. In my particular neighborhood they dislike anyone younger than them and congregate with one another to the exclusion of anyone who refuses to gossip with them or they feel they can't manipulate. They have way too much time on their hands and try to make trouble for the ones they don't like. For example, someone called Community Standards to report a pergola we had put in, even though it was put in under code and approved. Of course when confronted, they all denied calling. Cowards. Another neighbor called surveyors instead of talking to us to report an encroachment onto their property and then blamed us for the mistake. When the landscaping guy asked why she didn't talk to us about it first, she yelled, "I don't talk to anyone." Liar. She just doesn't talk to us. We had the encroachment fixed before we even received a letter but knew from the flags in the yard and then eyeballing the mistake that there was a mistake on the part of the landscaping company. It was no big deal, but THE ENTIRE neighborhood had to come over and stand there and gawk at the area and proceed to whisper about it. Like we did something wrong on purpose to her. Geez. All these problems started on the day I decided I'd had enough of the neighborhood narcissist and put her in her place about her passive aggressiveness towards me. Now, I'm the bad guy and she has had the ENTIRE neighborhood exclude us on her behalf. They have become her flying monkeys without their knowledge. I know high schoolers more mature than these people.

My advice to you: If you do move here, rent first. I wish we would have done that first. Second, tell NO ONE anything you don't want repeated or used against you later. Third, find out who your neighborhood narcissist is and then RUN THE OTHER WAY. Too bad I didn't heed my own inner voice and avoid her the second she knocked on my door every morning at 9am the second we moved in. She wasn't trying to get to know me, she was collecting information to go talk about me later. I've learned now to never second guess my gut in a feeling like that again. Live and learn. And just so you know, I've talked to other women that were here alone that said they were given a hard time merely because they were the single one in the neighborhood. They said, apparently if you are single, they think you want their big, fat, balding husbands... LOL! :P

Even before all the issues with the neighbors, let's be honest... you are in the middle of a BIG COW PASTURE here with little to do other than line dance and drink at the squares. Not our bag. Other issues I have are: You will be hard pressed to find any salon that does fashionable haircuts/color, I had to go to Orlando. Also, get used to driving to Orlando, an hour away to do anything even remotely different than hanging out at the square. Our neighborhood is asleep by 6pm. Boring. The clothes shopping here is geared towards seniors even at Belk's, TJMaxx and Marshall's. The restaurants here leave a lot to be desired. And just the mere fact that most everyone here is bored and looking for excitement is exhausting. Proceed with caution. I can NOT wait to move the hell out of here. My husband calls it the "open-aired nursing home." LOL! It's a great place to visit for a week's vacation. We don't want to live here.

Robin

Does your house have a view ? We're looking for a change too. [emoji51]
Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 PM

Thank you for your advice and perspective. Fortunately, I go to Hair Cuttery. But, very interesting unfortunate experience you shared. Yes, most people are retired and have a lot of time to either enjoy their lives or making other's live miserable. But, you look pretty young on your profile picture and they still dislike you? What about race? I am Asian. I get along with people as long as they do not discriminate me. I know that TV is not diverse, but I do not worry much about that. Should I? Any warning for me?

I would hate to be you in that neighborhood too. I heard that some people buy new homes to start their own gang. Is it cliquey there, or very cliquey? I hear so many happy tells and I just want to be happy at the Adult Disneyland too. Should I really knock on the doors to see if they may like me before I write a sale contract?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
The area near Brownwood would be conducive to meeting people in your age group. There's also the Baby Boomer Club.

Buy a map to see all of the villages as this is a big place. Call the sales office and have them send you one for $5.

Don't get hung up on a number as my friends are 15 years younger than I am and I can run circles around them.

You owe it to yourself to come and check it out!
I would assume the Baby Boomer Club is for baby boomers. 1946-1964. Tracy is 52. She is not a boomer. Just sayin'...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Sage
Default There You Are

my advice to Robin would be: "Wherever you go, there YOU are." of course the villages is not for everyone but Robin seems to have so many negative remarks that it reflects also on her own personality. if someone cannot find interesting things to do with over 400 clubs to join, volunteer opportunities, athletic activities, theatre and music venues, it seems to me it is a personal problem. of course if there is a really large age difference it may just not be fun to do activities with a bunch of "oldies" i can understand that. the advice to rent first is sound, as is the meeting of prospective neighbors before buying, but there is never a guarantee. i have lovely neighbors, but most of my real friends are my fellow singles with whom i spend most of my time. would be very interested in your observations after your visit.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Sage

If Robin and her husband are in good health they are just the right age to sell out and go have an adventure somewhere. Although I was somewhat older, that's what we did and, in retrospect, it was the most interesting and best thing to do. There's plenty of time left after that to settle down in a retirement community.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Donnelly View Post

Robin

So sorry for your experiences. It's a shame to have to feel so much negativity.

