colony pool fiasco

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Menna View Post
twice now while swimming in colony pool i was forced to leave before the alloted time for swimmers . the aerobic people come into the pool, get in the pool, and proceed to walk in a circle. the current is so strong in the swimming lane that it forced three swimmers out of the pool swimming was impossible. the time was 8:30 a.m. our swim time is until 9:50. we all complained. i called pam henry who is in charge of the recreation dept. and she said she would talk to the people who work there and they would be told that although aerobic people can get into the pool earlier than scheduled class time they cannot do a controlled excercise that would make it impossible for the swimmers to swi.m. today it happened again. i got out of the swimming lane and talked to man and woman in charge of pool. they were extremely courteous and sympathetic to problem but they said they had not heard from pam henry (disappointment). they did ask the aerobic people to stop the circle walk. aerobic people have to respect our space and time. today they actually removed the lane ropes to get in that lane at 8:30 and then some of them went to our lanes, sat at edge of pool and let their feet and legs hang in water. one man wanted to get in lane to swim but thought he shouldn't as the ladies were hanging there legs over swim lane. aeorbic class people have to respect our space and time to swim as we respect theirs. please pass this information along to anyone who does aerobic excerise class as they are probably are unaware how their behaviour effects our swimming also a call to pam henry wouldn't hurt. pam henry can be reached at 352-674-1803. lets face it, the squeakly wheel gets the grease. i was also told to contact tracey at the colony pool. tracey can be reached at 352-750-1935. thank you in advance to anyone who can help in this matter. have a nice day!
Ray, thank you for posting. What you describe is totally accurate. I experienced the same thing at Colony a year or so ago, and have opted not to swim there for that reason. Another thing that has bugged me, is that oftentimes if there is combo swim, they have a large open area set aside for walkers, and 4 lanes set aside for lap swimmers. Then you get a couple of people taking up one of the lap lanes for walking, when they could be walking in the large area. Heck, you could have 20 people walking in one lane, they wouldn't affect each other, but a lap swimmer needs his/her own lane or can share with another swimmer going the same pace. Its getting harder and harder to find open lanes for lap swimming, and I agree, it would be wonderful to have an indoor pool for those who can't be out in the sun for various reasons. You would think a community of our size, close to 100,000 people, could support such an enterprise.

Sorry, I just had to vent!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

But even with indoor you need a separate lap lane...or the same problem will happen...our gym has separate lanes in another pool just for lap
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The problem with getting an...um...strong willed person to follow the rules here short of arresting them is reeeeealy challenging.

I am pretty sure that the powers that be and the folks behind the curtain could strong arm people to NOT save chairs and keep out of the pool, but they don't. I wouldn't either if I were them. Can't you just see what would happen if someone was removed from a pool?

It is sad and frustrating beyond description to hear you all tell of yet another situation where some people are behaving selfishly without a respectful attitude toward what other people came there to do. This me,me,me, uncaring attitude is a shock to me every time I see it. I am from Ohio.

You cannot legislate kindness.

This whole thing sounds pretty hopeless and will soon get terribly worse with the advent of the high season.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyarbie View Post
I go to SeaBreeze on Tues.and Thur. at 0900 for a Aqua Zumba class. We are distributed tickets in line for the class and are not admitted to the pool so that the lap swimmers can finish their time before us. No one likes to stand in line but this is a good way to fair to everyone.

Amen. This lap swimmer thanks you for being so understanding. I don't think people are intentionally being nasty--perhaps it's just a lack of sensitivity. Many folks who swim laps do so because they cannot run, play pickleball, etc. because of physical limitations. So they need their pool time. Even if that's not the case, all--swimmers and walkers--should be respected.

Sounds like Laurel Manor has met the challenge and, maybe, Seabreeze as well (?) now.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum member
Default The Facts Jack at Colony Pool

On September 9th at 0850 hours yours truly got EVERYONES attention at Colony Pool....all 85 of them....I said "Don't shoot the messenger but we've had complaints from swimmers about the current that is caused from everyone walking in a circle....you are now asked to walk back & forth in a straight line to try to prevent this problem for the swimmers....and by all means do not get in their lanes nor impede their progress."

This happens every year....and is at its pinnacle in the heat of the summer WHEN THERE"S 85 PEOPLE IN THE POOL. There's no way of being adult about this. You've got complainers on both sides that come to me and claim I KNOW SO & SO and can really make it bad for you. Yeah threat towards me. Frankly my dear......We're volunteers that provide a service for all that want to get/stay active & vertical. Some of you that have posted on here know me. I'm always available to listen to reason...BUT....there's his story, her story, then the truth.....

Swimmers - I don't understand why you come to a pool and complain about swimming when you're obviously there to exercise. Lets go for a relaxing swim? You relax afterwards.

Walkers - First of all not ALL walkers prior to water aerobics STAY for water aerobics so lets let OTHERS share the blame too. Secondly I don't understand why you come to a pool and walk 20/30 minutes prior to water aerobics and then stand around during the program when much of the time the only thing that's moving are your lips. You know who you are.

Finally if you wait 2 months pool attendance will drop dramatically....WHAT you say...but the Snowbirds will be arriving....and so will cooler temps....and with that reduces both walkers & swimmers. I've had as few as 12 in Feb in attendance....no swimmers. Some instructors refuse to go out if the ambient temp is below 60.

As I previously mentioned....there's no adult way to handle this so suck it up and get over it....you're in The Villages enjoying, or at least should be, all the greatness this place has to offer. Just remember....put yourself in the other persons shoes. You might be receiving a number outside the gate awaiting entry....that is if you have gotten there early enough to receive a number lower than 85.

