Disappointing behavior by DJ at Spanish Springs town square

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Unhappy Disappointing behavior by DJ at Spanish Springs town square

I have lived here for 3 years and greatly enjoy dancing at the town squares. I have made many friends and acquaintances there. Last night, I was very disappointed to see the DJ display extremely poor judgement. There are a couple of men who frequent this square and slow dance together on occasion. They are nice people and it has never been a problem. Last night, in the middle of a slow dance, the DJ switched to a very loud, fast dance. It seemed obvious to some of us, that the reason he did this was that he objected to the 2 gentlemen dancing together. It was disruptive to everyone who was dancing, in very poor taste, hurtful and uncomfortable for everyone there. The music became very loud, I assume to cover up the verbal altercations. The DJ and sound man seemed to deny this was done intentionally, but there seemed to be no other reason for the change in music. No apologies were made publicly or privately that I am aware of. I will not go to any square that this DJ is performing at again. I sincerely hope that he looks inside himself and becomes more tolerant of others. I felt this left a very bad impression on our guests.

Last edited by mraines; 07-11-2015 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Title
Old 07-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
I have lived here for 3 years and greatly enjoy dancing at the town squares. I have made many friends and acquaintances there. Last night, I was very disappointed to see the DJ display extremely poor judgement. There are a couple of men who frequent this square and slow dance together on occasion. They are nice people and it has never been a problem. Last night, in the middle of a slow dance, the DJ switched to a very loud, fast dance. It seemed obvious to some of us, that the reason he did this was that he objected to the 2 gentlemen dancing together. It was disruptive to everyone who was dancing, in very poor taste, hurtful and uncomfortable for everyone there. The music became very loud, I assume to cover up the verbal altercations. The DJ and sound man seemed to deny this was done intentionally, but there seemed to be no other reason for the change in music. No apologies were made publicly or privately that I am aware of. I will not go to any square that this DJ is performing at again. I sincerely hope that he looks inside himself and becomes more tolerant of others. I felt this left a very bad impression on our guests.
You should express your feelings to The Villages Entertainment, 1070 CANAL STREET, THE VILLAGES, FL 32162 | 352-750-5411
Old 07-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Default DJ's behavior

I was there also and found the DJ"s behavior extremely rude and offensive to these two nice people. I also will never go to a square where he is playing.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Disappointing DJ

So, who was the DJ?

Not saying you're wrong. I wasn't there. But your post contains a lot of assumptions. Mixing beats and tempos is what DJs do. If he did it only once -- when two guys were dancing -- your point is valid.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:59 AM

They were dancing!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Eternal Member

The DJ was Bobby Iavo. In order for him to turn the sound up, he would have to tell the sound man to do it. So they must have been in cahoots to change the song, tempo and sound because 2 guys were dancing. Hmmmmm.....
Old 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Gold member

Disgusting and homophobic behavior, this guy is hired to entertain, not pass his own judgement on someone else's choice. IMHO he should never be hired again to "spin records" in any of the Villages squares. I'm very glad I was not there to see this, I would have made something of it.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 07-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I will never eat at that restaurant again, never visit that store again, never, never!
Does that make the complaint more valid?
No, it just says that we have a choice and we will choose not to go to the square if this "DJ" is working. That's all, no blanket statement, just expressing our choice.

-Bob Seger-
Old 07-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Are you sure? Are you really sure that it was meant to single out the homosexual couple or it just happened coincidentally.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Eternal Member

My guess is this had nothing to do with 2 guys dancing. All of the bands, singers, etc. will go from one song to another. From a fast to a slow. DJ's usually have things already preset on their computer as to the order of songs. It could have even been a glitch in one of the songs. I doubt it had anything to do with the 2 guys.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Default dj should banned from villages

I was at the Spanish springs square last night when this happened and it was obvious to me that the dj did this on purpose. he showed no respect for these 2 men or anyone else that was at the square.and he wasn't trying to mix music. the dj was bobby lavo and I think he should be banned from the villages. I know I wont be going to any of his shows
Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Gold member

If their just playing songs on their computers, why do we call them entertainers?

-Bob Seger-
Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschallon View Post
I was at the Spanish springs square last night when this happened and it was obvious to me that the dj did this on purpose. he showed no respect for these 2 men or anyone else that was at the square.and he wasn't trying to mix music. the dj was bobby lavo and I think he should be banned from the villages. I know I wont be going to any of his shows
Not really gossip if 2 people, who were there, witnessed the same thing and came away with the same opinion.

-Bob Seger-
Old 07-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Well this thread adds another reason I will stay away from town squares
Old 07-11-2015, 01:35 PM

why does it matter if this is someones first post here. what matters is a lot of people who saw what happened were upset.so much so that the police were called in. If it was a mix up with the equipment then they should of announced it.and they knew the crowd was very upset
Closed Thread

Tags
dance, square, dancing, town, music, poor, reason, loud, slow, night, made, tolerant, guests, change, bad, intentionally, verbal, felt, cover, altercations, deny, man, sound, apologies, publicly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.