Fort Ord Golf Courses

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Default Fort Ord Golf Courses

Any Fort Ord golfers out there?

My son is attending the Defense Language Institute in Monterey and I'd really like to go visit him. I was stationed at Fort Ord twice (the last time in the late 70's) and loved the golf courses, especially Bayonet. Any trip to Monterey would have to include some golf.

I know the Fort Ord compound is largely civilianized now but am wondering about the golf courses. It looks like they're still open but do they have any special deals for active duty or retired military folks?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Sage

Last time I went to Ft. Ord, the courses were now the property of Seaside. They had a break for military residing in the greater Monterey area, but outside that, it was pretty expensive to play. I used to play those courses in the 70's when I was stationed in the Bay area for less than $15, but it was going to cost me almost $100 to play around 1995.

The courses looked to be in terrific shape. They have used Bayonet for PGA Tour Q school a couple of times.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks Mike - I recall paying as little as $6 at one time. That might have been for Black Horse but I'm not sure about that. I know it was hard to get a decent tee time on Bayonet much of the time so I played Black Horse more often.

I think it was maybe the 13th on Bayonet that played over 600 yards back then but with a huge green and very little trouble on the approach. That's the longest hole I've ever played.

It sounds like I'll be leaving my clubs at home though. $100 + to play there just wouldn't seem right.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Info on pricing and contact telephone numbers here:

Bayonet/Blackhorse Golf Coupon & Course Review - Fort Ord, CA
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage

Looks like there are some deals.

Yes that par 5 is something. Downhill, but plays like it's uphill. When I played there, the fairways were common bermuda and you got no roll. One day, against the wind, my third shot was a fairway wood, after hitting two solid shots to get there.

I always wondered how they could give the courses away when they were built and maintained by MWR funds.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.