a shout-out "Thank You" to this Canadian...

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Gold member
Default a shout-out "Thank You" to this Canadian...

P.K. Subban, a Canadian NHL hockey player, has said that he "will continue to stand, respect, and sing along with the US National Anthem" at the start of all hockey games. Subban plays for the Nashville Predators.
Subban performed at a fundraiser on Tuesday night at Zanies Comedy Club in Nashville, to benefit Comedy Cares. He told the audience that he would “never” take a knee during the national anthem, because he has too much respect for the American flag.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:08 PM

You are so very right. He was never one of my favourite hockey players but as a man he is a fine example of what more athletes should be. He donated 10 million dollars to the hospital in Montreal when he played there and has followed up in Nashville by being very generous.

I also am a proud Canadian who is so very happy with his stance concerning the National Anthem. He chooses to respect the flag of the USA and could use other methods to voice his concerns.

Like him more today that yesterday.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douga View Post
You are so very right. He was never one of my favourite hockey players but as a man he is a fine example of what more athletes should be. He donated 10 million dollars to the hospital in Montreal when he played there and has followed up in Nashville by being very generous.

I also am a proud Canadian who is so very happy with his stance concerning the National Anthem. He chooses to respect the flag of the USA and could use other methods to voice his concerns.

Like him more today that yesterday.
Thank you, Douga, for your informative comment regarding this hockey player. Question: why are hockey players, both professional and amateur, so exceptional as fine athletes. Does the NCAA give place these athletes on a pedestal that falls apart the moment they leave college? Do hockey players work so very hard to develop their skills and understand more than others that "success" can be fleeting? I know that in Canada and Europe youngsters who have promise as hockey players often agree to live in "strangers" homes far from their own. I knew some NHL players who were told as youngsters that if they did not follow the rules of their "Host Family" OR if they embarrassed the team they played with, they would be sent home and any chance of a professional career was over.
I guess they know that the world doesn't revolve around THEM.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:40 PM

So true...we billeted young Cornwall royal players as young as 15 years old and they were far away from home. They won the memorial cup as best team of junior age in all of Canada ..got to meet and enjoy these young men who would never ever think of doing something to embarrass the team or themselves..players like hall of fame members Doug Gilmour and Dale Hawerchuck were often at our home and were fine young gentlemen like others who were trying to chase their dreams. Never were these ever pampered or thought they should be pampered..
Closed Thread

Tags
subban, anthem, respect, national, hockey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.