Pickleball "true" advanced beginner schedule

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2021, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmaf6 View Post
Groups with reservations in the Season from October to April can only reserve courts from noon on. Earlier times are for Open and League Play. I was told that if it's in the Rec News as Beginner Open Play or Advanced Beginner Open Play and there are rated/better players playing and they don't want to play with your level, you're to go to the Manager of that Recreation Center and make them aware of the situation. We have a group at Riverbend on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at Noon that are for Beginner/Advanced Beginner play. Sundays are for men and women - the other days are Ladies. We haven't had much turnout because of the time, but hoping that that will change with the cooler weather. Unless the courts are full, we have no problem allowing better players to play, but have asked some to leave in the past if we are full and they're not at our lower level of play. Some people have issues that prevent them from playing at a better level and it only seems fair for those playing at a lower level to have their own time to play.
Very informative response! Wouldn't hurt to post this on the board outside the courts.

Stronger players should play nice, soften their game and help coach when playing against less experience players.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:05 AM

No matter in what you participate, you will find the same thing. The bad bowlers leagues have people who bowl close to 300 and are there just to practice for their league. We have people at our "social" shuffleboard leagues who play on advanced leagues, and again use us for practice. We just know that, and prefer to play with some better players and learn what they know. We just ignore their sometimes egotistical ways. We all get along and it's a celebration when we beat them every now and then.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmaf6 View Post
Groups with reservations in the Season from October to April can only reserve courts from noon on. Earlier times are for Open and League Play. I was told that if it's in the Rec News as Beginner Open Play or Advanced Beginner Open Play and there are rated/better players playing and they don't want to play with your level, you're to go to the Manager of that Recreation Center and make them aware of the situation. We have a group at Riverbend on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at Noon that are for Beginner/Advanced Beginner play. Sundays are for men and women - the other days are Ladies. We haven't had much turnout because of the time, but hoping that that will change with the cooler weather. Unless the courts are full, we have no problem allowing better players to play, but have asked some to leave in the past if we are full and they're not at our lower level of play. Some people have issues that prevent them from playing at a better level and it only seems fair for those playing at a lower level to have their own time to play.
Good luck with getting a manager to come out to help. Some of them are good, but many don't seem to know their jobs or don't want to get involved.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:36 AM
Default This..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Not if you lose most of the time and morale takes a big hit.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me with Platform Tennis. I was a HS asst. tennis coach, and wanted to learn Platform Tennis. We took the lessons, then went to join a “beginner” group to practice. I was the only “beginner” there..was having trouble making contact (way different length of racquet). They rotate partners. Instead of helping, people got mad when we lost. I left in tears, and never played Platform tennis again. I really loved it..but knew there was no way I could learn under those circumstances.
I hope the OP finds some people to practice with!
Old 11-17-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? You show up at the place and time for "Beginner" or "Advanced Beginner" pickleball play as advertised in the Rec News and everyone there is intermediate or higher? Does anyone know of a court where true advanced beginners can play?

I know I can set up my own team, but that's not what I'm looking to do right now.
Thanks.
I have a group playing on Mondays 2:00 at Moyer and Thursdays 3:00 Pimlico you are welcome to join us when you like. Small group fun play
Old 11-17-2021, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Very informative response! Wouldn't hurt to post this on the board outside the courts.

Stronger players should play nice, soften their game and help coach when playing against less experience players.

All reservations are posted on outside of court, the problem most don’t look at it. You can bet during season pretty much all courts are reserved after noon. So, most will be closed to open play. Last time I looked beginner and advanced play time are reserved daily throughout day at different locations.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 361 Posts

When my wife was a beginner we found the same thing. She went to the courts scheduled for beginners at 10 am and many of the players were actually the same folks that started playing during open play and were definitely NOT beginners. This was the case at 3 locations we tried.

Sad that many players won't leave and let the lower level player have their time. The rec center employees will seldom enforce it even if asked to.

The solution was to join a private group. Most meet at noon or later. A problem when the weather is hot but doable this time of year.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-17-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have a suggestion. Try to find scheduled Beginner or Adv. beginner that doesn't start first thing. A lot of times the more advanced players will start playing at 7 but not get off at 9 when the beg or adv beg is scheduled. It jams the courts up. Also, they will trade places in line so that they're still playing with each other, making it even more confusing. After Christmas it will be worse. You may change your mind about forming a group and getting a court reservation (which are only available starting at noon in the high season).
On the other hand, playing "up" really raises your game.
Very sorry to read this. I thought this kind of behavior was only seen at the sports pools.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:39 AM

I run a mixed group in NJ in the summer, many in my group have physical limitations and will never move beyond their current level. They truly love the game and play regularly. Our group will not tolerate meanness by more advanced players.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:21 AM

Yes - I guess WINNING is more important than learning to play the game well…. The true American ethic!
Old 11-17-2021, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,059 Times in 2,743 Posts

Another first world problem we Villagers must deal with : )
Old 11-17-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I can't agree more. I have even questioned people on why so many people who I consider intermediate or higher play at advanced beginner. They told me "there's really not much difference" or "there's a lot of overlap". that's not true, there's a great deal of difference. I have been made to feel that I'm inadequate to play there among them. I printed out the requirements for each level so if anyone says anything to me, I can show them I do meet the advanced beginner requirement and they should play elsewhere.

I had one woman say as she looked at me over the net "I don't want to play with her" because she didn't think it would be a good game.
I've had bangers slam balls at me. I believe it was to discourage me from lining up again to be in their four.

Advanced beginner used to be fun and social. I like to win, too, but I see adv. beginner level as trying to practice new things, socializing, and getting exercise. those that want to play at higher levels should go to the appropriate sessions. Some stay on after open hours, I realize, but then make us feel like we don't belong.

I asked a friend who is a top ranked player about it and he said some people just like to always win. pretty pathetic.

as to you get better playing with a better player, you can't get better if someone is slamming the ball at you with all their force. one time my partner actually told me to just get out of the way to avoid injury.
Wow, this is disheartening to hear! 😔 I thought people were there to enjoy their remaining years with fun times, not trying to dominate at pickelball for crying out loud!
Old 11-17-2021, 03:20 PM

Could it be that some enjoy competition, and obtain satisfaction from defeating others in a sport? Nothing wrong with that. After all, competition is an integral part of sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator_Girl View Post
Wow, this is disheartening to hear! 😔 I thought people were there to enjoy their remaining years with fun times, not trying to dominate at pickelball for crying out loud!
Old 11-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Could it be that some enjoy competition, and obtain satisfaction from defeating others in a sport? Nothing wrong with that. After all, competition is an integral part of sports.
I believe there definitely is something wrong with that when people are playing down to a lower level simply in order to win and thus taking the fun of the sport away from those trying to learn. And to do it in a vicious manner, slamming balls, aiming at people, etc., makes it even worse.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:14 PM
Default Pickleball beginners

I sorry to hear that some not all pickleball players are such
Jerks. All of us at one time were beginners and speaking for myself the people that taught me were patient and kind. However wit was not in the villages but in a adult community in NJ. I am always the same towards beginners and would hope other players are the same. That being said this not the first time I have heard this in the villages. Time for people to grow up and act like adults
Closed Thread

Tags
advanced, beginner, pickleball, true, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.