Solar Golf Carts

Solar Golf Carts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Solar Golf Carts
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Default Solar Golf Carts

Village Golf Carts
"The source of the Solar Powered Cart"

I have had an avid interest in solar power for many years on my house, RV and boat. My partner is a commercial and residential solar system designer and installer in NY. He built a solar cart 3 years ago at a community we snowbirded at just south of here, he has not plugged his cart into a charger for the last two years using it all winter. When I first visited The Villages last April and saw all the all carts he & I started talking about the possibility of developing a Solar Power System to market to the huge number of cart owners here. We spent the last few months developing our state of the art propriety charge controller; there are none currently on the market that met our needs. This charge controller was put to test performing at 70+ miles in several individual one day rides. We think we can get that range higher, when I get to TV in December, I will test further.

Now with opening of Brownwood many will need greater range in their carts, so the timing is right to begin this business.
There are basically two types of solar PV (Photovoltaics electric) panels on the market.

Thin “flexible” Film Amorphous Solar modules which can peel and stick on the top of a golf cart roof easily those that you may see do not produce the type of wattage needed to extend the range most folks at The Villages are looking for. They do have value as a trickle charge but are not going the extend range much if at all.

We use Solid amorphous/crystalline solid type solar panels with aluminum frames that can we mount to your cart with the strength to withstand the movement of your cart on the roads, they have tempered glass and are UL 1703 safety rated for wind, hail, and fire.

• The solar roof power system includes the solar panel, all aluminum/stainless steel mounting hardware, and proprietary controller.
• The system features a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) controller that monitors and optimizes the charging process for high power output and reverse polarity protection.
• Charges a 36 volt or 48 volt golf cart battery bank.
• A easily readable accurate digital state of charge gauge mounted on your dash in included.
• A solar power system will fit on all golf carts including Club Car, E-Z-GO, Yamaha, Star, Tomberlin E-Merge and more.
• 30% of the purchase price can be applied as a Federal Tax rebate and Florida State sales tax is exempt on solar.

The introductory price for the Solar Power System will be $1285 for a limited time.

With the 30% Tax rebate your net cost will be ONLY $899

If you need to replace your batteries consider purchasing new batteries with your solar charging system, an additional tax credit/rebate of 30% of the battery cost can be taken if you purchase the batteries at the same time as the Solar charging System.

A typical set of standard Trojan T-875’s cart batteries cost an average of $650.00 plus tax = $690
For the higher capacity Trojan T-890’s they average $815 plus tax = $863 .

Your net cost for the T-875’s $455, saving $235, the T-890’s $570, saving $293.

The panels have a 5 Year Workmanship Warranty, 20 Year Power Output

Please post or PM any questions about this system.

Please email us at villagegolfcarts@gmail.com to join our list of potential customers or if you need anymore info!!

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Ad poster; 03-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 AM

Good idea Bob,
We are heavily involved in PV systems in the UK and when we are in TV i can never understand why someone has not pursued this idea for Electric carts before.
When we are back in December, i will get in touch with you to get one fitted on our golf cart.
Good luck with the new business
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Solar Golf Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junction29 View Post
Good idea Bob,
We are heavily involved in PV systems in the UK and when we are in TV i can never understand why someone has not pursued this idea for Electric carts before.
When we are back in December, i will get in touch with you to get one fitted on our golf cart.
Good luck with the new business
Thanks for the interest,
I think the reason it may not have taken off before is most were trying to use the low wattage flex peal & stick solar which just didn't meet the demands of charging power.

I've been talking about doing this for a while now I'll see what the market really is.

tks

Bob
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad poster View Post
Village Golf Carts
"The source of the Solar Powered Cart"

I have had an avid interest in solar power for many years on my house, RV and boat. My partner is a commercial and residential solar system designer and installer in NY. He built a solar cart 3 years ago at a community we snowbirded at just south of here, he has not plugged his cart into a charger for the last two years using it all winter. When I first visited The Villages last April and saw all the all carts he & I started talking about the possibility of developing a Solar Power System to market to the huge number of cart owners here. We spent the last few months developing our state of the art propriety charge controller; there are none currently on the market that met our needs. This charge controller was put to test performing at 70+ miles in several individual one day rides. We think we can get that range higher, when I get to TV in December, I will test further.

