Biking in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Biking in The Villages

One of the things that I can't wait to do when I get down to TV is get back into bicycling. So this question is directed towards any members of the bicycling clubs. If I wanted to join your weekly rides, what type of bike should I get and where should I get it. I haven't ridden in over 20 years and will have to take it easy until I can get back into some semblance of shape. What do you think I should budget for bike and accessories? Are beginners welcome on these rides or is it only for experienced riders? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 23 more days until retirement!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

brostholder , you sound like my wife and I. Can't wait to be able to ride our bikes again. We purchased E-ZIP bicycles made by Currie Technologies. The advantage of these are the 24 volt electric motor assist. You can pedal and the motor assist will help you as needed, or you can control the throttle as you need it. They are a little heavy, but are fun and the motor is great when you are tired and need a little help. Check out their web site for more details and specs. If you like what you see, shop around for the best price. We bought ours at Walmart Online during Christmas, got a great price plus free shipping to our home. They are a great value for the price.

http://www.currietech.com/
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Sage

I believe the bike club's rides are broken down by the speed you ride.

If you were riding a road bike 20 yrs ago and feel you can get back on one then go for it. I would check out the ads to find a good used one to start with.

There are some great trails in the area. Many require a mountain bike for the traction in hard packed sand. Some are paved and you can use any kind of bike that you like.

http://thevillagebicycleclub.com/

http://www.slbikeclub.org/

http://www.virginiatrace.com/
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Cool Biking in the Villages

As mentioned there are different rider levels in the bike clubs. I would suggest starting in the social riders group (12 mph) and move up as you gain experience and get back in riding shape. You will need a bike helmet ($30 on line) Performance bike or Nashbar to start with. You may want to consider purchasing a used bike to begin with. Later on if you decide to stick with it you can purchase a new bike from a local bike shop. ($700 and up) Most bikers here wear biking shorts and jerseys. ($100)
I ride with the Sumter Landing Bike club 3 times week,30 miles each day.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doowop58 View Post
As mentioned there are different rider levels in the bike clubs. I would suggest starting in the social riders group (12 mph) and move up as you gain experience and get back in riding shape. You will need a bike helmet ($30 on line) Performance bike or Nashbar to start with. You may want to consider purchasing a used bike to begin with. Later on if you decide to stick with it you can purchase a new bike from a local bike shop. ($700 and up) Most bikers here wear biking shorts and jerseys. ($100)
I ride with the Sumter Landing Bike club 3 times week,30 miles each day.
Perfect!! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
brostholder , you sound like my wife and I. Can't wait to be able to ride our bikes again. We purchased E-ZIP bicycles made by Currie Technologies. The advantage of these are the 24 volt electric motor assist. You can pedal and the motor assist will help you as needed, or you can control the throttle as you need it. They are a little heavy, but are fun and the motor is great when you are tired and need a little help. Check out their web site for more details and specs. If you like what you see, shop around for the best price. We bought ours at Walmart Online during Christmas, got a great price plus free shipping to our home. They are a great value for the price.

http://www.currietech.com/
Thanks for the info! After doing some more research I think I am leaning towards a hybrid (sort of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike). I checked out the website and my wife is interested in the electric motor assist.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Gold member

Might want to check out a Cannondale Synapse. It is an entry level road bike and is built to absorb any bumps or roughness in the road and able to get some speed. Purchased one in May and have put close to 1000 miles on it and had an awesome time! The Mr. has had his Synapse for 6 years and has put on 10,000 and the bike still is like new! Definitely need the bike shorts, helmet and gloves.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Thanks for the info! After doing some more research I think I am leaning towards a hybrid (sort of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike). I checked out the website and my wife is interested in the electric motor assist.

If you want to do 12 MPH or more on a Hybred get a really light one with bald tires.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
If you want to do 12 MPH or more on a Hybred get a really light one with bald tires.

Wouldn't that be the same as a road bike?...LOL
Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 AM

I am going to get a E-Zip, so even on the days im not 100% I can still go riding and not have to worry about falling behind.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.