Irritating Golf Fan shouts

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Whats to Blame

I served as a Marshall for many years at the Buick Open in Westchester County and also at the US Open when it was held at Wingfoot. The source of much of the shouting and bad behavior is the beer and liquor that is served in the hospitality tents and in the Club House to Club House ticket holders. One spectator was so loud and screaming that the well known pro player went over to him off the 18th tee and was going to hit him. We stopped him along with the other pro playing with him. It was the booze that was driving it. The 2 spectators involved were thrown off the course by the NY State Trooper.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I agree. BABA BOOEY !. HIT EM WITH THE HINE !
Love it!!!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:53 AM
Sage

I read that one of Earl's father son training sessions included Earl throwing balled up sox at Tiger while he was swinging. This helped Tiger to focus. I can't find the video but there is one out there of Tiger stopping a club moments be fore it makes impact so he can reload.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I served as a Marshall for many years at the Buick Open in Westchester County and also at the US Open when it was held at Wingfoot. The source of much of the shouting and bad behavior is the beer and liquor that is served in the hospitality tents and in the Club House to Club House ticket holders. One spectator was so loud and screaming that the well known pro player went over to him off the 18th tee and was going to hit him. We stopped him along with the other pro playing with him. It was the booze that was driving it. The 2 spectators involved were thrown off the course by the NY State Trooper.
Such a gentleman's game. Did this "pro" also throw his club after an errant shot that was surely the blame of an arrogant spectator ?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
They got off easy. In Philly, at Vet Stadium the officers don't take any **** and bring you to a judge located in Vet Stadium where you are tried and sentenced right then and there.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Such a gentleman's game. Did this "pro" also throw his club after an errant shot that was surely the blame of an arrogant spectator ?

I still say pro golfers are among the best behaved professional athletes in todays world. I know we can cite many incidents of bad behavior, but overall when I think of golf I think of guys like Nicklaus.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-24-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down To Clarify

To clarify the point I made regarding the Westchester Buick Tournament. It was Gregg Norman who was confronting the drunken spectator and it was Fred Couples who pitched in and told him to walk on which he did as Fred just ignored the idiot drunks as the cops took them away. It is the ability to drink booze with essentially no controls that screws up a lot of good tournaments. We miss Gregg
Old 07-24-2018, 03:30 PM

Ian Polter was talking on Feherity about an instance in Tampa where a rowdy fan was hollering mercilessly. Later the fan tweeted it was he that did it and gleefully took full credit for the fluffed shots. Polter tweeted back to him about it. It was later discovered this fan was a Golf Coach at a local college. When the school found out about it the coach was fired.In retrospect Polter admitted he wished he hadn't reponded .
Old 07-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
To clarify the point I made regarding the Westchester Buick Tournament. It was Gregg Norman who was confronting the drunken spectator and it was Fred Couples who pitched in and told him to walk on which he did as Fred just ignored the idiot drunks as the cops took them away. It is the ability to drink booze with essentially no controls that screws up a lot of good tournaments. We miss Gregg
It appears Fred was the gentleperson.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I still say pro golfers are among the best behaved professional athletes in todays world. I know we can cite many incidents of bad behavior, but overall when I think of golf I think of guys like Nicklaus.
John Daly, Rory Sabatini, Steve Elkington, Dustin Johnson, and Tiger Woods also come to mind.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Had To Reply

I was not going to send anymore notes on this subject but had to respond. It is unfair to the good and kind Pro Golfer's to put Tiger on the same list. Good to the fans were Jack Nickalus, Tom Watson,Ben Crenshaw,Fred Couples, Arnold Palmer, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Paynme Stewart. Tome Kite, Lee Trevino, Vijay Singh.Davis Love. and some I probably forgot. I could not put Ray Floydd,or Tiger Woods in the same category. Jack, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer, Lee, etc etc. would wait for long times to make sure they signed all the autographs and talk to the children.
Closed Thread

Tags
times, yell, fan, open, beverages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.