Men's National Soccer Team vs Spain

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Sage
Default Men's National Soccer Team vs Spain

US win 2-0!

Like US vs Russia in 1960 Olympics Hockey all over again.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/footba...es-284842.html

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Default Watched 2nf half...

WAY TO GO.....though a bit lucky.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Sage

Bring on Brasil!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Sage

I also saw the second half only.

But the Confederations cup does not have the same world stage as the Olympics so I don't think the comparison to hockey holds. If this had happened in the World cup then maybe.

Also, national soccer, even at the World Cup level is just not as good as the UEFA champions league or other club soccer championships. Those teams are basically all-star teams comprised of the best players from many nations.

But I do watch and they played well despite not dominating the play.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Sage

You should have seen the first half! It was more even and the US had many more trips into the Spanish 18 yd box.

The second half the US was bunkered down protecting their 1-0, and later 2-0, lead.

Which US club team is better than the US National Team?

Which Spanish club team is better than the Spanish National Team?

Which Brasilian club team is better than the Brasilian National Team?

etc, etc.

I'll retract the comparison to the 1960 Hockey game. Not enough US TV coverage of the Confederations Cup and not the World Cup. But don't tell the billions of soccer fans around the world that the US beating Spain, a team one win away from setting an all time record of 36 games in a row without a defeat and pass Brasil's record of 35, in a major FIFA tournament wasn't next to miraculous.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Which US club team is better than the US National Team?

Which Spanish club team is better than the Spanish National Team?

Which Brasilian club team is better than the Brasilian National Team?

etc, etc.

I would contend that Barcelona (who won this year's UEFA champions league as I'm sure you know) is better than the Spanish National team. They, Barcelona, have many Spanish National players plus players like Eto and Alverez and others who are the tops of their respective national teams.

The top end of almost every 'great' club team is comprised of select players from each of the countries therby making them almost undeniable better than their national teams. Players like Ronaldo (just bought by Real Madrid) don't stay to play for club teams in their native land. Of course I'm only speaking about the great club teams as currently construed (Barcelona, Man U, Chelsea, Madrid, maybe a couple of others).

This would not apply to any us club team since even the best US players (for the most part) don't play there if they can get into a European team.

Of course this is just my opinion as a soccer fan - I might be wrong!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Sage

On the Spanish team's starting roster for the US game there were three players from Barca.

There are only three or four "great" club teams and only three or four "great" national teams. I'll bet on the "great" national teams.

There are hundreds of division one club teams and twenty or so national teams in those countries. I'll bet on the national teams.

My opinion.

Last edited by chuckinca; 06-27-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

On the other side of the coin, the US team has been heavily criticized lately for being that 'bunch of all-stars without any chemistry'. I guess I've shared that sense while distressed at the lack of growth and cohesion in US soccer in recent years. But, holy cow! What got into those guys!?! It's NOT unlike 1980 hockey.

Next outing, I predict something a lot better than US 0, Brazil 3.
(pleassse!)
Old 06-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Sage

Brazil 3 - US 0 isn't the worst score in the world; it is after all BRAZIL!

That being said, a US win, which can happen against a top team like Brazil, Italy, Portugal, Spain etc every other year or so, would do wonders for the confidence of this US team, raise eyebrow's (again) in the established soccer communities, help US players with acceptance into more of the Division One Teams in Europe, and greatly increase the US fan's anticipation of next year's World Cup.

GO USA!

Last edited by chuckinca; 06-27-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Losing 3-2 against Brazil in the finals is a really good finish. Hopefully the team will take this as encouragement to work harder and move up to the next level.

I was disappointed in the way the team played under Bruce Arena - as I had always admired his work at UVA and in MLS and felt the team needed to succeed with an American coach at the helm.

Congrats to Coach Bradley and the team on pulling a 2nd place finish against strong opponents out of a shaky start.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Sage

No rest for the Men's team - Gold CUP tournament starts July 3rd

Per Wikipedia:

"The 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup will be the tenth edition of the Gold Cup competition, the association football championship of North America, Central America and the Caribbean (CONCACAF). It will be contested from July 3 to July 26, 2009 in the United States.[1] This competition will be the fourth tournament without guests from other confederations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Gold_Cup

The winner of the Gold Cup represents CONCACAF at the next edition of the Confederations Cup - the tournament just finished. Probably in 2011 since next year is World Cup in South Africa.

Last edited by chuckinca; 06-29-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
There are only three or four "great" club teams and only three or four "great" national teams. I'll bet on the "great" national teams..
Since it can never happen - the debate will rage on
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.