Did you have to (or want to) change your loyalties?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Most devoted fans are just that -- devoted. Casual fans may change loyalties to an area team, or because they like the uniforms or the mascot, or because Payton Manning changed teams, etc. But, most fans are emotionally invested in their teams and, in the case of college athletics, may be an alumnus, thus fixing the loyalty deep in their souls. I played baseball at the University of Missouri and will always be a Tiger. Growing up in the Kansas City area, I am a fan of the Chiefs and Royals and have been through many moves, and despite their repeated efforts to tear my heart out and stomp on it. The one exception is when your team leaves - when charlie finley (can't capitalize his name) took my beloved a's (can't capitalize it) to oakland (can't capitalize the town), I developed a hatred for what had been my favorite team and favorite players that lasts to this day.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We moved around a lot-- Milwaukee to Reno to Scottsdale to Rohnert Park (Santa Rosa, CA area) to Palm Harbor to the Villages. And so did I-- Provo, UT; Denver, CO; Belmont, CA; Minneapolis, MN; and Itasca, IL. Working my way through school with 4 degrees at 5 schools.

So, I have trouble feeling stong loyalties to sports teams. Most of my family and friends were Da Bears/Cubs/Bulls/Blackhawk fans. Had to root for these teams when surrounded by dozens of family members in Itasca (near Medinah CC).
You probably never developed a strong loyalty to any particular team. No disrespect intended. Some people either don't like sports or like sports without having a favorite team. I'm that way with NASCAR. I enjoy racing but really don't care who wins.
I'm obviously a long suffering Jets fan but I like the Giants too. I've been a Yankees fan all my life, where ever we've lived.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Most devoted fans are just that -- devoted. Casual fans may change loyalties to an area team, or because they like the uniforms or the mascot, or because Payton Manning changed teams, etc. But, most fans are emotionally invested in their teams and, in the case of college athletics, may be an alumnus, thus fixing the loyalty deep in their souls. I played baseball at the University of Missouri and will always be a Tiger. Growing up in the Kansas City area, I am a fan of the Chiefs and Royals and have been through many moves, and despite their repeated efforts to tear my heart out and stomp on it. The one exception is when your team leaves - when charlie finley (can't capitalize his name) took my beloved a's (can't capitalize it) to oakland (can't capitalize the town), I developed a hatred for what had been my favorite team and favorite players that lasts to this day.
Ed, just remember that the Athletics started in Philly and broke Philadelphians' hearts when they left there to go to KC (and the Royals will always be my #1 baseball team). And it is hard to like Finley regardless of where he was, but he was an amateur compared to what Davis did to the Traitors.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
You probably never developed a strong loyalty to any particular team. No disrespect intended. Some people either don't like sports or like sports without having a favorite team. I'm that way with NASCAR. I enjoy racing but really don't care who wins.
I'm obviously a long suffering Jets fan but I like the Giants too. I've been a Yankees fan all my life, where ever we've lived.
Probably right. I did enjoy the Forty Niners win of the XIX Super Bowl (1985) over the Dolphins when they had it at Stanford Stadium. The local communities went wild with excitement. Same with when the Twins won their World Series while I was there in Minneapolis.

When I went to Timberwolves games though while in Minneapolis I was more interested in watching the cheerleaders than the players.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We moved around a lot-- Milwaukee to Reno to Scottsdale to Rohnert Park (Santa Rosa, CA area) to Palm Harbor to the Villages. And so did I-- Provo, UT; Denver, CO; Belmont, CA; Minneapolis, MN; and Itasca, IL. Working my way through school with 4 degrees at 5 schools.

So, I have trouble feeling stong loyalties to sports teams. Most of my family and friends were Da Bears/Cubs/Bulls/Blackhawk fans. Had to root for these teams when surrounded by dozens of family members in Itasca (near Medinah CC).
Taltarzac, Itasca is almost in my back yard. I'm just hoping the Cubs do something some year. My dad is 82, and he has been a Cubs fan all his life, but I don't know if the Cubs can pull it together in time for my dad to see something like a World Series appearance by the Cubs. Even if I do move to TV someday, I will still be a fan of Chicago's teams.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.