Disputed Offside Call on US vs Iran

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
In essence, rolling substitution is in effect at the high levels as extra time is tracked by the fourth referee for substitutions, injuries and score celebrations.
The offside rule has been amended by FIFA a couple times over the past 25 years in an attempt to increase scoring. IMHO, what you are witnessing the tournament is the development of national football programs around the globe so there is no longer a huge gap between the elite country programs and others. The athleticism and understanding of how to play the game at a high level is amazing.
If only they would encourage more scoring. 0-0 and 1-1 games just do not do it for me.

Sorry
Old 12-01-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Couple of fine points. The two defenders are any 2 and does not require that one be a goalie, although almost always the goalie is back. And the offsides rule is only applied when the ball is passed not when it is received.

IMO they ought to scrap the rule. It would open up play and more scoring which all fans enjoy. Maybe something like hockey's blue line where the ball must cross before the player 25 yards out.
VAR is causing microscopic offside-problems in hockey when coaches CAN challenge a goal when the infraction is unrelated and had no effect on play.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I am not a fan nor expert in Soccer, but my son played in kids soccer about 50 years ago. My recollection was that Offside was when an Offensive player was closer to the goal than any defensive player and the ball was kicked to him from behind. Even though he waited for the ball to pass him before he touched it, I thought it was offside. That was what was called today as offside but some are calling that a bad call in the IRAN US game.

Any experts here?
I coached youth level, high school level, premier club level (including a state championship team) and still consider myself a “student” of the game, and no expert. I read through all the responses to this question and IMO, some were partly correct, some incomplete, and some responses used imprecise words e.g. (ball) “passed” instead of correct word “played” (as the ball does not have to be passed to be played).

There are important exceptions to the offside rule and nuances to it; and the final authority is ALWAYS the referee, not the rule book. Soccer 101. World Cup matches now have great technology, and video reviews available to the referee in real time to get it right. Well done! A very good explanation of the offside rule can be found at the following source. The club explanation is thorough and provides good explanations on the exceptions to the rule. Go USA!!
Understanding FIFA Law 11: Offside
Old 12-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Sexism and denigration of women is so funny. Ha Ha
I know a good proctologist who can remove that stick for you...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
I know a good proctologist who can remove that stick for you...
What if one needs to have it put back in? Asking for a friend.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:24 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Interesting no beer. No beer fewer drunks, fights etc. But this also equals less incomes. I am not a follower of this sport but wonder about concussions from the headers? Amazing how players can generate so much speed and distance from a header in this game.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:33 PM

I guess the offsides rule is to prevent "Goal-hanging" by the offense, but I'd like to see them play with only that rule being applicable inside the box and not outside.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:42 PM

So great to see all this soccer talk! I think the introduction of computer assistance (VAR) on significant calls is great. This removes possible erroneous judgement calls from the Ref. (Would love to see this for baseball ball and strike calls.) I appreciate the challenge of how difficult it is to score goals, but I agree that it would probably make the game more attractive to open things up to allow more scoring. Go USA!!!
Old 12-02-2022, 08:24 AM

When the player in an offsides position touches the ball is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is where that player is at when the ball is kicked to him or her.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:25 AM

The real action at a soccer game is in the stands…..
Old 12-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

To me they’re mad about it because it wasn’t in their favor. But if the shoe was on the other foot it would of been OK. That’s sports for you!
Old 12-02-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Problem is, they'll call penalties on things that happened in the LAST World Cup!

Or, they'll hold up a Yellow card and say, "You know what you did!"

Last World Cup! They should be that lucky. Probably more like the last 10 World Cups!
Closed Thread

Tags
offside, player, ball, soccer, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.