How much does solar cost?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2021, 01:14 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Are these solar SHINGLES or PAnels
Panels. The shingles are super expensive, are not very efficient, and are generally not available.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
50 million, right?
HAHAHA now THAT would be a VERY large system indeed!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:20 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would also point out that every solar system analysis I have read factors in an increase in the market value of your house. But, I don't believe that to be true, and I have never heard a licensed real estate broker claim that a house with a solar system in The Villages will sell for an increased price. In fact, I think the opposite is true. Some buyers will not even consider buying a house with solar panels on the roof.
Great point! Nationally there is a 4.1% increase in home value (Homes With Solar Panels Sell for 4.1% More - Zillow Research
The 10 states where solar power can boost a home'''s value the most)

I always tell customers that you need to get a real estate professional who knows what they are doing to sell your home with solar.

Final thought - Just as you wouldn't renovate your kitchen for $40,000 and "give it away for free", why would you give away free electricity for decades when you sell the home? It just wouldn't make sense, would it?

Have a great day!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.19.22 PM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	91258  
Old 10-21-2021, 01:22 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Realistically how many years to pay it back?
Hi Stu from NYC

It would largely depend on if you qualified for the 26% Federal Tax Incentive. Good rule of thumb in this area is 7-10 years with the incentive

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:24 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have looked into it and based on people we have spoken to not a good idea for us.

If we were say 25 years younger might make a lot more sense.

Not to mention cutting into a 12 year old roof is not a good thing to do.
Yeah, I hear you. Your age and the homes solar profile really are big things to consider. If you ever want a quote, just call. I just need your address and your utility bill for usage.

321-960--0052

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:28 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative View Post
We got a quote from PE Solar. $36,500 upfront for the install, and we’d still have an approximate bill of $130-140/mo to Duke. I figured the breakeven period at 12 years. Even with the tax credit, it just doesn’t make sense for us.

I suspect that this will be like big screen TVs and computers. The technology will get perfected, the units will get smaller, and the price will come down. But until then, solar is a big fat no for us.
Hi ChicagoNative

Thanks for your comment

Duke is not cheap, so I am a little surprised a $36,500 cash deal would still have you paying $130+/mo to Duke unless you're using a ton of energy and your roof isn't ideal for solar.

I don't know what the other company showed you, but I am happy to provide you with a different quote. I can almost guarantee I'll be less than what they offered you. I'm salaried, not on commission. :-)

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:31 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
This solar deal sounds like a resort Time Share sales pitch.
Yikes I hope not! I never sell a lease, so unlike Time Shares you would actually own the system.

Plus, I am not offering a free weekend with a required 5 hour sales presentation and a 3 generation binding contract

If you don't want a free pizza, that's fine. It's just a fun way to market solar.

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
As I see it to recover the cost takes time.
So the first thing you should factor in is your age.
The second is what's your current monthly expenditure for electricity.
I find just with both these you should be able to figure it out.
I'm no youngster and my bill never exceeds $200.
For me it's not worth it in dollars or the head aches that will come with the installation and the cleaning of the panels.
Hi Blackbird.

Thanks for your comment

You are absolutely correct. You must factor in your age and current monthly expenditures!

The only thin I would correct is that you should not have any headaches from installation and you do not need to clean the panels. Anyone who tells you that you need to clean the panels is just trying to sell you an unnecessary service contract.

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Sage

I assume you could be contacted to remove and reinstall the system after a roof replacement? If so, can you provide a ballpark estimate (a range would be fine) of what it would cost today to remove and reinstall a system with 25 panels? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiosis View Post
That's why we don't use the "wrong people" :-)

I generally only sell Tier 1 systems (up to 11.7 kW DC) which does not require any additional insurance.

