softball help

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Smile softball help

Hi everyone, hope someone can help we will be arriving this monday 6th,i use to play a lot of ball but its been approximately 20yrs since i swung a bat.i am retired now and really want to get very involved again we hope we like what we see and decide to move to ur great location we will be staying at creekside for 6 days is it possible for me to practice with someone while i am there,if anyone can help i would appreciate it very much. ThANKS. RJ
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum member

I have the same phonia as you Radar. I also played softball into my early 40's but I hung em up after I couldn't keep up with the competition which was sometimes 20 years younger. My arm wasn't what it used to be and I had lost a step or two. I never dreamed of playing again, but although not yet in my house until next week, my Pee wee Reese glove has already been shipped, waiting for me to come out of retirement. Before I go on the field and embarrase myself, I'd like to test the water to make sure I have something left. I'd love to practice with someone...maybe field grounder and shag playballs etc but I won't be in Buttonwood for any length of time until early next year.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Gentlemen --I think we are all in the same boat --I played until I was 44--58 now --afraid to throw from second to the short lol --

You can read the rec news and it gives you the days for tryouts and practices --I think we will find lots of chances to tell our stories ..

Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

I haven't played since high school or at least my mid twenties. I've told my wife that I would like to try again when we get there, but she's not too keen on the idea. We'll have to see how it goes.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Default softball help

Thanks i believe i can pick back up and have a good time,just have to get out there and see,someone left me a private message to call but my phone would not let me get ur phone# my e- mail is kninelegend@yahoo.com i can give my# or u can leave your# thanks rj
Old 09-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Bosoxfan

IHi guys.I played softball in the villages last winter.I can tell you there are open practices almost every weekday.Usually they were in the afternoons @ either the sadlebrook or buffalo glen fields.The fall season starts next week so if you go to the fields and ask around the guys there will direct you.The fields are used in the mornings for leagues but the afternoons are for the open practices.Open practices are for anyone that want to take some swings and shag some balls while others are hitting.Oh ,Sunday mornings from dawn to about noon there's an open practice at Saddlebrook.Any thing else I can do let me know.I'll be back in the villages on the 13 th.Good luck guys & have fun!!!

Last edited by Bosoxfan; 09-02-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Bosoxfan
Default Safety First

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I haven't played since high school or at least my mid twenties. I've told my wife that I would like to try again when we get there, but she's not too keen on the idea. We'll have to see how it goes.
If this helps tell your wife that safety and staying healthy is a major deal in The Villages Softball program.First off if you want to play in one of the many teams ,over 500 ,you have to go through 3 evaluations so you will end up playing with folks in your skill level.They take the contact & sliding out of all but the top level leagues.There are 5 levels.One thru five with one being the top level.They do it right.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

It was 30+ years between games for me. The first thing you will find is that there really is rust in the human body. The next thing is that when muscles are being used in a way that they haven't in a very long time......even when you thing you are stretching out, they hurt for days afterwards.

Good news is that you won't be alone. Also, the rust goes away, you get your timing back, and finally you will find that those muscles aren't sore very much anymore.

It takes about one season of regular playing, plus or minus a few games. Then you will have your groove back.

One other thing. Be prepared to see the ladies play much better, and stock up on motrin..

Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Platinum member

Thanks, I'll let her know.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Radar I post this reply to your same question last week

In order to play softball you must be evaluated. Evaluations are held Tuesdays at 7:30 AM at the Buffalo Glenn sports complex. You need 3 sessions to complete the process. You will then placed in a division according to your ability rather than an age group. Next season starts in most divisions the 1st week of September. A season lasts approx 3 months then a month off before next season
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Gold member

I played softball for one season here and decided not to continue as there were other things I was more interested in. I purchased a left handers fielders glove for $75 which I now want to sell. In all the years of playing ball I believe this was the best glove I ever owned. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you left handers are looking for a good cheap glove.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Default softball help

Thanks everyone i understand about the evaluation i think it is a great deal,i just hope to meet someone to practice with to see if i am able to still play if i feel good about it i am sure we will start house hunting rj
Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Platinum member

If you are still rady to try practicing, i am up to it but it is fgoing to have to wait until I'm in the Villages in Jan.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Default Interested in Lefty Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I played softball for one season here and decided not to continue as there were other things I was more interested in. I purchased a left handers fielders glove for $75 which I now want to sell. In all the years of playing ball I believe this was the best glove I ever owned. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you left handers are looking for a good cheap glove.

John
Hi John...

Seeing mine is about 45 years old and rapidly approaching retirement age...so probably should investigate a newer model. Send me info on where I can check out your "meat-rags".

Thanks

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Default Softball season 2010

What do we have to know to start playing softball? When are try outs? When does the season begin? If the season has started can you still get involved? What about practices (rust being a real concern).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.