Pickleball "true" advanced beginner schedule

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2021, 09:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Pickleball "true" advanced beginner schedule

Has anyone else noticed this? You show up at the place and time for "Beginner" or "Advanced Beginner" pickleball play as advertised in the Rec News and everyone there is intermediate or higher? Does anyone know of a court where true advanced beginners can play?

I know I can set up my own team, but that's not what I'm looking to do right now.
Thanks.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I have a suggestion. Try to find scheduled Beginner or Adv. beginner that doesn't start first thing. A lot of times the more advanced players will start playing at 7 but not get off at 9 when the beg or adv beg is scheduled. It jams the courts up. Also, they will trade places in line so that they're still playing with each other, making it even more confusing. After Christmas it will be worse. You may change your mind about forming a group and getting a court reservation (which are only available starting at noon in the high season).
On the other hand, playing "up" really raises your game.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have a suggestion. Try to find scheduled Beginner or Adv. beginner that doesn't start first thing. A lot of times the more advanced players will start playing at 7 but not get off at 9 when the beg or adv beg is scheduled. It jams the courts up. Also, they will trade places in line so that they're still playing with each other, making it even more confusing. After Christmas it will be worse. You may change your mind about forming a group and getting a court reservation (which are only available starting at noon in the high season).
Aha! Maintenant je le comprends! Les intermediares ne partent pas. Merci.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Not if you lose most of the time and morale takes a big hit.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,681 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? You show up at the place and time for "Beginner" or "Advanced Beginner" pickleball play as advertised in the Rec News and everyone there is intermediate or higher? Does anyone know of a court where true advanced beginners can play?

I know I can set up my own team, but that's not what I'm looking to do right now.
Thanks.
My wife and I just got back from playing tennis at El Santiago. The pickleball courts abut the tennis courts.

Frankly, I don't see the allure.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Thanks.
I can't agree more. I have even questioned people on why so many people who I consider intermediate or higher play at advanced beginner. They told me "there's really not much difference" or "there's a lot of overlap". that's not true, there's a great deal of difference. I have been made to feel that I'm inadequate to play there among them. I printed out the requirements for each level so if anyone says anything to me, I can show them I do meet the advanced beginner requirement and they should play elsewhere.

I had one woman say as she looked at me over the net "I don't want to play with her" because she didn't think it would be a good game.
I've had bangers slam balls at me. I believe it was to discourage me from lining up again to be in their four.

Advanced beginner used to be fun and social. I like to win, too, but I see adv. beginner level as trying to practice new things, socializing, and getting exercise. those that want to play at higher levels should go to the appropriate sessions. Some stay on after open hours, I realize, but then make us feel like we don't belong.

I asked a friend who is a top ranked player about it and he said some people just like to always win. pretty pathetic.

as to you get better playing with a better player, you can't get better if someone is slamming the ball at you with all their force. one time my partner actually told me to just get out of the way to avoid injury.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:48 PM
Platinum member

Yes it is a problem. I play tennis regularly and thought I'd add pickleball one day a week. As stated, most of the players are not beginners. Very difficult to play a game when advanced players just slam it at you. Fortunately some players will be gentler. Wish there were a place for just beginners.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Aha! Maintenant je le comprends! Les intermediares ne partent pas. Merci.
Bien sûr que ça peut être ennuyeux. And I get what you're saying if the upper level players are not playing nice. Plus if they were any good, they'd be dinking and not slamming. I hope you find someplace.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Well, start off all classes begin at 10AM or later when open play closes. The problem some don’t show up for open play till 9am or after. So they rarely get off the courts 10am. Only one Rec. center when I played advanced beginner’s years ago actually came out an run off all the open players at scheduled time, that was at Chula Vista. Rec. center where I play can’t even install zip tie on the wind screen when they get so bad blow out and hamper you’re backswing. So, bottom line be happy there someone there to play with. Beginning and advance is subjective anyway. They only way going to get better is practice and play.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 11-16-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Yes it is a problem. I play tennis regularly and thought I'd add pickleball one day a week. As stated, most of the players are not beginners. Very difficult to play a game when advanced players just slam it at you. Fortunately some players will be gentler. Wish there were a place for just beginners.
If you play tennis at least at medium level and know how to keep score and where to stand you should be above beginner. I don’t know where you’re going to beginners at, but saddlebrook, sea breeze, Chula Vista use to be good places to go, (but, don’t expect at 1001 am it will be only beginners) Everybody will slam ball when get pop up even the 4.5s or above, Which they will never play with anybody but in their click. And if they do you get unwelcome feeling immediately.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Bien sûr que ça peut être ennuyeux. And I get what you're saying if the upper level players are not playing nice. Plus if they were any good, they'd be dinking and not slamming. I hope you find someplace.
Nobody dinks pop up.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Great statement. I totally agree. Playing against better players in every sport is how your game improves. Clearly there will always be a few that are full of themselves. But overwhelmingly everyone was in your position at some point and will give you a chance to play and learn.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:51 AM

Groups with reservations in the Season from October to April can only reserve courts from noon on. Earlier times are for Open and League Play. I was told that if it's in the Rec News as Beginner Open Play or Advanced Beginner Open Play and there are rated/better players playing and they don't want to play with your level, you're to go to the Manager of that Recreation Center and make them aware of the situation. We have a group at Riverbend on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at Noon that are for Beginner/Advanced Beginner play. Sundays are for men and women - the other days are Ladies. We haven't had much turnout because of the time, but hoping that that will change with the cooler weather. Unless the courts are full, we have no problem allowing better players to play, but have asked some to leave in the past if we are full and they're not at our lower level of play. Some people have issues that prevent them from playing at a better level and it only seems fair for those playing at a lower level to have their own time to play.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:55 AM

Some people just want to show how wonderful they are by thrashing beginners - as always there are always a few bad apples.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
You got that right! It was almost enough to stop me from playing!
Closed Thread

Tags
advanced, beginner, pickleball, true, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.