And for the swimmers who like to walk in an "stake their lanes" by laying down their towels at the edge of the pool prior to the end of water aerobics....do you save seats in the front row to see Rocky & The Rollers? That's what I thought. Shame on you.

At NO time are the lanes removed prior to 10 min before the hour....at least by the clock that's hanging on the post.....we don't go by your watch....

Upon completion of water aerobics the participants replace the lanes for the next ????? If you swimmers want to move the process along and HELP, I'm sure all concerned would be appreciative.

C Ya Monday and like Meryl says SMILE

Steve AKA The Terminator
Mondays Instructor
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
On September 9th at 0850 hours yours truly got EVERYONES attention at Colony Pool....all 85 of them....I said "Don't shoot the messenger but we've had complaints from swimmers about the current that is caused from everyone walking in a circle....you are now asked to walk back & forth in a straight line to try to prevent this problem for the swimmers....and by all means do not get in their lanes nor impede their progress."

This happens every year....and is at its pinnacle in the heat of the summer WHEN THERE"S 85 PEOPLE IN THE POOL. There's no way of being adult about this. You've got complainers on both sides that come to me and claim I KNOW SO & SO and can really make it bad for you. Yeah threat towards me. Frankly my dear......We're volunteers that provide a service for all that want to get/stay active & vertical. Some of you that have posted on here know me. I'm always available to listen to reason...BUT....there's his story, her story, then the truth.....

Swimmers - I don't understand why you come to a pool and complain about swimming when you're obviously there to exercise. Lets go for a relaxing swim? You relax afterwards.

Walkers - First of all not ALL walkers prior to water aerobics STAY for water aerobics so lets let OTHERS share the blame too. Secondly I don't understand why you come to a pool and walk 20/30 minutes prior to water aerobics and then stand around during the program when much of the time the only thing that's moving are your lips. You know who you are.

Finally if you wait 2 months pool attendance will drop dramatically....WHAT you say...but the Snowbirds will be arriving....and so will cooler temps....and with that reduces both walkers & swimmers. I've had as few as 12 in Feb in attendance....no swimmers. Some instructors refuse to go out if the ambient temp is below 60.

As I previously mentioned....there's no adult way to handle this so suck it up and get over it....you're in The Villages enjoying, or at least should be, all the greatness this place has to offer. Just remember....put yourself in the other persons shoes. You might be receiving a number outside the gate awaiting entry....that is if you have gotten there early enough to receive a number lower than 85.

And for the swimmers who like to walk in an "stake their lanes" by laying down their towels at the edge of the pool prior to the end of water aerobics....do you save seats in the front row to see Rocky & The Rollers? That's what I thought. Shame on you.

At NO time are the lanes removed prior to 10 min before the hour....at least by the clock that's hanging on the post.....we don't go by your watch....

Upon completion of water aerobics the participants replace the lanes for the next ????? If you swimmers want to move the process along and HELP, I'm sure all concerned would be appreciative.

C Ya Monday and like Meryl says SMILE

Steve AKA The Terminator
Mondays Instructor
Hahaha.......

I hate it when you hold back like that!

*waving* Miss you Steve!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I am so excited about the continued build out and now we are going to add Fruitland Park.....Kool Can wait for more good news: popcorn:
Old 09-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Sage

What Steve said is all correct. It also illustrates that there are not enough sport-pool hours to accommodate everyone who needs to use them.

I don't see why hours are not added by installing in-pool lights and a few spotlights on the deck shining down into the pool, to allow for evening swimming after dusk. This would help people who cannot be out in the direct sun, too, who are many.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
What Steve said is all correct. It also illustrates that there are not enough sport-pool hours to accommodate everyone who needs to use them.

I don't see why hours are not added by installing in-pool lights and a few spotlights on the deck shining down into the pool, to allow for evening swimming after dusk. This would help people who cannot be out in the direct sun, too, who are many.
Agreed. Either that or open @ 5 or 6 am rather than 7. I know...but lap swimmers are largely early birds which is why enough lap lines often aren't available at 7. And, yes, avoiding sun is way at the top of my list, too. Additional hours on either end would help a lot.

there's also the issue, and I hate to bring this up, of college swim class where I have seen a class of 8 or 10 have exclusive use of the entire Seabreeze pool when they need to huddle in less than a quarter of the pool to hold class and hear the instructor. Swimmers, who want to use the unused laps and not in any way disrupt the class, are told they can't swim.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Whether it is dogs, pools, golf carts or any other issue it is all about consideration and kindness. I swim laps, play water volleyball, and attend water aerobics at Colony, SeaBreeze and Lake Miona. I have been able to discontinue medications due to all the activity which I could never do on land due to injuries. Today at Colony the situation was much better. I swam laps from 8 to 8:50, then did Steve's class. Excellent instructor and a very kind individual. I have been in the pool when Water Volleyball people have had all the nets out and people standing at the ends to unhook the lines at quarter of the hour, people standing at the end of the lap lanes or cutting across the lanes at before ten of the hour while you are trying to swim, and today Steve was giving announcements and people were talking. How hard is it to be quiet and pay attention to the volunteer leader for less than five minutes. The only solution to these problems are cooperation and consideration, which thank goodness almost everyone is. Only a few people think it is all about them and they can ruin it for everyone. At Miona and Seabreeze you must wait outside and are issued tickets to play watervolleyball. I can guess why that policy was put into place. We live in a beautiful place with great sparkling clean pools and instead of making it unpleasant it is very easy to cooperate and be considerate. Thanks to all the volunteers who try to make this a great place to live and stay healthy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.