Nike

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Disrespect is one sided and angry because it is a negative word. I don’t believe all minority’s are disrespected and I don’t believe race should be a part of this discussion. This discussion should be about how you feel about a few ball players and Nike disrespecting the flag and servicemen.
How can race not be part of the discussion when the issue of racism is the very reason for the protests?

Furthermore, many veterans say that they enlisted in the armed services in order to help protect and defend the Constitutional right of Americans to their freedom of expression, whether or not they agree with the protest.

If you or I don't care for the kneeling, we don't have to watch it, nor do we have to buy Nike products. By the same token, individuals who recognize and/or sympathize with the reason for the protests, should not be vilified or condemned as anti-American. If you believe that only one point of view should be espoused as in totalitarian regimes, it can be argued that your views are unpatriotic, and anti-American.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
...The real concern should not be Nike's marketing campaign, but why in this great country so many people feel that the oppressions faced by minorities should be ignored...
Not liking NFL players taking a knee during the national anthem in no way means a person thinks oppression of any sort should be ignored.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Laces. Just do it. And don't forget to double knot so you don't trip.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:40 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Nike

Nike, they lost this consumer. There are a lot of competitors of theirs I will buy from now.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:02 AM

A very big part of Nike is kids shoes and clothes. Parents need to bite the bullet and "explain" to their kids that even tho their peers may have Nike our family will never buy Nike products again. There are going to be Nike clad classmates "from the other side" who have been "explained" that taking a knee is a good thing. Morals and Dedication has deteriorated in our Beautiful Country.
#NIKE SUFFERS
Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is so complicated. This whole thing. When a protest uses a much loved symbol and practice, many people are upset and confused.

Colin Kaepernick protested against the symbol of the United States, the flag and the anthem, because he believes that there are many arrests made by law enforcement officers that are unfair and racist. It was directed against what he and many believe to be widespread and wrong. He and many NFL players protested by doing an opposite action, (kneeling instead of standing) because they feel that many are profiled and killed by law enforcement officers across this land just because they are black.

Their anger and sadness are understandable, and this country is one that it is safe to protest and speak out.
If a person wanted change, this certainly could and did draw attention to the problem. However it also angered and upset people who were raised to be very patriotic and who were raised to respect the flag.

The other side felt the kneelers actions were inappropriate and offensive, even though many would agree with their sense of injustice. It also was hurtful to all of the law enforcement officers in this country who are fair and not racially biased and who behave fairly every day.

I think there is a time and a place for everything, but it seems all of those rules on how people should act in a socially acceptable way are being overthrown and challenged. I feel very uncomfortable about it. I am very glad that Rosa Parks rode that bus instead of involving the flag and the anthem.

In my opinion protesting is a right and a privilege and shouldn't break laws or disrespect the flag or the anthem.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I applaud Nike’s decision. Yes, it is a marketing ploy and a highly effective one. Methinks a lot more urban youths will be wearing Nike than ever before. But it is also a very telling message. Kaepernick really did lose his career for kneeling. To an athlete to not be able to play during the height of their ability is akin to a long, slow death. He felt he needed to get a message out. He could have simply made a statement that he did not mean to disrespect the anthem, the flag and our nation, and would not kneel again, and all would have been forgiven. He didn’t.

I know that both my father (a career officer who worked his way up the ranks and served in both WWII and Korea) and my brother (three tours in Nam because he felt his knowledge could save lives) would defend the right to kneel even if they might have disagreed with the message. I was taught that protest was far more American than apple pie, harkening back to the Boston Tea Party. I learned that loud, public protests could help end a war. I saw that quiet, peaceful marches and speeches and actions could bring about needed changes. I discovered that actions by celebrities can make a difference.

I’m not surprised by the vitriol spewed here but I am saddened by it. To say that someone is unAmerican or loves America less than you because they want to bring an injustice to the forefront is just wrong. I thought we had learned something from the old “America, love it or leave it,” but, apparently, I was wrong.

You don’t have to like the way someone protests but do try to understand the reason behind the protest, respect their right to protest, accept that they are Americans.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 09-05-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Name error
Old 09-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I don't think I have ever bought any product based on who advertises it. Does Kaepernick know anything about shoes?
Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gracie, well said. Thank you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

Tags
nike, product, buyohdear, freezes, boomwould

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.