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:37 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
What do you sell
Currently we use Q.Cell Duo Blk ML-G10+ 400 watt manufactured in Dalton GA. They have one of the highest linear production warranties I've ever seen. (93.5% at year 10, 86% at year 25)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:42 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Our son, in Wisconsin, just did this. Our first thought was...but it isn't all that sunny in Winter there. I never thought of it til friends of ours in the 80's built a "energy efficient" house....windows facing south and none to the north. That friend told me they'd not thought of it neither til after the fact but stated they found it wasn't worth it in the long run. THEN I've read comments here like V.T. and it seems just like another O.P. said..."like a time-share pitch". So t'will be "interesting" to see what our son finds out in the long run.
Hi NotGolfer. Thanks for posting!

As far as Wisconsin, I really don't know that market, but you can't really compare solar in WI to solar in FL, It would be like comparing snow in WI to snow in FL. They just don't get the amount of sun we get down here all year long. I'm not saying it won't work in WI, I'm just saying solar works 100% of the time in Florida and will always save the homeowner money from day 1 compared to what you are paying on your current electric bill. Most Northern States take 3-5 years to cost less, which is why most offer a State incentive or have a SREC program.

I'm not sure what makes solar a "time-share pitch"? Is it offering free pizza for a solar presentation? I thought it sounded fun, but ok?

:-)

Have a great afternoon
Old 10-21-2021, 01:50 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I love solar but....

The state of FL offers no state incentives on installs, there's a 22% Federal tax credit.

No sales tax

None of this was explained by this contractor.

The better systems include battery backup to you can run off the grid at night

No up front cost only wants you to call, so he's doing this 10 years and can't give a range of cost?

Should state the savings and years to break even.

The issue here is our cost currently is low where it mostly doesn't pay off in a 55+ community.

What brand solar panels do you sell?

"american solar one" isn't listed on sunbiz.org as Florida Corp

Are you a franchise?

What's your location, one page website has no street address.

Who are you folks?

Sales presentation not very good for trying to sell a $40,000 job.
Hi jimbo2012

I have never talked to you, so you have not had a sales presentation. Solar may or may not work for your home, but as I know nothing about you home or electric consumption, I can't give you a price. Range of cost for residential solar is generally $10,000 to $100,000. It would all depend on your home, how much electricity you use, and how much of you current bill you want to offset. In The Villages, most systems would cost between $10,000 and $30,000. if you needed a new roof, that would be built into the total price.

There is no up-front cost unless you want to pay cash. If you want to pay cash:
30% due at contract
60% due at install
10% due at PTO

Also the Federal Tax incentive is 26%, not 22%. It will be at 26% in 2022 as well.

Most people do not have the cash sitting around, so they go with the finance option. It's a 1.49% loan. First payment is 60 days after install. So as I stated before, its zero down. Make sense now?

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:54 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
I was wrong 4% of $40,000 is $1,600.
It still doesn't make sense for me
It's not for everyone

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:57 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I assume you could be contacted to remove and reinstall the system after a roof replacement? If so, can you provide a ballpark estimate (a range would be fine) of what it would cost today to remove and reinstall a system with 25 panels? Thanks.
Hi Biker1

As the cost for removal and replacement is expensive, I would not recommend doing that. Your best bet is to replace a roof that is 15 years or older before going solar.

The roof space under the panels would be protected from UV radiation and weathering, so you would not need to replace that part of the roof once the panels were installed. Panels produce energy for 50 years and come with a 25 year linear production warranty

Have a great day!
Old 10-21-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage

Thanks for your post. I have a roof that is 7 years old. I am not going to do a premature replacement. The existing roof might have a total lifetime of 15 to 20 years, probably closer to 15 years. For a solar panel installation today, not replacing the shingles under the panels (in 7-8 years when the existing roof needs to be replace) is really not an option. You did not answer my question about the cost to remove and reinstall after a roof replacement. I can only assume the number is pretty onerous and you don't want to advertise it. I would never consider an installation without knowing that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiosis View Post
Hi Biker1

As the cost for removal and replacement is expensive, I would not recommend doing that. Your best bet is to replace a roof that is 15 years or older before going solar.

The roof space under the panels would be protected from UV radiation and weathering, so you would not need to replace that part of the roof once the panels were installed. Panels produce energy for 50 years and come with a 25 year linear production warranty

Have a great day!
Closed Thread

Tags
cost, give, home, pizza, solar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.