Is Golf Dying?

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Don't you remember the good old days of golf? The first time my dad took me, it was a new game for him too, I was twelve. I used my own money to buy the most ridiculous clothes I could find in the sports department at Two Guys Department store so I wouldn't look conspicuous. I bought brown and white paisley pants and a brown golf shirt. I can still remember it. [I guess that was back then and not now.]
Are you Ricky Fowler?
Old 09-25-2015, 01:31 PM

As per golf business talk, golf is to expensive for the average family and (3-4] golf courses close each month in the usa now.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandy View Post
As per golf business talk, golf is to expensive for the average family and (3-4] golf courses close each month in the usa now.
I think you're right. I figured it costs about $700 per month to play 18 hole golf in TV about 4 times per week. But, after all, it is expensive to run a golf course.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I think you're right. I figured it costs about $700 per month to play 18 hole golf in TV about 4 times per week. But, after all, it is expensive to run a golf course.
At least. At 4x/week = 208 rounds/year, given 22 weeks of summer rate, 13 weeks of fall rate and 17 weeks of winter rates, and playing equally on all 12 courses, you get to 522.35/month. That is the priority rate, resident rate would be 1980 more/year or 165/ month, but I doubt anyone would do that---just figure 925/year=77.08/month for priority membership. That's 599.43 month for greens fees for 1 person.
But.....
are you married, does your spouse play--4x, 3x,1x?
if spouse plays: 1x------730.01/ month total greens fees and priority mem
2x------860.59
3x------991.17
4x------1121.75

If you don't own a cart, which is unlikely, add 2080---4160/ year cart rental depending on spouse play, so split it at 2x week=3120/year=260/month
Assuming you own your cart, what percentage of use is for golf vs transportation around TV. How much did it cost, what's the depreciation? What's it's lifespan---Let's say you bought new for a very reasonable 10K(LOL) and it "lives" 10 years--add 1,000/year , say 500 for golf use=41.67/month
Now a single golfer 4x/week = 641.10/ month and with a spouse also playing 4x/week =1163.42/ month

Now add investment in clubs and bag
How many of the 6 million/year lost golf balls each year in TV are yours
How long does your glove last?
Re-grip clubs yearly?
Lessons from a pro?
Range balls?
And for many, cost to fill cart cooler with beer
And for some, cost of psychotherapy to help deal with the game

Not cheap, especially for those on a marginal fixed income or for millennials
But still cheaper than say skiing 4x/week year round on say 12 different mountains. Cheaper than yachting. Much more expensive than shuffleboard
Old 09-26-2015, 04:58 AM
Sage

As to OP's original question, yes, golf is dying everywhere but the villages. We are on a pace to hit 3,000,000 rounds played this year. We had 1,800,000 a couple of months ago.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:43 AM

I used to sponsor golf games to promote business and to get the company to pay for my golf. Now I don't have time for some reason and it has become harder to get people to attend. When I offered the graduating students at the local college a day for free golf, food and prizes they would line up. It started to become harder and harder to get students to attend. The older customers don't seem to have the time they used to and the younger people just don't seem to want to socialize like they used to. I do think the economy has a lot to do with the decline. Dead or dying no just not as popular now.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Sage

I'm not sure it's dying but I know when it was born?

google Robin Williams on Golf [full version]

It's Robin Williams being Robin Williams, not Mork, so the language my not be suitable for all adults.

Last edited by tomwed; 09-26-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts
Default Kids like team sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Years View Post
I used to sponsor golf games to promote business and to get the company to pay for my golf. Now I don't have time for some reason and it has become harder to get people to attend. When I offered the graduating students at the local college a day for free golf, food and prizes they would line up. It started to become harder and harder to get students to attend. The older customers don't seem to have the time they used to and the younger people just don't seem to want to socialize like they used to. I do think the economy has a lot to do with the decline. Dead or dying no just not as popular now.
Although golf can be a team sport it is still very much an individual sport. Our grand kids had the opportunity to "grow up" in a country club setting and played junior golf but none of the four play golf today. Our oldest was really pretty good but tells me "Grandpa, I just don't have time".