Now with opening of Brownwood many will need greater range in their carts, so the timing is right to begin this business.
There are basically two types of solar PV (Photovoltaics electric) panels on the market.

Thin “flexible” Film Amorphous Solar modules which can peel and stick on the top of a golf cart roof easily those that you may see do not produce the type of wattage needed to extend the range most folks at The Villages are looking for. They do have value as a trickle charge but are not going the extend range much if at all.

We use Solid amorphous/crystalline solid type solar panels with aluminum frames that can we mount to your cart with the strength to withstand the movement of your cart on the roads, they have tempered glass and are UL 1703 safety rated for wind, hail, and fire.

• The solar roof power system includes the solar panel, all aluminum/stainless steel mounting hardware, and proprietary controller.
• The system features a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) controller that monitors and optimizes the charging process for high power output and reverse polarity protection.
• Charges a 36 volt or 48 volt golf cart battery bank.
• A easily readable accurate digital state of charge gauge mounted on your dash in included.
• A solar power system will fit on all golf carts including Club Car, E-Z-GO, Yamaha, Star, Tomberlin E-Merge and more.
• 30% of the purchase price can be applied as a Federal Tax rebate and Florida State sales tax is exempt on solar.

The introductory price for the Solar Power System will be $1285 for a limited time.

With the 30% Tax rebate your net cost will be ONLY $899

If you need to replace your batteries consider purchasing new batteries with your solar charging system, an additional tax credit/rebate of 30% of the battery cost can be taken if you purchase the batteries at the same time as the Solar charging System.

A typical set of standard Trojan T-875’s cart batteries cost an average of $650.00 plus tax = $690
For the higher capacity Trojan T-890’s they average $815 plus tax = $863 .

Your net cost for the T-875’s $455, saving $235, the T-890’s $570, saving $293.

The panels have a 5 Year Workmanship Warranty, 20 Year Power Output

Please post or PM any questions about this system.

Please email us at villagegolfcarts@gmail.com to join our list of potential customers or if you need anymore info!!

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob - Great idea and a wonderful Christmas present for my family to give me !!! Put Sal & I on the list - hope to see you again soon...

Anne
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Solar Golf Carts

Anne, I know when we met you folks showed some interest, great.

We'll be back there beginning of Dec, having my cart painted next week trying to come up with some sort of solar color idea.....

Bob
Old 10-11-2012, 09:32 AM

What are the specs of the cells? Volts, watts, etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Eternal Member

I'll be moving down around the first of the year (I close on the 30th...wooo!) and I am very interested. Gas carts are cheaper, more robust and range is not an issue. They are also noisy and stink aside from being pollution factories.

The issue is how robust and proven the solar system is - plus what kind of nursing and maintenance they require. Count me in as very interested.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Solar Golf Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
What are the specs of the cells? Volts, watts, etc.
The spec I think you're seeking is watts, that's the primary factor in solar charging ours is 190-240 depending on the application.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Solar Golf Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geewiz View Post
I'll be moving down around the first of the year (I close on the 30th...wooo!) and I am very interested. Gas carts are cheaper, more robust and range is not an issue. They are also noisy and stink aside from being pollution factories.

The issue is how robust and proven the solar system is - plus what kind of nursing and maintenance they require. Count me in as very interested.
I can tell you that elec and gas are the same price, while yes the range on gas is over 200 miles I don't think they R more robust, unless you're referring to something in particular.

Maintenance is not much, water levels need to be correct, connections on batteries tight and corrosion free, clean the solar glass as needed.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Platinum member

To benefit would you leave your cart outside all day or could you continue to park it in the garage when you are home. I guess a better way to ask is how many hours of sun light is needed to keep the batteries charged if you go 5 miles a day, 10 miles a day?
Closed Thread