How much does solar cost?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2021, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiosis View Post
Hi Biker1

As the cost for removal and replacement is expensive, I would not recommend doing that. Your best bet is to replace a roof that is 15 years or older before going solar.

The roof space under the panels would be protected from UV radiation and weathering, so you would not need to replace that part of the roof once the panels were installed. Panels produce energy for 50 years and come with a 25 year linear production warranty

Have a great day!
Are you saying that an insurance company who requires a 15 year old roof to be replaced would allow you to not replace all of the shingles? And, that a roofing company is going to work around existing solar panels and guarantee the roof against leaks? I'm very skeptical about that.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:09 PM
Sage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiosis View Post
Hi jimbo2012

I have never talked to you, so you have not had a sales presentation. Solar may or may not work for your home, but as I know nothing about you home or electric consumption, I can't give you a price. Range of cost for residential solar is generally $10,000 to $100,000. It would all depend on your home, how much electricity you use, and how much of you current bill you want to offset. In The Villages, most systems would cost between $10,000 and $30,000. if you needed a new roof, that would be built into the total price.

There is no up-front cost unless you want to pay cash. If you want to pay cash:
30% due at contract
60% due at install
10% due at PTO

Also the Federal Tax incentive is 26%, not 22%. It will be at 26% in 2022 as well.

Most people do not have the cash sitting around, so they go with the finance option. It's a 1.49% loan. First payment is 60 days after install. So as I stated before, its zero down. Make sense now?

Have a great day!
You failed to reply to several of my questions???

What brand solar panels do you sell?

"american solar one" isn't listed on sunbiz.org as Florida Corp

Are you a franchise?

What's your location, one page website has no street address.

Who are you folks what is your corporate name.

Why don't answer those questions
Old 10-25-2021, 05:56 PM

The solar industry is a graveyard of bankrupt contractors and manufacturers. WHY? Because of significant overpromise - and under delivery. Anybody in the industry - or related (which I still am) will share "BEWARE." Even Tesla is having issues.

Why the problem? There are several factors that can cause solar to underperform. First, they get dirty - and stop performing. Second, debris get's caught underneath - and they stop performing. Third, they are not installed exactly right - and stop performing. Fourth, they are installed over an older roof; the roof needs to be replaced - and you are out of luck. Five, it is being "sold back" most of the time to your utility - not going into your personal electric system; lots of opportunities for problems. I sit on the Board of the largest co-op of commercial roofing contractors in the country (over a billion in sales) and solar was the primary topic at the meeting last week: net/net - most members of the co-op have tried - and it hasn't worked. IN FACT, there currently on commercial roofs as an example, there is a large financial penalty for not putting on a solar roof for new construction now - and over 90% are accepting the penalty.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:22 PM

Have heard insurance companies won't insure your roof without a huge increase in insured value. Have not researched.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:25 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

@79, i won't see any return
Old 10-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Overpromise is correct. When a contractor offers you a 25 year parts and labor warranty on any kind of system that they install, you should know that the contractor is scamming you. It is not reasonable for any contractor to expect to honor that type of warranty on any mechanical or electrical system, especially a small contractor installing solar systems. They have no intention or ability to make good on the warranty. They just want to make a sale. Ask them to purchase a performance bond in case they are not around in 25 years.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:24 AM

We had 175 panels on our 7200 sf barn roof in MA. Took care of our home, barn apartment, indoor arena lights, barn lights and heat. Our average electric bill pre solar in February was 2500.00. Yearly was typically around 8000.
MA had a significant SRECs payment around 10,000 a year.
It was net metering. We collected credits during summer and used that during winter when snow covered the panels.
In MA, totally worth the cost. In FL, our electric bill is running 120 a month. I don't see it as cost effective.
Closed Thread

Tags
cost, give, home, pizza, solar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.