Has an Ice Rink Ever Been Considered?

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2021, 08:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,180 Times in 761 Posts

I moved here to escape the cold, don't need ice to remind me....
Old 08-07-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnhead View Post
Has there ever been consideration of an ice rink in The Villages? I know there are hockey players and some ice dancers here. I was wondering if there had ever been any attempts to facilitate a rink.
With the hockey players going to Maitland, I was wondering if there is interest in trying to get a facility up here. I believe that the local high schools might show an interest in joining as they could benefit from learn-to-skate, hockey and curling activities.
Any thoughts on this matter, or any prior history is greatly appreciated.
Only ice we need in The Villages is for our drinks.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:12 AM

Only outdoor rinks allowed
Old 08-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

A resident only skateboarding park would be cheaper and I'm sure the local orthopedic medical community, would contribute to build it. I want the rental protective equipment (knee pads, hip pads, gloves, helmets, etc.) concession though. lol
Old 08-07-2021, 05:29 PM

The oldest competitor at the US Figure Skating Adult Nationals is 86. Maybe we can get a rep in TV to challenge that. In the mean time, I’ll keep driving to Maitland but I won’t give up hope.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

It’s so sad people think because you move to TV you are too old to enjoy something that you were involved most of your life..

Ice is only slippery if you aren’t on skates, cold only sets in if you are not moving.

We owned hockey pro shops. So countless hours at the shops, and kids traveling teams. Both our boys started skating at 3yo. Came up in the ranks played at the Nationals, then college. Oldest was drafted by Chicago, and coaches girls college team. Both refereed from age of 12 and still skate.

Our daughter started skating at 2, and played hockey until she switched to travel fast pitch softball, at 10

In the summer when the pros were off, we got together for weekly games. Ted Lindsay was on the ice with us until a few years before his death. So old really doesn’t come in the mix.

I was President of MAHA referees of MI for over 20 years. Skated on average 25 hours or more a week. Ice is different in Florida than in the northern states. At last count there were 17 Indoor hockey rinks in Florida. Outdoor does not work well in the south.

However for a rink to survive you need youth hockey, thru high school, and sell 16 hours of ice per day.

Last edited by thelegges; 08-07-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:37 PM
Default Ice skating

I do not skate, nor due I want to start. However, it gets old that this site seems to have people that answer, that must be snarky, sarcastic, or they think they are funny.
This is a legitimate idea, there must be an organization as part of the villages organization that could hear this idea, measure the need, cost, amount of participation, and than decide if it is needed.
Not decided by people that are not interested in anything that they do not do themselves.
Give any idea a fair chance, that will make the community as a whole a better place.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Christmas at Gaylord Palms | A Holiday Season Tradition in Florida

If you are missing the ice in the winter and do not want to travel north give the Gaylord Palms Ice shows in Orlando a chance.

A bunch of us Lynnhaven neighbors went about ten years ago around mid- December. You will need a heavy coat, wool socks and gloves.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:17 AM

Well, an ice rink may be too expensive but how about a floor hockey rink? Very cheap to build and maintain and it's great exercise. We have so many people from up north I'll bet we could get a league going. Let's start with something easy and work our way up to an ice rink...in a few years.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Default ICE Rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnhead View Post
Has there ever been consideration of an ice rink in The Villages? I know there are hockey players and some ice dancers here. I was wondering if there had ever been any attempts to facilitate a rink.
With the hockey players going to Maitland, I was wondering if there is interest in trying to get a facility up here. I believe that the local high schools might show an interest in joining as they could benefit from learn-to-skate, hockey and curling activities.
Any thoughts on this matter, or any prior history is greatly appreciated.
Boy, I bet you're happy you asked this question. The only rink I ever saw in Florida was in the Clearwater Mall and that was years ago. You just put the coals on the fire for all the comedians on this site.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Boy, I bet you're happy you asked this question. The only rink I ever saw in Florida was in the Clearwater Mall and that was years ago. You just put the coals on the fire for all the comedians on this site.
There is an ice rink in Orlando. I've been there.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
There is an ice rink in Orlando. I've been there.
The Orlando Solar Bears of the ECHL (AA hockey) play at the Amway Center. Some teams have post-game skates after Sunday matinee games. Check that out if you have the urge to lace up the blades.
Closed Thread

Tags
ice, rink, hockey, interest, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.