Thinking of moving to TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,290 Times in 2,040 Posts

I moved here from Palm Harbor, FL., in 2005 with my parents at aged 46. 58 now. It all depends on your neighbors IMHO. We have for the most part great ones. I have known people to move a few times here in the Villages before finding the right fit. I do miss Palm Harbor once in a while though especially all the kids and teens.

Just ignore the negative people and have a positive attitude and if you are of a certain persuasion as far as politics is concerned keep quiet and just listen to people for a while.

And check out Doggie Doo Run Run if you have a pooch. There are people there of many various ages and I know of several solid relationships coming out of friendships made there. Scott and Laura are very good owners/managers. They do have a little prejudice against pit bulls and/or pit bull mixes but they are probably worried about insurance issues. Doggie Doo Run Run is up CR101 near the intersection of CR104 and CR101. About a mile north of the Southern Trace Shopping Center which is on CR466.

If I encounter some of these unhappy campers here in the Villages I just try to be friendly and if they are known to me to be not worth that effort there are many many more happy people here in the Villages of all ages to socialize with in some way.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Omigoodness. You are young.

Too.
Not young...just not really old.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:44 PM

I did not know that the residence can be less than 55 years old (someone mentioned 48). I read a book call "Leisureville", by Andrew Bleachman. Is the ebook pretty much the same?

I am 55 and seriously considering moving to TV for activities and friends. I have worked hard for many years. I want to play for a while. When I get bored with playing, I may do part time non stress job, haha, to meet people. I am hoping to go for a week or two at the end of April or early May. I hope to meet everyone there. Will let you know again.
Can't wait!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,290 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2009 View Post
I did not know that the residence can be less than 55 years old (someone mentioned 48). I read a book call "Leisureville", by Andrew Bleachman. Is the ebook pretty much the same?

I am 55 and seriously considering moving to TV for activities and friends. I have worked hard for many years. I want to play for a while. When I get bored with playing, I may do part time non stress job, haha, to meet people. I am hoping to go for a week or two at the end of April or early May. I hope to meet everyone there. Will let you know again.
Can't wait!
I did not find much of that book accurate except maybe for .05 percent of the population here. One in twenty or so if that. Most of us are rather boring except maybe in the bedroom with life long or serious companions. There are some swingers of box sexes.

His book was accurate in some areas.

One owner usually is 55 or over.... The rest of the family just needs to be 18 or over. And I have heard of couples where neither is over 55. Not sure how they arranged that.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,582 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2009 View Post

Can't wait!
A percentage in TV does not have to be 55. Last I heard we are still way under. Our oldest is coming to buy a home here, his village rep knows he is only 46. We have several neighbors that are in their late 40's and very early 50's and are very happy here. As they put it this lifestyle will afford them a long and happy life
Old 03-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,506 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
A percentage in TV does not have to be 55. Last I heard we are still way under. Our oldest is coming to buy a home here, his village rep knows he is only 46. We have several neighbors that are in their late 40's and very early 50's and are very happy here. As they put it this lifestyle will afford them a long and happy life
Although in my 60's, I still find some of the older people...to be quite resentful.

Go figure.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,582 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Although in my 60's, I still find some of the older people...to be quite resentful.

Go figure.
We moved from our first neighborhood for that reason, snide comments at the pool and mail box. Even had a neighbor who came to every harass us every couple of days about our yard, trees, car and our driveway pretty much anything that she could think of. She was older her husband left her and apparently we became her target pet.

She even came down when my parents were in and told them what a horrible owners we were , we bought the house and never came back.and that they should never rent from us. Told my Mom she always had to have our lawn mowed, our trees trimmed and our house washed and pay for it out of her pocket. Yep that was fun, we don't live there anymore. That was just messed up. We do love where we are now it just sometimes takes time.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Robin Donnelly;1370679]I've found the women in my neighborhood to be gossipy, bored, jealous and petty. In my particular neighborhood they dislike anyone younger than them and congregate with one another to the exclusion of anyone who refuses to gossip with them or they feel they can't manipulate. They have way too much time on their hands and try to make trouble for the ones they don't like. For example, someone called Community Standards to report a pergola we had put in, even though it was put in under code and approved. Of course when confronted, they all denied calling. Cowards. Another neighbor called surveyors instead of talking to us to report an encroachment onto their property and then blamed us for the mistake. When the landscaping guy asked why she didn't talk to us about it first, she yelled, "I don't talk to anyone." Liar. She just doesn't talk to us. We had the encroachment fixed before we even received a letter but knew from the flags in the yard and then eyeballing the mistake that there was a mistake on the part of the landscaping company. It was no big deal, but THE ENTIRE neighborhood had to come over and stand there and gawk at the area and proceed to whisper about it. Like we did something wrong on purpose to her. Geez. All these problems started on the day I decided I'd had enough of the neighborhood narcissist and put her in her place about her passive aggressiveness towards me. Now, I'm the bad guy and she has had the ENTIRE neighborhood exclude us on her behalf. They have become her flying monkeys without their knowledge. I know high schoolers more mature than these people.

"You reap what you sow!" This woman is delusional. The neighborhood she is referring to is comprised of friendly, caring and nurturing people. We were the last to move into the neighborhood and they were the only ones that never bothered to introduce themselves or welcome us.

We all had a fabulous going away party for them....unfortunately they missed it as they were already gone.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:51 PM

"WOW! perfect home, Two story foyer, formal living/dining rooms, gourmet kitchen granite & island with seatings, grand family rm with fireplace, 1st Fl office, Hardwoods on 1st and 2nd floor. Master bedroom suite with luxury bath, spacious bedrooms, finished lower level rec rm & bedroom,Screened porch, deck & more! Many updates & upgrades throughout, Solar System. A must to see! Won't last long"

Thanks for the info. May I ask what village is it?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:32 AM

I read about a new club that was formed for "Under 60". A way to meet others in similar age bracket. There are single groups and clubs as well.
We've been renting here for 5 years during the winter months. TV has everything I enjoy doing and more. Renting is a good way to start but does take time to navigate and learn the ropes.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You wouldn't think you would find age bias in an over fifty-five community.

People are people, some are narrow minded, inflexible, and critical in their twenties. I believe it has more to do with the personality they were born with rather than their age.

Some people are interesting, fun, witty, good at enjoying others all of their lives. You who want to be only with under sixty are missing out. But hey...plenty aren't. This is a big community.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-03-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 AM

I am in town for month of April, looking at areas, houses and meeting new friends! So look forward to this month of discovery Hope to meet everyone!
Starting my search on homes!!
Tracy
Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Tracy welcome to TV. What area are you staying? You will love it here. Make sure to get in as many activities as you can & talk to people at the rec centers. Have fun with your new discovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage

anyone who wants to meet Tracy just show up tonight (Wed) at six pm at the clock at Lake Sumter Landing....a few newbies coming
Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM

The further north you go the older people get. I have heard south of 466A is younger. Villas in the south of the villages might be younger than homes but I don't know.
Closed Thread

Tags
thoughts, younger, age, community, meet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.