As one who didn't have the opportunity to play golf until much later in life, It really "puzzles" me why kids today (with few exceptions) have the opportunity to play the game just flat out don't. Perhaps they will later in life they will have more time and interest?

One bright spot for golf is Asia. Golf is thriving in parts of Asia as seen on the PGA and LPGA tours. The LPGA tour is dominated by great Asian players.

Retirees here in The Villages love their golf and we have lots of time to play. Golf as a sport and past time is certainly thriving here. Fore!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Sage

The Villages Florida
Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Golf Dying?

In Cincinnati we had par three courses and County Park courses that made golf more economically and physically accessible for all ages. They were usually packed. They had country clubs (the old kind) that were by membership and that was pricey. I could see them going out of business. A lot of people don't need all the social aspects of a country club to enjoy being there.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 09-27-2015, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
At least. At 4x/week = 208 rounds/year, given 22 weeks of summer rate, 13 weeks of fall rate and 17 weeks of winter rates, and playing equally on all 12 courses, you get to 522.35/month. That is the priority rate, resident rate would be 1980 more/year or 165/ month, but I doubt anyone would do that---just figure 925/year=77.08/month for priority membership. That's 599.43 month for greens fees for 1 person.
But.....
are you married, does your spouse play--4x, 3x,1x?
if spouse plays: 1x------730.01/ month total greens fees and priority mem
2x------860.59
3x------991.17
4x------1121.75

If you don't own a cart, which is unlikely, add 2080---4160/ year cart rental depending on spouse play, so split it at 2x week=3120/year=260/month
Assuming you own your cart, what percentage of use is for golf vs transportation around TV. How much did it cost, what's the depreciation? What's it's lifespan---Let's say you bought new for a very reasonable 10K(LOL) and it "lives" 10 years--add 1,000/year , say 500 for golf use=41.67/month
Now a single golfer 4x/week = 641.10/ month and with a spouse also playing 4x/week =1163.42/ month

Now add investment in clubs and bag
How many of the 6 million/year lost golf balls each year in TV are yours
How long does your glove last?
Re-grip clubs yearly?
Lessons from a pro?
Range balls?
And for many, cost to fill cart cooler with beer
And for some, cost of psychotherapy to help deal with the game

Not cheap, especially for those on a marginal fixed income or for millennials
But still cheaper than say skiing 4x/week year round on say 12 different mountains. Cheaper than yachting. Much more expensive than shuffleboard
You forgot the $700,000 for the house you bought to become a resident so you could buy the membership. Now I really feel sick....
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
You forgot the $700,000 for the house you bought to become a resident so you could buy the membership. Now I really feel sick....
Gee, thanks. Now that you reminded me of what my house cost, I'm sick as well....at least it was a bit under 700K, but then again, by the same premise, we should add the bond in as well
Old 09-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Gee, thanks. Now that you reminded me of what my house cost, I'm sick as well....at least it was a bit under 700K, but then again, by the same premise, we should add the bond in as well
Not to mention the $500 golf cart speeding tickets you get trying to make your tee time....
Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default People in their 20's and 30's work too much

I read somewhere that young people today average a 50 hour work week. If you add in the cost of play and time for family and other things they just don't have a lot of time. My son and his friends work 10 to 12 hour days 5 days a week and sometimes a half day on Sat. That doesn't leave time for a life let alone golf. He has clubs etc but makes it out only about 6 times a year. You don't really get into the game if you only play on vacation. Plus I think the guys in marriages now share the child rearing more than in the past as a lot of women work so no off with the guys playing golf every Sunday as was the norm when I was young.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Sage

I always thought they were called executive course because executives don't have much time.

I thought these would catch on all over.

Maybe if there were professional executive course golfers [PEGA] then maybe exec courses would catch on. Make the greens very small. Make the rough very long. Fit 4 exec courses in the space of an 18 reg course.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, dying, years, one-third, sounds, america, ago, jupiter, fla, foundation, national, consulting, firm, olds, played, million, year, 18-34, generation, rounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.