Neighborhood League questions

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Evaluations should pick up next Tuesday and every Tuesday after that except for the last two weeks in August. I had that problem when I moved here, got in one evaluation and then had to wait for September. They close the fields to everyone the in between period in August to do any repairs that are needed. Just be there at 7:30 and follow along. Running, throwing, catching and pitching if you like you'll be doing and they'll be watching. Pitching is always the one position in need, and I've seen guys move up one whole division if they were a good pitcher.

Rec League you'll have to buy you're own bat, it's a Mika bat and costs about $200 and they are breakable. There is a Tuesday afternoon league called RBL, Restricted Bat League, it has division 1 thru 4 mixed together on the same teams but you use aluminum bats. The bats you can buy and they are better than the ones you get in neighborhood league. I bought mine at Dick's for $70, you can have 2 piece aluminum bats. The games are usually about 2:00 and 3:30. I played one season and it was an eye-opener. Playing shortstop I never had balls hit to me as hard as in the league during 5 years of SS in neighborhood league. I had one bruise that lasted months. You might try RBL out to get a taste of playing with higher levels. They haven't had any games the last summer or two, you might have to wait until fall season.
My son played high school baseball up until 2 years ago, so I've been there, done that on the bats. $300 bat every year, three years in a row because they kept changing the certification requirements every year. What was legal last year is no longer legal, etc. I find any sport one is serious about has some cost to it. Golf is a perfect example - not liking your game, blame the clubs, go buy a new set.

I'm sure once I can get myself into it, I'll be exploring any opportunity to play that I can work into my schedule. I always loved playing softball more than I ever enjoyed baseball. I've played slow pitch and modified pitch, men's leagues, church leagues, co-rec leagues. But I came from a small town and softball just dried up some years ago and there was nowhere left to play anymore short of a traveling team and that just wasn't going to work for me.

I'm not really concerned about where I rate out at or even moving up. It'll just be what it be, as we say, and it will be fun regardless. I'm sure I have some rust to knock off.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
...I was curious about what happens if your neighborhood doesn't have a team...
The Neighborhood League is very flexible. If your neighborhood does’t have enough players, they will find a spot for you.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 AM

Reviving my thread here one more time. I completed evals and am D2/N2. I have a bat that would be legal for rec league but not neighborhood. I was told after evals that you can bring your own bat for N1 and N2 neighborhood league and it should be "ASA Approved". As I'm looking at bats online that are ASA approved, I see quite a variety and am wondering if there are any other limitations I need to look out for? I'm not finding any links on the website for neighborhood 1 and 2 rules.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
...As I'm looking at bats online that are ASA approved, I see quite a variety and am wondering if there are any other limitations I need to look out for? I'm not finding any links on the website for neighborhood 1 and 2 rules.
You wouldn't happen to be a member of MVP Health Club at Brownwood? I go there 3 or 4 days a week and several softball players are there. Art Romano who was the manager of the D1 Rec League Champions last season is there every morning. If you have Villages United Health Medicare Advantage, membership is free. Just saying, you can learn a lot talking to the guys at MVP. Kirby Campanaro is there most days, I played with him in RBL league and he's the best all around player I've seen.

I would hold off on buying a bat, I bought a bat for the RBL league and after I started playing several guys said, go ahead and use my bat, and I liked some them better. After you've hit a few, you can figure out what you want to buy.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighborhood, work, start, season, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.