Irritating Golf Fan shouts

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Irritating Golf Fan shouts

How many are irritated with the continual "fan" yelling during and just after shots? Vote YES for me.

Seems to be escalating. Sure, part of the 'job' for the pros, but again IMO getting worse. Seems that many tour broadcasts now need to employ a delay or ready the audio bleep button. Perhaps a sign of the times $@%#!!, and adult beverages, and to yell out for their friends to ID them on TV. Oh, for the old times when "In the hole" was all we'd hear...

re Tiger, short video and yell during Open>

Tiger Woods wasn'''t happy after a fan shouted during his backswing
Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Not me - these are professionals not primadonnas. Michael Jordan had to shoot foul shots at a clear glass backboard with thousands of fans waving towels and shouting. Why are golfers special ? One of the PGA favorite holes is the par 3 in Phoenix. I like the entertainment factor. The PGA better come up with something. Looks like Tiger is not going to be the goose that laid the golden egg anymore. Need the gimmick. Sure beats watching grass grow while those commentators say total nonsensical BS like that was a courageous shot, reminds us of Tiger in his prime.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Not me - these are professionals not primadonnas. Michael Jordan had to shoot foul shots at a clear glass backboard with thousands of fans waving towels and shouting. Why are golfers special ? One of the PGA favorite holes is the par 3 in Phoenix. I like the entertainment factor. The PGA better come up with something. Looks like Tiger is not going to be the goose that laid the golden egg anymore. Need the gimmick. Sure beats watching grass grow while those commentators say total nonsensical BS like that was a courageous shot, reminds us of Tiger in his prime.
I am aggravated with the bad manners from the fans. Golf is a gentlemen's (and gentlewomen's sport)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage

Every year I ran 9 hole a teacher's golf tournament. It was not serious. Some players only played this one time a year. I discovered and used the "woof" handicapped system. A high handicapper would get to yell 5 woofs. A low handicapper 1. Participants could yell woof anytime they wanted, in you backswing, at impact, putting. The strange thing is that when you expect someone to yell woof and they don't it screws up your shot just as often. It was a fun loving group, lot's of beer, lot's of laughs.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Every year I ran 9 hole a teacher's golf tournament. It was not serious. Some players only played this one time a year. I discovered and used the "woof" handicapped system. A high handicapper would get to yell 5 woofs. A low handicapper 1. Participants could yell woof anytime they wanted, in you backswing, at impact, putting. The strange thing is that when you expect someone to yell woof and they don't it screws up your shot just as often. It was a fun loving group, lot's of beer, lot's of laughs.
If it's a male only tournament, allowing two "gotcha's"...can also make things pretty interesting.

As for the fans yelling...yes it does get old.

As much as disliking the fan yelling in Tiger's backswing, I was ticked off watching the lady with the kid fussing in the stroller, right behind the player (forgot which one)..and wondered why she wasn't forced to move.

On the flip side and as a counter-argument, sometimes golfer's take the whole 'nothing but absolute silence' thing...too far.

In basketball, fans are allowed to yell/wave/disrupt free throw tries...which just makes the athlete have to concentrate even more.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 07-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

It's not basketball, it's golf. If they would just enforce with the quiet signs like The Masters it can still be done.
Hearing the fans yell is very aggravating and makes it unpleasant to watch on TV. (Yes, I know there is a mute button but I like the commentary and stats.)
When it first started it could've been nipped in the bud so easy. Throw a couple of these goons out and people will get the message real quick.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Golf fans have been and are...thrown out for yelling.

Then there's the Phoenix Open, of which very few players have been a baby about it and refused to enter...just because of the raucous crowds.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Fans yelling is getting out of control. Throw out the drunks.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Baba booeyyy!!!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Are the golf fans respectful when the PGA plays the national anthem before the start of a major ? NASCAR, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey fans appear to be!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am aggravated with the bad manners from the fans. Golf is a gentlemen's (and gentlewomen's sport)
Plus one! I echo the comments of another poster too, throw out the drunks!!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
...In basketball, fans are allowed to yell/wave/disrupt free throw tries...which just makes the athlete have to concentrate even more.
It takes no more concentration to ignore a crowd than one person. Just ask my spouse!

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Agree, the fans should respect the etiquette of the game.

When I play golf, for some reason noise does not bother me at all. However, movement is another thing. I tend to see anything that moves, bugs flying by, shadows when the sun is low, someone walking, etc... and that messes up the swing big time. Obviously the noise bothers Tiger.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

When that incident occured, the shot he played, and where the ball finished, was one of his best!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I agree. BABA BOOEY !. HIT EM WITH THE HINE !
Closed Thread

Tags
times, yell, fan, open, beverages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.