Disappointing behavior by DJ at Spanish Springs town square

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If I understand the OP correctly, this was not going on to the next song. It was deliberately cutting one song short and starting another one. If this was the case and it was obvious to Al. There that it was done because a gay couple was dancing together, then the DJ's actions were morally reprehensible. If it was close to the end of the slow song, it could have been inadvertent and should be forgiven.

I wasn't there and don't know the facts but from the sound of things, it probably was good that I wasn't present. I do have a tendency to stand up and shout when I see bigotry in action.

I want to know why the police were called. Police are not called usually unless someone is out of hand. Who? Why? What? When" How?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Platinum member

Can you please answer what the police were doing there? And what did they do? Was anyone arrested? What did the two male dancers do when this was all going on? Did they stop dancing? Did folks go to their defense.....for whatever needed defending?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Platinum member

Gracie, I believe our posts posted together.....
Old 07-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If I understand the OP correctly, this was not going on to the next song. It was deliberately cutting one song short and starting another one. If this was the case and it was obvious to Al. There that it was done because a gay couple was dancing together, then the DJ's actions were morally reprehensible. If it was close to the end of the slow song, it could have been inadvertent and should be forgiven.

I wasn't there and don't know the facts but from the sound of things, it probably was good that I wasn't present. I do have a tendency to stand up and shout when I see bigotry in action.
Me, too, so it's hard to determine, but it seems like at least 3 people, totally unrelated to each other, felt the same way...that it was an intentional act. That leads me to believe that it WAS done intentionally. As far as the police go, apparently there was enough hostility/confusion/dismay/whatever that a ruckus of some sort ensued. If a DJ causes a ruckus among the very crowd he has been paid to entertain, methinks he shouldn't be asked to play anymore.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Default Uh OH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Gracie, I believe our posts posted together.....
..tsk tsk two females posting together
Old 07-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage

I have treasured friends who are gay and treasured friends who are straight.

Do I agree with them all of the time, on everything? NO.

I am tired of people trying to stir up trouble over issues not related to a person's sexuality. Obviously there was trouble, or perceived trouble.

Sometimes people are hypersensitive. I am sometimes, to the word, retarded. But you cannot convince me that hating is right, no matter what side you are on.

A meek answer turneth away all wrath.

And getting your knickers in a hitch over something doesn't sell your idea or your values. Self righteous is ugly on both sides.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM

I do not call it immature if people were protesting the fact that neighbors were being discriminated against. As residents they should be allowed to participate in TV activities of their choosing. The DJ is being paid to mind his own business.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunwithTom View Post
I do not call it immature if people were protesting the fact that neighbors were being discriminated against. As residents they should be allowed to participate in TV activities of their choosing. The DJ is being paid to mind his own business.
Welcome to TOTV FunwithTom, I guess we're all just wondering what all the fuss was about....so much that police were called. I wasn't there. Were you? Maybe you could help us understand. If a song was stopped in the middle, simply to stop certain folks from dancing...it was a planned activity. Would a DJ really go to that much trouble? I doubt it.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 PM

It is my understanding that the sound man called the police. Not sure why. One of the men was upset and yelling at the dj. Several of us came to voice our discontent. No one became physical so I don't know why the police were called. When they arrived, the officer said it was not a police matter but a villages matter. But for some reason, they seemed to hang around. He also was rude to one of the men and when I mentioned to him that I thought he was rude, he more or less told me to get lost.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
It is my understanding that the sound man called the police. Not sure why. One of the men was upset and yelling at the dj. Several of us came to voice our discontent. No one became physical so I don't know why the police were called. When they arrived, the officer said it was not a police matter but a villages matter. But for some reason, they seemed to hang around. He also was rude to one of the men and when I mentioned to him that I thought he was rude, he more or less told me to get lost.

Thank you for the explanation.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraines View Post
I have lived here for 3 years and greatly enjoy dancing at the town squares. I have made many friends and acquaintances there. Last night, I was very disappointed to see the DJ display extremely poor judgement. There are a couple of men who frequent this square and slow dance together on occasion. They are nice people and it has never been a problem. Last night, in the middle of a slow dance, the DJ switched to a very loud, fast dance. It seemed obvious to some of us, that the reason he did this was that he objected to the 2 gentlemen dancing together. It was disruptive to everyone who was dancing, in very poor taste, hurtful and uncomfortable for everyone there. The music became very loud, I assume to cover up the verbal altercations. The DJ and sound man seemed to deny this was done intentionally, but there seemed to be no other reason for the change in music. No apologies were made publicly or privately that I am aware of. I will not go to any square that this DJ is performing at again. I sincerely hope that he looks inside himself and becomes more tolerant of others. I felt this left a very bad impression on our guests.
I applaud the OP for her/his open mind and caring attitude. All Villagers should be treated with respect, no matter what their color, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age! Thank you for posting (first time or not!).
Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

Sounds to me like there's a whole lot more to this story....especially if the sound man was the one calling police. If the DJ and or sound man were being yelled at maybe others were at fault......like dancers.

I know...none of my business....but if the DJ is being called a bigot before knowing what happened...it's just wrong.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Sage

I wonder what happened exactly. I have been present when one couple was slow dancing and the band switched to a faster song to get more people out on the dance floor.

I have been present when a straight couple were slow dancing, full of booze and acting a little too sexy and somewhat inappropriate. (a please rent a room occasion for the rest of us).

I have been present when a straight person had a snootfull and hollered something snotty at the bandstand. ARE YOU SURE it was ONLY because the couple was gay this happened????? Something makes me feel that we aren't getting the WHOLE story.

If anyone would be experienced in "seeing it all" and having to overlook a lot of unusual human behavior, it would be entertainers that every night witnessed a bunch of drunk people.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I applaud the OP for her/his open mind and caring attitude. All Villagers should be treated with respect, no matter what their color, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age! Thank you for posting (first time or not!).
How do you know who was or was not treated with respect? Sounds to me like the DJ was being treated badly.....unless you were there and know more? This whole thing is ridiculous since no one knows what happened.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Eternal Member

I don't think people were treated with respect. There's people yelling at the DJ and the Soundman. Why not wait til the DJ takes a break and ask. Why not just go to the soundman and ask. Nope, gotta yell and then and get nasty. Definitely no respect shown.

Tags
dance, square, dancing, town, music, poor, reason, loud, slow, night, made, tolerant, guests, change, bad, intentionally, verbal, felt, cover, altercations, deny, man, sound, apologies, publicly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.