In my opinion The Villages (and, in fact, The World) is filled with interesting, kind, caring people. If you can not find one, then Be One ... because like attracts like.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:35 PM

I am a very hopeful person, and I know that everyone makes their own happiness. It is sad to hear of the difficulties that some may have, but isn't that everywhere we go? Are some people petty, jr highish? yes, but others can make you laugh, be loving and kind. I am looking to find some excitement, some friends, and a lot of laughs; plus keep myself active, to live a lot! The Villages probably have cliques, and snotty people, however I bet they also have incredible volunteers, helpful neighbors, insightful discussions, and true friendships...just my two cents...and I haven't even rented/lived there yet...I will be there in 2 wks One month of renting, hoping to get a feel for area...
Old 03-17-2017, 11:52 PM
Sage
Default Don't forget....

Don't forget, Tracy, i am saving a ticket for you for the Lake Miona Theatre murder mystery, Amber for Anna....we must meet before then so you can begin making friends immediately
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

I recommend renting or buying south of 466a as the residents are mostly younger than the established neighborhoods. Also, this singles group is only for people south of 466A, Single Boomers South - Home and tend to be younger than the others. But join them all as they have difference activities to chose from.
I rented for 2 years before buying, I used The Villages rental dept., Homes for rent in The Villages Florida - Pet friendly homes for rent | Home Property Management
Most neighborhoods are good. Funny, many of them say theirs is the best one.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
So sorry for your experiences. It's a shame to have to feel so much negativity.

In my opinion The Villages (and, in fact, The World) is filled with interesting, kind, caring people.

If you can not find one, then Be One ... because like attracts like.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
Excellent advice!

While TV is no different (in some respects) from the rest of the country in regards to dealing with negative, selfish people who are so insecure that they need to feel part of a clan/clique, at least the size of here and the infusion of younger residents gives one hope...that you'll find a few friends who aren't like that.

I don't even care anymore, when the nosy/nasty neighbors passive-aggressively call us "The Kids"...as I know it is their own state of being miserable that drives it.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 03-26-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Excellent advice!

While TV is no different (in some respects) from the rest of the country in regards to dealing with negative, selfish people who are so insecure that they need to feel part of a clan/clique, at least the size of here and the infusion of younger residents gives one hope...that you'll find a few friends who aren't like that.

I don't even care anymore, when the nosy/nasty neighbors passive-aggressively call us "The Kids"...as I know it is their own state of being miserable that drives it.

Omigoodness. You are young.

Too.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Default Reply to new

Hi, I can answer many questions I work in all the areas of the Villages and each is different in it'self. First I would like to address your age. There is quite a number of people currently moving here in their lower 50's. I would first ask a realtor where they are moving to. 2nd. There are several parts of The Villages where people purchase and move rapidly that would be Spanish Springs. BUT I do need to tell you, if you move between 466 and 466A Sumter Landing is square used to be as grand as Spanish Springs, now it is mostly business offices and only restaurants. Not the same as it was. Second if you are going to move into a Vella and you think you will do your best to stay put do check Brown Wood. Now...... as far as someone not clicking with their neighbors.. that is one of two things, The head of many of the organizations like the woman's clubs in the subs may feel inferior. Or you have moved to an area where it is not age appropriate. Seeing that Spanish Springs was the first to be established it is the first to age in population and they are less active. It is also one of the most busiest for flipping homes and moving on. There are personality traits in different areas as well so if your interested please contact me. ettesisters@yahoo.com. One of the best areas is Spanish Springs for events, second is between the two 466's and they are neighborly friendly as far as groups and gatherings. Brownwood is very very high class, and do reciprocate so have some money!.
Closed Thread

Tags
thoughts, younger, age, community, meet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.